Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestion: Cold resistance "augments" for existing gear

The problem I'm trying to solve is that by the time players are ready to venture into Kur or Gazluk, they are usually very attached to their existing gear and unwilling to trade it out for cold resistance gear, even if they have the crafting skills required to make that gear.

So, I think we could use cold resistance augment-type recipes that use up gear enhancement points and allow players to add cold resistance to their existing gear. We could have fur padding from leatherworking, wool insulation from tailoring, snow hare spirit from shamanic infusion, plain old cold resistance from augmentation,...

Some additional recipes to remove existing augments/armor patches/other things using up enhancement points might also be needed, so players can replace their existing enhancements with cold resistance if they choose. People might still not like giving up their enhancement points to get cold resistance, but I think they might be more open to to that than getting completely new gear, especially if the cold resistance aug can be removed later if they decide they no longer need it and want to use something else.

Ideally, I think the cold resistance augs would require minimal crafting skills, just so that new players will stop feeling intimidated by Kur. Having tradeable cold resistance augs might also be nice. This could potentially set up a consumable market where some players craft cold resistance augs that can be applied by anyone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is unfortunate that progression requires going through Kur and Gazluk. As a general rule of thumb, zones with penalties simply for being in them should be presented as parallel (and more rewarding) paths of progression instead of as the only available paths of progression.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any problems in the desert, but the cold... I dunno, it's just not worth looking for cold gear because once you have it, well, you've already been in the cold places a long time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole concept of environmental damage doesn't provide fun for me. Ilmari/Rahu, meh, I'll just die and run back to where I left off. No big deal, so why even have dehydration?
    In Kur/Gazluk, all the content outdoor is lost on me. I sometimes grab some Wolfsbane and Tundra Lichen when I have a real need for them, but for longer sessions, I hunt in dungeons. I was very disappointed when I was clad in full winter gear in Kur, yet the cold dot still ticked down. Gazluk, I only fly there. I simply can't do outdoor adventuring like in Eltibule, which is a damn shame, because it's easily the prettiest and most atmospheric zone in the game, with it's high mountains, snow covered houses and snow falling.

It should have been a speed debuff, both skill speed and run speed, with the skill speed being countered by winter gear and the slow run speed (making fleeing impossible) and even disabled flying being part of the zone.

If winter gear is needed in Kur/Gaz, why don't you sweat like crazy in it in the desert? Make it fizzle a percentage of your skills/spells there.

But remove the Dot. It's not fun and not creative and completely shuts down my desire to explore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    I haven't had any problems in the desert, but the cold... I dunno, it's just not worth looking for cold gear because once you have it, well, you've already been in the cold places a long time.
    I guess I can agree with that. The desert isn't nearly as bad as the cold areas and probably shouldn't be compared.

Cold areas, however, are just areas to avoid at best and simply run through at worst. They're neither challenging, nor fun... just annoying. Ultimately, I ended up shelving Project Gorgon for the time being and chose to play other games instead.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I love the fire mechanic, honestly. Reminds me of the snowy plain from FF7. It's just I have so much trouble getting gear in the first place, getting a special set of it for the winter just seems utterly pointless.

...And the gear I have is so skin-showing anyhow. Ugh. Maybe all gear should have differing temperature mods? And ways that we can use to convert it from one style to another, instead of it being so difficult to level it up or get new gear?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about cold being a bit much. I dread having to take off my current good gear which is loaded with pockets just to deal with surviving the cold. As an Ice Mage, I should have some resistance to cold weather. There is a potion I found on a body that raises my cap to 90 and body temp remaining while in battle, but I can't find that recipe in my alchemy list or on trainers so far.

I wish we had a slot for a nice overcoat we could put on and take off depending on where we are...that would be cool.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have trouble with the cold a little bit, but I don't really feel that it needs to change. Plenty of more content to be added so other level 70 zones and more ways to manage the cold are likely. The orc race is probably going to have little problem with cold from the get go. Dwarf and Fae may also have easier goes.

I focus on collecting Misery Trooper lvl 70 gear which helps. If we take out the challenge, how can we feel like we are making progress. Kur way back use to seem like a frozen hell, hated the place, now it doesn't bother me at all. I expect someday I will say the same thing about Gazluk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of cold augments, but am not sure that it would be aligned with the design /ethos of the game and the intended experience.
    After all, you don't go walking in winter in northern Canada, Siberia, etc. with your usual moderate clothing - unless you want to die.
    As usual, in PG there are consequences to your decisions: if you wear armor more suited to Sun Vale then you can expect to die, or you can equip winter gear and live , but suffer from the cold.

I would also point out that there are plenty of mechanisms for people to use to survive the cold debuff - if they are willing to adapt and evolve.
    Being a bit harsh, but it reminds me of Darwinism in reverse - I needed to adapt to survive, but didn't want to do so, so please change the rules /game design.

It is also worth pointing out, that with the required gear, build, buffs, potions, etc. you can become immune to the Kur cold (& even able to ignore the Gazluk debuff). It just takes preparation and planning. There is even a NPC in Kur who will barter with you for cold-weather gear.

However, I think that that NPC is missing a sales opportunity and should relocate his shop to the portal in the south of Kur as he would sell a lot more gear.

The point about being forced to experience Kur is well made and it would be nice to have an alternate path /zone, but PG doesn't do 'nice' very well. It would rather kill you, stomp all over your grave and laugh at you (which is part of its' appeal). Perhaps one day we might get something, but for now, you might have to 'learn to adapt' = it is good for the economy and crafters amongst us

PG isn't for everyone, but for me surviving in Kur is just another puzzle that has to be overcome in order to progress in the game. I would not like PG to transform into a hand-holding experience along the lines of most cookie-cutter games.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Baldrith if you're using ice magic, you should have ice protection ability you can put on side bar. The cold protection scroll can be found in the red crystal dungeon. I too struggled with the cold until I had enough and crafted a set of winter gear, gotta say was impressed with the resistance it gives, basically winter gear + cold protection potion I'm good for a long time in Kur, Gaz seems stronger cold so I add a orcish thick potion.

Thread Footer