Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    Class balance matters even in PvE if you want players to be playing on the same field. The difference is the balance you're aiming at is so that players don't end up uninvited to groups or not able to complete solo content.
    Ah yes, reminds me of being a ranger in early EQ...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balance in PvE only matters when dungeons are designed so that DPS only parties can complete them, which is thankfully not the direction P:G seems to be going

A lot of the developers working on MMOs these days don't seem to enjoy playing MMOs much less understand the basics of building them

A proper MMO dungeon should require the skills of healers, tanks and controllers to complete it

The goal of playing in a group should be to fulfill one's role in the group, and the goal of the group should be to complete the content together as a team

This requires commitment to one's role and team, and this is a fundamental aspect of the mmoRPG genre... Even though we are not all into "Role-Playing" to the extend of talking funny and pretending to actually BE a pig-wizard living in a fantasy land, we should at least pretend that the "lives" and goals of our teammates matter and that they are more than a means to an end

Fantasy mmoRPGs draw in players from other genres of game because they are generally more complex, their worlds more rich and interesting and because their communities are less caustic than other types of games that attract hyper-competitive and aggressive players

Unfortunately, a lot of these "gamers" don't adapt as well as they'd like to think they do, and they advocate changes to make their new game more like all those other games they are used to... and when developers acceed to those demands, the underlying mmoRPG gets lost

Having a rich and complex world that is true to its core fundamentals CAN attract millions of players, and sure, it would be awesome if that happened, but the internet is so littered with "MMOS" that abandoned their roots, simplified their games and Quality-of-Life'd themselves to death in hope of getting a piece of that sweet WoW pie that any mmoRPG that doesn't follow that path is expected to wither and die... though none of those wannabes ever last long and none have supplanted WoW despite many years of trying

Back to balance... Obviously, you can't "balance" all classes to do equal DPS, which is the trap most MMOs (especially those that focus on PvP) fall into, as healers, tanks and controllers simply should not be relied upon to deal damage

Though there could be a case made for balance among roles... That's also not an issue with properly designed content because any damage dealer that out aggros the tank will likely take more damage than the healer can handle and die, at which point he is no longer capable of fulfilling his role

As for the support roles, while there may well be optimal tank, heal and CC builds, as a predominantly support oriented player I can attest that we generally are not as competitive as those that prefer DD roles, and our sense of personal achievement comes more from focusing on the group capability we provide

So, while one DD class may be able to out DPS another in a theoretical sense if set up precisely to do that, the risk involved in doing so should make that an impractical and undesirable choice in group content

As for solo content and leveling, I believe the AoE nerf is the first step toward adding more risk to glass cannon builds, and its also important to remember that players are able to effectively min-max to level 80+ in a game that right now does not offer any content at that level

A mmoRPG that requires balancing is one where the content has not provided it, so before we call for balance, why don't we wait to see what the finished game gives us?

In the mean time, I think its important to remember that every skill brings something unique and (potentially) important to a group, so maybe we should focus on suggestions that build on those unique qualities rather than trying to figure out how to build every skill to accomplish the exact same
    things

Oh yeah... this discussion was supposed to be about PvP... meh... still not a fan

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the chance of ever getting a millions players is small.

So sure, when we get a million players we can have a serious pvp discussion

And drop it until then.
    Last edited by Mikhaila; 06-13-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroanth View Post
    Meh, I think the whole tank/healer/dps role crap needs to die. Being pigeon-holed isn't fun. That's what makes me excited about PG so far, and you can cooperate well and devise your own roles and strategies without being pigeon-holed from the get-go.
    I actually kinda like having clearly defined roles. Grouping in GW2 wasn't all that fun for this reason - it was just a race to pile on as much damage as possible. Having played a variety of MMOs over the last 20 years, I have enjoyed the ones where I had a defined role in the group more. I loved tanking in WoW and DDO. I loved being a cleric in EQ1 and EQ2. I like playing a support bard/ment in this, making sure songs and ment buffs are always running when it matters. I think this game does a good job of giving classes a group identity while also making most classes soloable through most content. That's a tough balance to strike.

