Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to say that I agree with Khaylara's comments about Kur being inaccessible (as in not being able to survive there) for lower geared /lower level players.

Currently I have 3 combat skill at 60-plus; I have Endurance at 60-plus. (This to indicate that yea I have been playing for quite a number of hours).
    But I still feel that the game ends for me in Eltibule and Sun Vale.

In the Kur the combo of the weather-effect and the slightly higher level mobs get me every time. And having to travel the entire map again from the Eltibule entrance to the NorthWest-village (Ukorga and Laura Neth) is dishearthening.
    In Ilmari and Rahu the mobs are just far to tough. I only travel through those area's either to join in a Mants group or to do a half-death-run to the NPC's

The suggestion to have LW recipes available in Eltibule, to be able to grind/craft some Winter gear, seems like a nice idea. (PLease also consider introducing a little more reliable way to get Wool. Maybe some higher level sheeps in either Eltibule or Sun Vale, that drop Wool when skinned ?)

Kind regards

Jacky

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackybah View Post
    I want to say that I agree with Khaylara's comments about Kur being inaccessible (as in not being able to survive there) for lower geared /lower level players.

Currently I have 3 combat skill at 60-plus; I have Endurance at 60-plus. (This to indicate that yea I have been playing for quite a number of hours).
    But I still feel that the game ends for me in Eltibule and Sun Vale.

In the Kur the combo of the weather-effect and the slightly higher level mobs get me every time. And having to travel the entire map again from the Eltibule entrance to the NorthWest-village (Ukorga and Laura Neth) is dishearthening.
    In Ilmari and Rahu the mobs are just far to tough. I only travel through those area's either to join in a Mants group or to do a half-death-run to the NPC's

The suggestion to have LW recipes available in Eltibule, to be able to grind/craft some Winter gear, seems like a nice idea. (PLease also consider introducing a little more reliable way to get Wool. Maybe some higher level sheeps in either Eltibule or Sun Vale, that drop Wool when skinned ?)

Kind regards

Jacky
    I have gotten wool a lot from mobs. Iv'e only done 4 things since the update - lab, mants, pask and farm endurance in rahu. I think I've gotten wool drops form lab mobs. I've never farmed Kur before. I only used the map for collecting mats and wolf cave. I think I've done Yetis once or twice. I don't plan on doing too much in Kur or the new map if it means I have to deal with weather this much. I have too many other things to occupy my time. I haven't even been to the new map yet and don't plan on going there for a few months at the earliest. In short, I spend 95% of my solo time in Rahu, Elt, Vale, etc...There is still plenty of things for me to do on those maps so I don't feel any pressure to deal with weather maps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    The price of unlocking new skills is way too high, to skip from 18 k to 90 k is a huge jump (I expected double so about 40 k)....Right now it feels like the only way to progress is to turn into a true farmer and play 8 to 10 hours a day to achieve anything...but the purpose of playing is to have fun and it does feel like a chore when you have to mindless farm for hours so you can unlock 1 skill. It sucks all the fun out of it imo. I understand the "we don't want you to do everything" stance and it's the right one from the developers but it has to be a better way to slow leveling and push us into specializing that turning the game into a grindfest.
    The prices to unlock + train level 70 skills is roughly 3 times what it was for level 60. Even if the vision is to make each level set take twice as long to get as the one before it (which seems unsustainable for level 80, 90, and 100), player-moneymaking-ability should have gone up by 1.5x. I'm pretty sure the average level 60 player doesn't make 1.5x what they did at 50, and if they do, it'd be through maxing various crafting skills.

