Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coran View Post
    I appreciate this, but I think you missed the point of my post. Starting off with some inventory space and earning more as you adventure is starting at 0 and going to 5. Having some bank space and earning more is starting at 0 and going to 5. NPC money, relationships, vendor price increase, all those are 0 going to 5. I *WANT* the NPC to like me more so that they give me better prices on items. Having special Recipes and Skills that fell off a mob feel special. The lack of them isn't hampering, but the benefit of having them is special.

The lack of being able to make notes *IS* hampering. More so, it doesn't feel special in the slightest to "unlock" them. As above, it just makes me ask "Okay, what else are you hiding from me?" And not in the fun, exploratory way the game generally has.

Unlocking the ability to better organize your inventory is a character starting at -5 and working his or her way back to 0. It's just not fun or productive.
    I didn't miss your point, I ignored it as I don't think it is true. The whole -5 working to 0 is just in your head. You're welcome to your opinion, but I don't see the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhaila View Post
    I didn't miss your point, I ignored it as I don't think it is true. The whole -5 working to 0 is just in your head. You're welcome to your opinion, but I don't see the issue.
    . . . that was a pretty unproductive and undeserved comment. :\

This is still early in the game -- This is the exact time to talk about these things. I'm not okay with having to unlock UI elements in a game. So let's keep it to that topic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coran View Post
    . . . that was a pretty unproductive and undeserved comment. :\

This is still early in the game -- This is the exact time to talk about these things. I'm not okay with having to unlock UI elements in a game. So let's keep it to that topic.
    So was your comment that I missed your point. There is this habit that when someone disagrees with a post, the reply is "you missed my point" or "you didn't read everything I said". Somehow implying that it's the other guys fault for not agreeing with you.

It's fine to talk about things, and it's ok to disagree. But give the other guy some credit. He may have read your post, may see the point you are trying to make, but doesn't agree with your conclusions.

On your original topic: It's perfectly fine to have to unlock more map markers with advancement in skills. You said you like to RP. What could be better than doing surveying? It fits perfectly. I gave you a ton of examples of how the game puts a lot of advantages behind skills and exploration. This is part of the game.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhaila View Post
    It's perfectly fine to have to unlock more map markers with advancement in skills.
    What does that accomplish though? If I'm a new player exploring a brand-new map, I want to put down lots of markers and notes. If I'm an experienced player running through the same zone for the 5000th time, I don't need map markers. So, there is actually very little power gain associated with earning more markers because by the time I get them, I mostly don't care about them anymore.

My map marking efforts in PG fall pretty solidly into two categories: Either I have way more pins than I need for a map and I don't care how many pins I have, or I need way more pins for a map than I have and I don't have a way of getting all the pins I want, so I use the Wiki map instead. Neither strikes me as ideal.

Surveying pins add a bit of a unique category since they are temporary map markers, so for people that use them, getting more pins is an actual power gain. I wish there was a way to disentangle the actual crafting gains from the navigation help. In my opinion, I should be able to write as much as I like on my very own map - there shouldn't be something that arbitrarily restricts me from making as many navigation help notes as I feel I need.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    What does that accomplish though? If I'm a new player exploring a brand-new map, I want to put down lots of markers and notes. If I'm an experienced player running through the same zone for the 5000th time, I don't need map markers.
    I wish there was a way to disentangle the actual crafting gains from the navigation help.
    This is what I've said about markers a few times now.

If it were markers among all my maps, the global limitation would make sense. But it's per map. There's only one thing on the Serbule map I want to mark. As I level, I get more things I want to mark permanently. I suppose at end-game there's fewer, but...

...The marks per map is highest needed when you're a newb and don't know where squat is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does that accomplish though? If I'm a new player exploring a brand-new map, I want to put down lots of markers and notes. If I'm an experienced player running through the same zone for the 5000th time, I don't need map markers. So, there is actually very little power gain associated with earning more markers because by the time I get them, I mostly don't care about them anymore.
    This. This is also a really good way of looking at the flaw in the design of map markers.

If the developers would like us to unlock map things, my original post suggested colors. This way I can still use all the map markers I want, but as I level and improve the character I can unlock different colors and choose myself to either upgrade map markers with color themes or just let them be and have the note being enough. That's going from 0 (I have map markers, but they aren't anything more than generic map markers) to 5 (I have multi-colored map markers to mark off red as rare spawns, blue as points of interest, etc.).

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    This is what I've said about markers a few times now.
    I know. I do like the suggestions you've made before about temporary markers and possibly map layers. ( I think the layers was you, too.) What I really want is unlimited navigation map pins that can be placed in any location, and then anything else like colors and layers and special surveying tricks can be optionally acquired.

( I'm not sure if the map pin colors are necessarily a good incentive for leveling other skills. I miss having different pin colors on my alts but definitely not so much I feel the slightest bit inclined to level treasure cartography on them. Plus I'm still sulking because the pin colors and shapes keep changing on me. )

Thread Footer