Also, no thank you to PvP. I'd rather have 100% dev time spent on the PvE experience, and 100% of the player base dedicated to experiencing it. No illusions about PvP, please.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh, I think the whole tank/healer/dps role crap needs to die. Being pigeon-holed isn't fun. That's what makes me excited about PG so far, and you can cooperate well and devise your own roles and strategies without being pigeon-holed from the get-go.
    The beauty of the classless setup in P:G is I can build for support in a dungeon group and use any setup I want to solo, so nobody is actually "pigeon-holed" per se

There's danger in building a game with no need for support classes, though... That's what leads to parties of only max DPS builds and anybody that built anything else was just wasting their time

Additionally, for choices to matter they need to have consequence, so if I choose to focus my build on dealing damage, I should be weakened in other aspects like durability, self-healing and CC, and P:G accomplishes that by limiting the amount of skills we can use at any given time, locking skill bonuses into gear based treasure effects, and grouping mobs together so that pulls are more than DPS alone can handle

Roles are what bring us cooperation and strategy... I really don't see where that exists in "Everybody run in and AoE everything down"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leodane View Post
    I actually kinda like having clearly defined roles. Grouping in GW2 wasn't all that fun for this reason - it was just a race to pile on as much damage as possible. Having played a variety of MMOs over the last 20 years, I have enjoyed the ones where I had a defined role in the group more.
    Although I'm sure most people will disagree with me, I actually saw the *need* for clearly defined roles as a good thing. In EQ, putting together a team took a bit of effort, but I thought it was part of the fun. Sometimes you weren't able to get the right types of classes, especially if restricting to only guild members, but then *meh* you went and did something else. And that is less likely to happen in PG anyway, since each character could have several possible builds.

Oh, and no to PvP.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balance in PvE cannot exist separately from the 'E': Content. The content changes a group's need for any particular ability. If a type of damage or special ability is negated by the content, that damage or special ability doesn't 'exist' for that part of the content, and changes the balance.

Roles also are... Not required. If an encounter can be done with 5 defense, 5 healing, 5 attack - and one root, one mez, and one stun: Does it matter how those abilities are spread across the group? No. Each character could provide part of what's required. And in fact, usually the attack is a combination of all the characters.

...Although it matters how much control the group has over the opposing damage. Damage can be mitigated in many ways; it's just been 'simpler' to have one character mitigate the damage and control where it goes with 'armor' and 'taunt'. But it could be like many GW or FF battles where the mitigation is based upon dancing your character out of the way. Or spreading it across the team. Or using interrupts. Or using special armor or buffs across the team.

In PvP, tho, the 'content' is 'other players'. Which is a fluctuating pool, it's both more easy to develop - since the players do a good deal of the work - and more difficult - because as players come in and out of the pool, has balance been maintained? It's a nasty economics question, actually. If Greenberg is in the pool, does that mean deer are overpowered, or is Greenberg just really good at what he does? If he leaves, does that mean deer are now underpowered? If deer are overrepresented, then more players will invest in a strategy to beat deer, but players who lose to deer will complain that deer are overpowered - but they might just be overrepresented! That a class is under represented doesn't exactly mean it's not as powerful, but it does make balance look bad.

Quite a different question, indeed.

But balance is still needed, either way, lest players who choose - and let's face it, they chose this hours, days, months before they knew what it would be like - classes and skills which aren't 'balanced' and get discouraged.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an interesting point of view. You explained it rather well!
    Thanks!

It's a difficult subject to talk about because people have serious 'feels' about it. And that's good! But the language just... Isn't here yet. While MMOs are relatively young, we have to remember the multi-player games and join-in mechanics have a long history. We can learn from the experience of the first MUDs and chess ladders and even beach volley ball!

I was a analyst for MMOGchart about a decade ago, and I've played on some of the oldest MUDs and MMOs. I hate to toot my horn, since I can write very opaquely and rarely publish, but I have been writing about this subject for two decades. It'd be great if we were able to build a language like film and games in general have developed. We have to remember that just because something hasn't been done yet in MMOs doesn't mean it can't be. Just that it hasn't been figured out quite how and with what audience yet!

And that experimentation is why I like PG.

Something I do like about PG: You can kinda watch PvP. If there's ever more PvP, I'd love for there to be intentionally built a spectator ability. So we can see what's going on in the nitty gritty, even if it's behind what the players are seeing.

Thread Footer