Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Thread: Reward Tiers
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal[801] View Post
    Easylivin - fyi I have several skills at 70+ and will have several more there way before steam release. The last thing I want is a skill wipe - I will QUIT altogether if this happens and I did buy the $75 package. Again, I just don't see how wiping things other than skills is doing the community/new players good. Having people skilled/geared only helps the newer players - this isn't a PvP game so why not?
    Lets discuss!

BTW banging your head against the wall was a joke, but with all jokes there is some truth. The biggest advantage we all have is that we have played the game. We know how to get to Serbule from the island, newbies joining at release have no clue. We know that Kur exists, newbies have no clue. and on and on...

Getting a character back to where we are all now, if there was a wipe, would not take too long maybe 2 weeks to get the first combat skills to 70. Then a month to raise crafting and several other combat skills. So how would a skill wipe help the new players? It gives them nothing. The only thing they would get is a recent point in time that everyone would have nothing. If they log in 2 minutes later, they are already behind.

I would argue that the point in time when everyone had nothing has already passed. It is fairly easy to level once you know what you are doing. A full skill wipe would not help the community feel better about helping QA the alpha, and beta.

Item and money wipe will help. People have hoarded items for months/years. If all items/money are wiped it allows the devs to set new spawn, and drop rates. It helps the economy or "corrects" it more towards what the devs want.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has there been any statement about whether abilities will be wiped? A number of times the devs have said that we'll keep most of our skill levels but does that include knowledge of any rare recipes we've acquired/purchased?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming from a months worth of experience in PG. So expert opinion here HAHA!

When I first started this game I'm not going to lie I was unimpressed. The character runs at the speed of a snail, the inventory issues are heartbreaking having to drop stuff to later find out it is very useful, and the power/resource management was a headache.

As soon as I made it to serbule, I was able to witness some veterans running around at light speed, items in the used tabs with extra inventory, and modifiers for power/resource management that put my mind at ease. I know my opinion isn't much, but if I had started with all noobs trekking around at the same slow pace with the same outfit on I don't think I would have given this game a chance. It's nice to see what the future holds by witnessing veterans do what they do. It gave me relief that my frustrations could be hashed out by grinding more and earning it. Just a thought.

Like most are saying, the items will be gone regardless and that seems to be the biggest grind. As far as skills, after a month I don't see it making a difference wiping them or not. The grind is for gear, skill levels come too easily imo.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    Has there been any statement about whether abilities will be wiped? A number of times the devs have said that we'll keep most of our skill levels but does that include knowledge of any rare recipes we've acquired/purchased?
    Yes, read EasyLivin's post including Citan's quote. Some skillsets might be entirely reworked (it happened with few already, augmentation for example, also many combat skills were revamped to the point where they look new) and everything is subject to change, but afaik he intends to keep our characters and the skill levels. I'd expect we get new abilities that we'd have to learn like it just happened when we got the level cap unlocked recently (abilities like restorative arrow, mangling shot, agonize, mock etc are new).

@Tekrun-I had the same reaction, I saw actually a veteran player running me through crypt with a horde of pets and killing everything like a storm and I decided I wanna be like that when I grow up.
    Last edited by Khaylara; 03-04-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    Yes, read EasyLivin's post including Citan's quote. Some skillsets might be entirely reworked (it happened with few already, augmentation for example, also many combat skills were revamped to the point where they look new) and everything is subject to change, but afaik he intends to keep our characters and the skill levels. I'd expect we get new abilities that we'd have to learn like it just happened when we got the level cap unlocked recently (abilities like restorative arrow, mangling shot, agonize, mock etc are new).
    Sorry i'm still not seeing it. I read the quote a few times. It certainly refers to skill levels, but i don't see anything about abilities. Maybe i'm just blind -- if it's not too much trouble would you mind quoting the sentence/paragraph?

Also can you explain what you mean about getting new abilities with the level cap? Are you saying you got the next level of mangling shot for free if you had high enough Archery, when otherwise the player would have to pay for it?
    Last edited by alleryn; 03-04-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "The characters you are building now in alpha will not be completely wiped out at launch. We will be wiping some aspects of your characters, but not everything. In particular, we will be wiping items and money, but we won't be wiping most skill levels".

The abilities I mentioned as example are new, implemented iirc with the lvl 70 cap update. We had to go back to the lower level trainers and learn them starting with the lowest tier. Over time many skillsets were changed as in new abilities were added (lycanthropy is a good example), abilities effects changed and also the armor/weapon modifiers were severely changed. During alpha and beta that will still happen a lot. As an example say at launch you are archer level 92 (random example), you will most likely be level 92 but what he's saying is that many of the archery abilities might be changed and the players will have to adapt and relearn some things.

Citan phrased it the way he did imo to underline that boosts, nerfs and gear modifiers (or even the crafting system) might go through some changes. As a developer he reserves the right to do so and gives the players a fair warning. There were many cases when players complained a lot about "nerfs" to their skills.
    I'm not sure if it's noticeable after a short period of time but there are balance issues between the combat skillsets. When I started lycans were quite OP, now it's archery and staff etc. He might change that and he doesn't want people to expect to have a certain build for ever and get upset when it changes. If some players are excessively attached to their gear and skillsets it's probably better to come back for the real launch when things would be if not definitive at least more settled.