I also believe that level 70 is too early to be forcing specialization. Because of the way mods work, it's too early to tell what a skill will play like at max rank because the relative power of stuff changes too much. At level 60, Pack Attack with all mods deals 627/792/957 (based on Pack Attack stacks) and Pouncing Rake deals 845. At level 70, Pack Attack deals 1183/1383/1583 and Pouncing Rake deals 1128. Why didn't Pouncing Rake's power scale as much as Pack Attack did? It's because Pack Attack got another rank on the way to 70, and Rake didn't. I am NOT trying to say that you should give Pouncing Rake another rank, or that you should buff its mods. Both abilities have their place, and you can find 5-10 examples like this in any skillset (or even skill combinations). I'm trying to illustrate that there are real, significant changes to a skill as you level up, and that it's not always obvious whether or not you'll enjoy a skill at level 100 based on your experiences at level 50.

What if I play Mentalism/Psychology and then realize I need more CC, or more damage, or more whatever to do level 100 content? What if I pick Knife Fighting instead of Archery because I love dots, then get to the level 80 zone and find that there are new Combat Wisdom options, or some new high-level-only treasure effect, or whatever? I would have preferred to play Archery, if only I'd known that the DoT-playstyle was going to be possible later.

I get that people will usually find a way to make it work, and that people are usually happier with choices that have long-lasting impacts, but asking them to make these uninformed decisions at level 70 seems like too much, too early.

I know that this is sort of odd criticism for me to make. Besides the full moon, my main skill has been Fire Magic for literally 2 years straight, and I'd look into the skill lines up to level 100 if I was thinking of playing something. But I doubt you're supposed to play the game like that, and I love the mod diversity and classless feel that the game currently has.

There's also the issue of increased specialization leading to a lower diversity of classes. The ideal would be an even distribution of most skills at max rank, but: balancing typically happens to max level skills, and these changes ripple down to the beginning stages. Even if every skill is perfectly equal at level 100, they won't be equal at level 60-70, or whenever players start to pick and choose what skills they want to specialize in. So the skill distribution will tend towards whatever skill was easiest at X level. You can kind of already see this with Ice Magic...because it's obtained late in the game and because the research mats are difficult for non-maxed players to get, it's become rare. Even though it's not really in a bad spot at all at max level.

Inventory-the gear we have equipped must be taken out of inventory and equipped into proper character slots.
    I've seen the devs respond to this before with "we've already added extra inventory slots to compensate for equipment," but new players don't know that. Pleasepleaseplease have a different spot for showing equipped items in the new GUI, even if you remove inventory slots for it.

In all honesty the thing I enjoyed most from the updates that happen during the last couple of months is the NPCs mobility and dialogues...Sorry if this sounds like negative nancy stuff but I really want you to understand where it comes from. This game had a sense of wonder that is hard to find in other MMOs these days. I don't like instant gratification in a game but I also came to dislike grindfest types of games )I played too many of those lol). P:G managed to hit the right spot for a long time but lately the excessive grinding required is driving it further from that "right spot".
    Ditto for me. I'm still exploring the new dungeons, but so far my favorite bit of the patch is new player-lore and the volume on Vol and Arisetsu <3

Aggro Range
    - I suspect this change is in line with Citan's recent changes to speed buffs during combat. A new zone is introduced and many players can simply fly over and skip content & landscape. It's important for me to note now that Hood is not a druid and I do not farm WOPs in order to fly over mobs.
    The call for help range isn't a big deal (although I'm pretty sure it increased on some mobs), the default aggro range is much more annoying to me. Thankfully it looks like it was only extended in the open world, dungeons seem the same.

I can't understand what the point is. It's not a significant nerf (at all) to druids, you just fly a few meters higher. Since the terrain is mountainous, it was already optimal anyway to fly >40 meters above the ground. It's not really a nerf to players who use single-loadout speed gear, they just have to get used to going a little bit farther around ranged mobs. It's ONLY a nerf to multi-loadout speed gear because it takes slightly longer to get out of "pseudocombat" and switch loadouts. Not really significant here either, more of a nuisance. It's probably dropped my run speed by 5%, but increased annoyance with the combat system (that I already strongly disliked) by like 50%.

