Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarification request from Citan and Srand

I am asking for feedback and clarification from Citan and Srand regarding game policy and standards given some events that have occurred ingame recently.

Thursday night 3/28 and into Friday morning my time zone I was milking my cow, Edie, in serb, chatting in guild. I made cheese on the cow, gave milk to a guildee and a friend.

When it was time for bed, I cleaned up my ingame windows, milked myself one last time and logged for the night.

When I logged in on Friday I had a pop up window that stated: Mod Bot Warning, botting is not allowed etc.

I asked for an admin in game to explain what this meant. I received a tell from an admin and he gave me some info and said he would forward the info to you.

I sent an email to the support email and a ticket was created. To date I have received no response.

I later asked another known admin about the situation. I was informed that they were the admin who had performed the “bot check” and I had failed. Given I wasn’t botting and was at my computer while milking I asked what this “bot check” entailed. I was told that I failed a bot check because in a 62 sec timeframe I milked myself, didn’t respond to a tell and logged out of the game. This qualifies as a failed “bot check.”

As a long time player, who followed the old forums when Citan clearly stated his views on botting and made it clear he didn’t approve and designed the game in such a way as to discourage such actions, I am well aware of that. I reviewed the EULA for additional details on the subject.

I have been wrongly accused of botting but don’t know what happens if I continue to milk my cow and an admin decides that me milking my cow is me botting. The admin didn’t stand in front of me, try to get my attention by jumping around etc. I saw no tell.

Are admins allowed to close accounts because they “feel” you are botting without evidence?

Others ingame have mentioned being given warnings and bans. I have also been told that 1 hour buffs are being put on players that are afk. The buff makes it so that they can’t gain xp for an hour.

I’ve been playing for years, have a lot of time invested in the game and these actions seem contrary to the norm.

I am asking Citan and Srand to please inform the player base of policy changes so we know what is going on.

In my case a bot warning has been issued when I wasn’t botting and many ingame can verify it. If these accusations continue without proof what happens?
    Are the devs answering customer support email tickets or is that a function of the Admins ingame?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have mentioned, if other players are experiencing or seeing these things please chime in so that we know how widespread this is.

Thanks,
    z

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well, I was working on an email answer, but I guess I can just post that here. Please consider your email tickets closed.

--

You were flagged as possibly botting. This involves a lot of factors. (None of those factors involved other players.) You then failed a simple "bot check": you ignored private messages from the admins, and when a special popup box appeared on your screen, you logged out. This is behavior we see from common botting programs, so we did the most appropriate thing...

We reminded you that botting is not allowed.

We didn't punish you, because failing a bot test is not "proof" of botting. It's a heuristic, a test. If you fail a bot check, it could just be a random accident. So all we do is tell you not to bot. If you REPEATEDLY fail the bot check, though, we have to assume you're botting.

This isn't some crazy new idea we invented, either. Bot checks are the same for all MMOs. There's no 100% reliable way to detect all botting, so we use human beings to check up on people that seem suspicious.

I know that being forced to prove you exist (by answering an admin) can feel insulting. That's just the way it has to be though. You are obligated to answer an admin when they prompt you. You can't ignore them.

Since you aren't botting, then I'm sure this won't happen again, and there won't be any more problems. Case closed. Thanks.

• As to policy changes, there are none here.
    • Botting is not the same as AFK howling, or AFK anything else. Botting is using hardware (such as macro mice or keyboards) or software (such as overlays, macros apps, etc.) to automate any part of the game. You were accused of BOTTING, not of doing something while AFK.
    • Bot tests are run periodically every day all the time. They are absolutely NOT "admin abuse", that's proof of admins doing their jobs.
    • The "headache" debuff you apparently received comes from regular game content, such as when completing a hangout with Yetta, or sometimes when using words of power, drinking from a Cauldron, and more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response Citan. I did not receive the headache buff, this has been reported by other players.

I also didn't receive a popup window before logging out that night. It is customary for me to say good night to guildees before logging and would have seen a popup window.

I have no problem answering an admin. Given the way the chat windows are set up and the movement of chat, tells can be missed. I would've preferred a more obvious contact method.

As a prior admin who had to track botters. Our policy was to contact the person via tell. Then we made ourselves visually known. We also took screenshots and documented the players activity.

You have game/db records so it is easily verified.

Also an admin stating complain all you want it won't change, is not a very positive attitude from admins in this game. This is just my opinion but I do know that it is shared by other long time players ingame.
    Last edited by zthali; 03-04-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: clarity

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also of note, a 62 sec bot check?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay maybe this is a good time to post this... maybe its not. But I would like to bring up how a certain Admin thinks its funny to spawn snakes on me, I seriously asked him not to, I told the whole chat that day how terrified I was of them. I know … they are just pixels, well that does not help my fear of them.

This is your game and you can put snakes in it as you please, I just don't have to visit the area that has them in it. But when I am standing in Serb waiting for a druid event to kick off and a snake spawns on me, its just not right. Seriously most of you don't know I am disabled because of my back, Let me tell you the back spasms are very real and hurt like hell, and when I get surprised in game by a snake that puts me in a lot of pain. So instead of waiting for the druid event.. I just logged out.

I guess if you want me to log out that is a good way to do it. Some of the events I would like to have fun and join, but when this certain admin is on I either have to log out or stay clear away from where he is so that his showing off does not put me in pain.

I don't have to name a name because you are obviously the only admin that's been logging in lately, so I will ask you again, please don't spawn snakes on me, its not very funny when I have to log out and be in pain the rest of the night because of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this has come up in player discussions and you brought it up could we get some clarity?

I am not a puppy so it doesn't affect me.

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    • Botting is not the same as AFK howling, or AFK anything else.
    • The "headache" debuff you apparently received comes from regular game content, such as when completing a hangout with Yetta, or sometimes when using words of power, drinking from a Cauldron, and more.

What is AFK howling and are these buffs being applied for people doing this. Maybe these new puppies don't know they're not allowed to howl afk. And how does one howl afk?
    Last edited by zthali; 03-04-2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should clarity more, the people that have commented about receiving the headache weren't doing the Yetta quest or drinking from the cauldron. They will be posting regarding this situation shortly.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are certain things you can do while AFK. For example, playing an instrument. If you execute the ability, say, "harp 1", then not touch the keyboard again, your character will continuously play for like 15 minutes before it's automatically disconnected.

This is AKF playing, and the same probably goes for AFK howling if you run the howling ability (I'm not werewolf, not too sure about this).

On the other hand, if you plug a 3rd party program that will repeatedly hit the "harp 1" ability while you're sleeping, that's botting, and it's not allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey im newmoon in game and i regularly set my self to howl or play music at the serb well and go walk my dogs. the game will just boot me because i am afk for too long and thats fine. i do this to build up a music or howl buff witch can take awhile, and others can benefit from it as well but i randomly get a headache debuff when i wasnt on the yetta hangout or taking any of the drugs it only happens if i do this in serb witch is heavily populated. i guessed it was an admin debuff from afk building buffs so i stopped doing it in populated areas and i no longer get the debuff. i understand the Botting thing but it was anoying that it happened 3 times i understand if one was a yetta hangout i dont recall doing but im sure i did but i dont think she has 3.

Thread Footer