Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    It takes alot of people to have someone available at all times. It's expensive, it's considered real work, and the developers could get in trouble if they created a system they got value out of without paying the moderators actual wages.
    In my experience doing moderating work elsewhere, I could hardly consider it real work. There is a lot of downtime, it's definitely not something every game can afford to pay for, and there's usually always volunteers handy. The trouble with just handing it out to said volunteers, though, is that it can cause further problems if they're not moderating appropriately.

I've had tickets active in WoW for weeks at a time in the past, if anything, I'd wager Project Gorgon has a faster response time than most MMOs - so it's not something I'd think would need immediate attention.

I've only vaguely been aware of the incident recently, but realistically it's one of those things that should just be ignored. Most games will have a rule against discussing the actions of staff for good reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure why this keeps coming up everywhere but just to say firmly from my experience in a month or so playing PG......and I am talking about submitting a bug report that my trade window is not working right.........

I got an almost shockingly fast response in a fun, friendly response of letting them know if that does not work (what I was told to try) It was actually like my old MUD where the Gm's were all volunteer and always instant and fun about it , sometimes even roleplay etc. This is what my response to a very minor issue was, I am really sure if I submitted a respectful report I might get as well in other areas of the game.

The one thing you can't say is they don't respond to tickets promptly as they actually do.......not even sure how it has come up that they don't when its so fast!

Just had to say as its like that thread won't die (about whatever went on) I am a fangirl yup.
    ~~Sparkle~~

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxlazr View Post
    In my experience doing moderating work elsewhere, I could hardly consider it real work. There is...
    Guards have 99% downtime, and it's a real job. Courts have ruled again and again that structures that companies operate and get benefit from are jobs, no matter how much 'work' is involved. So moderating is a real job.

If they're to have volunteer moderators, it has to be community administered, not by the devs. And that's tough to do. And is still labor-intensive. At least, people-intensive.

But yeah, I've had tickets literally months old get dealt with (Most recently one I reported elsewhere - last September? - a moderator got back to me this week that it'd been submitted as a bug.) so not getting a fast response is somewhat of an industry standard. They have to triage their limited time to all the reports they get.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxlazr View Post
    In my experience doing moderating work elsewhere, I could hardly consider it real work. There is a lot of downtime, it's definitely not something every game can afford to pay for, and there's usually always volunteers handy. The trouble with just handing it out to said volunteers, though, is that it can cause further problems if they're not moderating appropriately.
    Even if they are moderating appropriately, if they are part of the community (aka players) they will be accused of being biased/unfair/siding with their game friends/not doing their job etc.
    Although I personally had no problem with the mods we had, I refuse to believe that a mature playerbase (at least age wise mature) cannot police itself throughout alpha and beta.
    PS-not talking about any particular incident but in general I believe that using volunteers is a bad idea (unless it's someone who is not playing the game, brought from outside on a pro bono base)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only PG players, I as a player would trust, would be players that have been here a number of years. I get what @Silvonis said and I'm happy enough that the moderation is adequate. Any time I have submitted a bug, reported a player or had an issue I have either gotten a response or it has been dealt with.

I also agree with self-moderation, people are people and there will be clashes of personalities, that's just community on any level. Be it the local fishing villages or online gaming ones.

It would be nice if some of the players in game knew how to use their 'backspace' button instead of just mashing 'enter' like it was their birth rite but alas, that day has not yet come to fruition.
    - When you wanted a lot of Gene Wilder gifs, (Wonka.. obvs), but instead have to attend a funeral for the signature section. Rest in RIP, RIP in Piece o'ever-lasting cake. -

(Pssst . . . https://media.giphy.com/media/5ZYlp0bF7qMBa/giphy.gif . . . You're welcome . . .)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    [...] (unless it's someone who is not playing the game, brought from outside on a pro bono base)
    In my opinion, to do a good job at moderating in a game like P:G, you probably need to be an experienced player, at least if you want to cover all aspects of the game and not just chat.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    In my opinion, to do a good job at moderating in a game like P:G, you probably need to be an experienced player, at least if you want to cover all aspects of the game and not just chat.

I thought the OP meant moderator like in chat moderator (as opposed to game master who usually has way more tools at their disposal). I honestly wouldn't want a GM who is also a player, sooner or later that creates animosity and every time when they would make a tough decision it would get questioned. Players now don't normally challenge or question srand when she gags someone/namechanges but if it was a fellow player doing that...

About a moderator for chat being also a player ...I felt bad cause they got abused several times by players they muted (I'm sure you remember at least a few incidents).

Imo better let staff be staff and we try to act like normal people in the meantime so we won't need a mod till launch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    I thought the OP meant moderator like in chat moderator (as opposed to game master who usually has way more tools at their disposal). I honestly wouldn't want a GM who is also a player, sooner or later that creates animosity and every time when they would make a tough decision it would get questioned. Players now don't normally challenge or question srand when she gags someone/namechanges but if it was a fellow player doing that...

About a moderator for chat being also a player ...I felt bad cause they got abused several times by players they muted (I'm sure you remember at least a few incidents).

Imo better let staff be staff and we try to act like normal people in the meantime so we won't need a mod till launch.
    In my experience, any sort of moderation needs to be done anonymously. Also, if a mod isn't up for being abused or dealing with salty players in general, it's not something they should be doing. We're on the internet, after all.

Over the years I've played PG, I don't think there's been an instance where I've outright disagreed with any action taken by staff (that I know about) - but it does help to have clear-cut rules for players (I.e. you broke this rule, you're being banned for this long for this reason).

This plays into the whole "alpha", though. Game rules can be tweaked based on the actions of the players throughout the testing phase - I'd expect new rules to be added and changed as certain 'events' unfold throughout the alpha.

As for bias, the best way to eliminate that (i.e. people siding with friends) is to have several people collaborate on bigger issues and reach a decision as a group. Though, again, mods should be working exclusively with the rules that are set regardless of who's involved.

So far, I think moderation overall has been pretty damn fair, all things considered. I know a few players who were genuinely nice people who've been banned for perfectly legitimate reasons.

If players are moderating, though, it's usually better they keep that to themselves and play per usual on their normal account, and moderate anonymously on another account/alias, just to avoid unnecessary drama & to stop people constantly poking them to do stuff whenever they encounter the slightest problem.

But yeah, as you said, Khay, the current moderating has been perfectly fine in my opinion so I don't really see any need for immediate change.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's better for staff to be players than not at all. Of course, they probably shouldn't be playing with their moderator character or moderating with their playing character, but...

They should eat the dog food, so to speak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how games like Dragonrealms and Ponyisland do it then because their whole entire staff save a couple admin people are volunteer Not sure how that is done other than with Ponyisland they are run out of a different country. DR though is from Missouri....so has to abide by US labour laws.

not sure what they do but it most certainly works. DR is still here all these years later. (been there since something like 95 on AOL)
    ~~Sparkle~~

Thread Footer