If this WASN'T a specific nerf to OOC movement and instead a general thing, then it's an objectively huge change and IMO deserved at least a little blurb in the patch notes.

Regardless, the aggro changes do allow us to experience more of the content Citan has worked hard on.
    Well, I want to play the interesting stuff. I want to play Orc City and Ghost Town. I want to play all the new dungeons. I want to talk to the funny NPCs, I want to run around collecting yellow crystals. What I DON'T want to do is fight the boring, uninspired mass of random mobs in Gazluk.

It sounds harsh, and I'm sorry for that, and I'm sorry for not really having any solutions. Rahu suffers from the same problem. I know that it's there as a placeholder for future development, but it's still annoying. I prefer to play the "real" content, the stuff that (I'm assuming) 90% of the effort went into.

If the aggro range was specifically intended to make people fight those mobs more, please reconsider. If it wasn't for that, please consider the unintended effects it has in other zones.
    Last edited by Extractum11; 01-25-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Formatting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then you have people like me. I started playing this game in November or 2014. I'm not even at a level where I can specialize in 2 maybe 3 max combat skills. I have to level the associated skills to max first just to get the most of out of lvl 60 usage. For example, my hammer is lvl 60 but buckling artistry is like 22. To level buckle artistry i need to be able to craft different types of dyes which means being able to grow different types of flowers.

I guess what I'm saying is this patch hasn't hit me as hard as others because I can't even specialize yet. The fact that hammer and shield lvl 70 unlocks are way off in the future for me. In the end I get to enjoy the lvl 60 and lower content. My main issue is going to be that the players I'm accustomed to seeing in said content will leave me in the dust as they are off working on lvl 70 content. I will have to patiently wait on all the new players to get to lvl 60.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On first, limited, exploration, I really like the new zone - it's very pretty and I like the idea of moving from one warm spot to the next to continue exploring. Finding that big wooden *warm* tower just when i needed it was neat. I'm also very happy the zone has a map already - I found it pretty difficult to navigate in other pre-map zones.

It seems that Gazluk might have been created with the expectation of mounts, which of course we don't have yet. I was able to compensate for my +1 cold mitigation and total lack of campfires quite well by using mutated toes + haste concoction + take the lead. My goal though was just trying to find the battle chemistry trainer and then go back to warmer zones until I level up more. Exploring carefully on a slower-moving character could be difficult.

One thing I didn't like in Gazluk is that mobs seemed to camp cave exits at times - I'd walk out and be right in combat. It would be nice if they pathed a little further away, so you can at least get your bearings first when you come out.

Kur: What I'd like is to have the outpost next to the zone-in, or at least a bit more convenient to reach. The way the zone currently is set up just doesn't make much sense to me: I take a path from Eltibule, come out on an ice-covered, featureless glacier with bears, and then start running northwest across the snow because ... oh, yes, because the Wiki tells me there's stuff there. Why is there stuff there? I've no idea. There is a hangout with Ukorga to shovel snow off the road, and every time I do it, I wonder *what* road?
    If Ukorga's inn was nearer the zone-in and something road-like, it would both make more sense and allow new players to get a foothold in Kur. They can tell it's a cold zone and they might want protection if they venture further away from that nice warm inn, and conveniently there's Ukorga right there selling recipes. The suggestion to have the winter recipes in Eltibule would of course also work, and not require any zone re-work. But then I still wouldn't know why there's an inn without a road...

I think it would also make more sense to not lose body heat in combat, or lose it much more slowly. I just finished killing three wolves, and am frantically trying to hold two more at bay and I die of ... exposure to freezing temperatures? I feel pretty hot with those wolves breathing down my neck, thank you for asking. It also seems the exploding fire sheep could warm me up a bit.

I never spent much time in Kur, even before the changes to the way the cold worked. With the latest patch, I'm actually pretty excited about seeing whether I can craft a set of gear to withstand the cold, and figure out the camp fires, and get my first aid up to learn that frostbite treatment. I'm a slow player though, and it will be some time before I have constructive feedback on that. For now, it just looks pretty interesting.

