Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Community Challenges/Guilds?

So I've been thinking on something like this for awhile, and I don't think we need any additional mechanics for these two ideas in particular, as long as everyone plays fair.

Anyways, I've been looking for more reasons to play differently than I normally would - and I have a couple ideas to that end, but they'd only be worth doing if there was a fair amount of interest.

So for challenge one:

You have to make a new character. You can only trade/party with people also participating in the challenge; you cannot trade with your other characters. The character must be otherwise independent. If you die (excluding death through falling through the world, or otherwise unavoidable deaths), you're out of the league.

Leader-board is based on notoriety. Edit: Plus endurance & lore, for a total score. Characters can prove creation via /age, and screen shot other stats when they die.

So the challenge is simple; live long enough to gain as much notoriety as you possibly can. When you die, post in the guild/community thread what your notoriety was, and what killed you.

Signed up:
    1) Hood
    2) Vzi
    3) ProfessorCat
    4)Aedorn

I'm currently attempting this challenge, with my first character dying fairly early to a stupid mistake (see page 2).

As a final addition for the sake of clarification - You cannot pick up items off the ground or buy items from the used-by tab. The only way you should get items is from your own work (or trading with another person participating in the challenge).

It's actually pretty fun, even the tutorial island can be lethal if you're not careful.

----------------------------

And for Challenge two:

Each player is assigned a random animal form; you cannot trade (but you may party) with people not in this challenge. You cannot dispel this form. I.e. you cannot, through any means, acquire materials like lumber, or otherwise craft goods yourself unless an animal can get that particular skill.
    The exception is endurance; you may unlock this through whatever means necessary (i.e. getting lumber from an alt for the NPC and a word of power to talk to her) as this skill is a necessity.

Edit: Illusions, including the spider illusion, are not allowed except for Endurance training. This challenge is not competitive, but rather endurance; how long can you play a character under these restrictions?

Signed Up:
    1) Vzi

--

And a third bonus challenge:

Gain as much notoriety on a new character as possible (without high level help), within an hour of its creation.

--

Anyways, that's what I've got so far. Again, we'd need a fair few people to make these challenges worthwhile. Prizes and incentives would make this more appealing as well, I'd imagine (*cough cough*), but it's mostly just to mix things up. For the most part, we'd need to assume that people wouldn't cheat, but I believe very few people actually would, given it's entirely voluntary anyway.

So anyone interested in something like this?

Edit: Post here or let Vzi (me) know in-game if you're interested!

Edit 2: If you'd like to add additional rules, post 'em below and I'll update the main post. People in that challenge can vote on any rules that are particularly controversial.

Edit 3: Before we can work on the issues (i.e. the honor code), it's important we muster enough interest! So please post here and let me know what challenge you're interested in!
    Last edited by Oxlazr; 02-02-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A similar idea would be a cooperative challenge. X number of people start new characters and can't trade and try to overcome Y obstacle in Z time.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely interested in Challenges 1 & 3. Mostly Challenge 1. Hardcore mode here is really cool, but permadeath is true hardcore mode in Diablo 3, which is what I'm used to. I will say though that for both of these challenges, there needs to be a tertiary goal other than notoriety farming. Any ideas? The leaderboard can't be determined off of just 1 statistic.
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, for a lot of people making a character specifically to compete in that challenge, I'd imagine that character dying would essentially mark its death - but there's no obligation to delete it if you wanted to use it as an alt.

It's kind of hard to determine what scoring system could be used. I'd imagine endurance plus primary skill level, but then certain skills definitely have an advantage (as they get bonus levels easier, plus various skills have different caps). Notoriety just felt like the most fair measure - and it's easy to track, as long as people don't cheat and use higher level players, or those outside of the challenge, to get kills on those monsters.

As for co-operative challenges, that's certainly a good idea - but I feel like, as a starting point, we need challenges people can join at any time, so that might be something to consider if these challenges pan out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interested in challenge 1 - permadeath alt sounds good!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think these are great ideas. I'd be most interested in The hardcore challenge.

My only reservation is that if it remains player ran, it's based off the honor system of not receiving outside help, as well as actually staying in HC mode (though deaths would show either way)

It would also be great if there was a way to start as a HC player on the island, rather than waiting until you reach serbule to change over.

Count me in for the initial race!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorCat View Post
    My only reservation is that if it remains player ran, it's based off the honor system of not receiving outside help, as well as actually staying in HC mode (though deaths would show either way)
    We definitely can't postpone it to wait for devs to get involved.
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would also be great if there was a way to start as a HC player on the island, rather than waiting until you reach serbule to change over.
    This shouldn't be an issue, given if you die once you're out of the challenge (on that character) regardless; /age and your death level should be able to prove what killed you (and people should be able to weigh the legitimacy of your progress)

Ideally, we'd simply have a flag "Immortal" - for new characters that have never died (excluding deaths through falling through the map) to easily identify others in the challenge.

Though obviously flagging for HC has it perks, so people will probably do that anyway - there's no particular rush for it.

I'd like to imagine when someone dies - the community as a whole may be losing a proficient crafter, tank or healer, and things like necromancy runs will be that much more exciting. I just really hope people can stick with an honour code.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably not going to accept this challenge at this point. I just changed my build and need to get my combat skills back to max level (that for me is 60/60). But I find it interesting how many people would be willing to do challenge 1. Alts don't have a lot of value right and we are given at least 4 character slots. You can probably continue with challenges like this for newly created characters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Spiritfingers

Yeah, the challenges are for new characters. Just a bit of fun to mix things up, I don't expect these characters to retain much value beyond the challenge - and certainly, being limited to 4 character slots is a bit of a hindrance (although it's possible to make a new account, I suppose)

As for the first challenge, I personally think it's exciting when you change from "when" to "if" a character will achieve a certain goal, though it's definitely not something that will appeal to everyone.

We can work on other challenges later, though, if you had anything specific you'd like to try.

Thread Footer