So yeah, we keep the characters and the skill levels and get a money and gear wipe. Citan and other staff members said that quite a few times. Expect some abilities to change though even in the near future, way before launch. It's alpha still and nothing is set in stone.

PS I doubt that new abilities would be "for free", we had to pay for them every time it was a change in abilities. Afaik the rare crafting
    recipes were kept but many of them require different ingredients now (i.e. different types of hammers or wood glue or vinegar, stuff that did not exist in game till recently).
    Last edited by Khaylara; 03-04-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Ummm I think this thread went WAY off topic.

Just a general comment here.

The game is in Alpha. You will be lucky if anything is saved. At least when it goes to steam you have the knowledge to play well. Those who would "quit" because they lose anything obviously are not using the alpha in the right frame of mind as you are simply a tester at this point.

Looks like if you support the game through the tiers you get rewards that give you advantages other new players will not ever get. That is only fair because we who are supporting this game financially are the ones who will be giving it life!

Bugs in the game did give some extra advantages which should be wiped.

This game is not a player versus player game so losing your alpha gained anything does not matter.

I tend to like the idea of keeping my char and some skills because higher level chars can help new players as it was in AC. Boolan helped many new players when he was there.

One point one person stated in here was that it may become difficult for leveling and hunting if a lot of new people come in when the game launches. I tend to agree as it is already difficult for instance to hunt the cows in Etibule when say 3 or 4 people are doing the same. Believe that expansion of the territory is in order.
    Reason:
    If we all lose our chars and levels....we all are going to be in Etibule tryin to kill cows and panthers! hehe.

Anyway it is nice to see the passion you as players have for this game. It once was that way with AC many years ago. This game has much potential for becoming bigger than any other. The only problem I see is with the land mass. It needs to expand greatly to provide for an army of new players!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry for continuing this off-topic tangent, but i think it's almost concluded so making a new thread at this point seems a bit excessive. If you disagree or it goes on much longer, i'll start a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    "The characters you are building now in alpha will not be completely wiped out at launch. We will be wiping some aspects of your characters, but not everything. In particular, we will be wiping items and money, but we won't be wiping most skill levels". So yeah, we keep the characters and the skill levels and get a money and gear wipe. Citan and other staff members said that quite a few times.
    None of that mentions abilities one way or the other, only skill levels, money and items. I don't see anything in that statement inconsisitent with the possibility that the skill levels could be preserved but the abilities would all have to be relearned (and scroll-drop recipes re-found). I appreciate what you are saying about abilities being re-worked, but i think that's a somewhat separate issue from the wipe.

Just getting to keep the unlocks to level 70 translates to a boatload of money (something like 70k+ per skill you've gotten to 70). As the cap rises this will only increase. If abilities are included, that's another heap of cash.

But perhaps more significant are the recipes received from drop scrolls. Even many of the low-level ones are quite difficult to acquire (or maybe i just lack the knowledge, but the ones i've asked about either no one knows or cares to share the information) and i have not been able to find in buy-used sections.

Not really trying to pass judgment on this, just pointing out that as far as i can see, there has been no developer comment on whether abilities and recipes will be preserved or only skill levels. Obviously favor is another big one. That one i've seen asked about multiple times with the response just being "it's still up in the air'.[/quote]

The abilities I mentioned as example are new, implemented iirc with the lvl 70 cap update.
    For what it's worth, mangling shot and restorative arrow were added in the Oct 29 update http://projectgorgon.com/member-foru...ober-29-update. Not sure about the others.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    Sorry for continuing this off-topic tangent, but i think it's almost concluded so making a new thread at this point seems a bit excessive. If you disagree or it goes on much longer, i'll start a new one.

alleryn can't you just work with the information that is given. Just assume that everything but a few skills will be wiped. Use your time and in-game resource to max out your favorite skills. Near wipe, dump all your stored goods into maxing your favorite skills. Anything left over dump into filling out your other skills, abilities and then into favor. Otherwise just play the game like you normally would play. If favor or abilities are not wiped consider it a joyous occasion, if they are you are expecting it and haven't lost anything that you wouldn't have lost anyway. Make it a game in itself, guess what will get wiped and what won't if you guess right and get something that is maxed, that you get to keep, you win.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShieldBreaker View Post
    alleryn can't you just work with the information that is given. Just assume that everything but a few skills will be wiped. Use your time and in-game resource to max out your favorite skills. Near wipe, dump all your stored goods into maxing your favorite skills. Anything left over dump into filling out your other skills, abilities and then into favor. Otherwise just play the game like you normally would play. If favor or abilities are not wiped consider it a joyous occasion, if they are you are expecting it and haven't lost anything that you wouldn't have lost anyway. Make it a game in itself, guess what will get wiped and what won't if you guess right and get something that is maxed, that you get to keep, you win.
    Sure, i just was wondering if other people were working with information i hadn't seen.

Thread Footer