And on a random, unrelated note, I'm really thrilled to be able to finally level battle chemistry! I like leveling, so when I'd maxed out battle chemistry a few months ago, I switched to another skill set - I didn't realize how much I'd missed it until I started playing with it again now.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whole areas lack storage options, like Amulna or even Eltibule, maybe Sunvale too.
    I can't speak for Amulna, but Eltibule has Sie Antry's spare room and the council storage machine in Hogan's Keep. Sun Vale has storage from both Agrashab and Sylvia.

I do agree with you that storage in general is rough to manage, but we'll see what happens with the new UI.

Unified combat skills training system (ie druid, archery,shield skills split between too many random NPCs, some don't have anything to do with these skills and it's confusing).
    I actually like it that skills are split between different NPCs - it makes exploration more rewarding, and gives me a reason to raise favor with all those fun NPCs. The flip side to that is that I sometimes get frustrated when I find lots of gear with a mod for a particular skill, and I have no idea where to get that skill.

Azalak is currently a pretty scary multi-tasking necro druid archer alchemist, but I think the intent is that some of those skills will get moved to more appropriate NPCs eventually.

What I don't like is raising favor with NPCs that aren't completely written yet. I know it's one of the fun features of alpha, but I don't like just tossing random stuff at NPCs until they'll train me. I like to have conversations with them and enjoy the increased favor dialogs, and feel like I'm getting to know them. So, I think I actually prefer that existing, completed NPCs temporarily teach some abilities that don't really make sense for them.

More teleporting and travel options (It will be a while till we get mounts and it's very annoying to be forced to cross 3-4 zones on foot)
    That would be nice. I'm currently pretty reluctant to play my alts because they are so *slow* without battle chemistry and it takes me forever to get them anywhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its funny that some of the storage is so far out of the way that you have to make up reasons why you'd store anything there. Vale is that for me. I can only imagine Vale being important if you are an animal. I don't even know if the hammer npc will talk to an animal. I so hope they add the ability to draw from storage anywhere in the world.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Tagamogi I was thinking precisely of Azalak, the druid abilities could've been added on the druid trainer in Rahu. Necro skills got moved from Azalak at Jumjab and instead of necromancer and alchemist he becomes a bug of the renaissance, skilled in everything Few other skills are quite widely spread, most new people have no idea Flia even trains unarmed, etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new zone, but I agree with many others..... The cold mechanics are just too extreme at the moment. It has created situation similar to magic find gear you see in a lot of Diablo clones. You are sort of forcing people into suboptimal gear, and that grates on a lot of people. There are a few folks that get into crafting sets of winter gear, but a lot of folks are put off and skip huge chunks of content. I think if body heat drained at a rate closer to what you see with Hydration in Illmari it would be a lot more palatable. It still requires some thought, but you aren't dad dicking people out of the content you worked so hard to create.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking precisely of Azalak, the druid abilities could've been added on the druid trainer in Rahu.
    That would not have been good for low-level druids. I have a level 35 druid who is still feeling pretty scared of Sun Vale - she is not visiting Rahu anytime soon. Since there is low-level gear with mods for the skills that Azalak trains, it makes sense to have the skills available in a lower-level zone. If, perhaps, not on Azalak. But I guess he got a druid hat as part of his hat collection. ( I initially had no idea Azalak was training druid skills, must have missed it in the patch notes. When I found gear with interesting new mods on my druid, I looked all over Sun Vale, deeply convinced there must be a druid there that would train me in those missing skills. I didn't figure out the druid I was looking for was Azalak until weeks later...)

Flia for unarmed works fine for me since she is at least in the starter zone, if not all that easy to find. I'm a bit unconvinced on having sword and shield skills require friendship with a staff/unarmed trainer first though (Hogan).

Thread Footer