Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awol_lsd View Post
    all he had to do was fix the dmg's on the broken builds... and fix the mobs/spawn rates and groups.. which they STILL very much need to do. and common sense says needs to be done first before a blanket approach like this.... IF AFTER those changes are done and we see things still need changes then by all means start doing these blanket approaches and try things.. but you see time to kill is too high, you know there is a few builds that do 15k+ dmg... you don't say ok lets nerf everybody... then you just hurt the plethora of builds that was fine. instead you first fix the ones hitting them numbers adjust the mobs a bit and then collect data on TTK's and such
    Changes to Other Skills' Treasure Mods
    Note: in the newest developer blog, we discussed an upcoming adjustment to percentage-based-damage treasure mods. This change has NOT been made yet because it needs more internal testing; it will happen in a future update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awol_lsd View Post
    i didn't mean it 100% literal, sorry i assume most ppl know me so can understand what i mean since i've been around so long... that said i'm sure now that you know i didn't mean it literal you understand more. so i won't go into that any further. instead i'll ask you.

1st in your opinion should someone that fully geared 70/70 not be able to go level other skills with aoe grind, instead be forced to slow grind again and again? (if you think they should be forced to slow grind over and over again ignore the rest)
    2nd aside from the above did these AoE mechanics changes do anything good that a simple fix to the dmg outputs wouldn't had done as well?
    3rd does making broken builds not hit crazy numbers on 5+ mobs make much difference when they can still hit those numbers on 1-3 mobs?

i think people are miss understanding me, i am not wanting to keep broken builds in the slightest, i also don't mind the non-broken builds being nerfed some if Eric feels they need it. what i am apposed to here is this blanket mechanic change that seems to me to have 0 benefit over other changes other than an attempt to stop or slow capped players aoe grinding off skills.
    Your complaint is that Eric is expecting you to play the game the way he wants. That's what I'm getting out of you. The rest is meaningless babble, because that very statement is so incomprehensibly silly that it just negates anything else you might be trying to get across.

Drop that part of your line of thinking, start over, and I'll try discerning what you actually mean, as opposed to what you're saying. Because my mind reading skill is 50/100. I can totally discern what you're thinking when you're not saying what you mean, and your expectation of my doing so is 100% reasonable. </sarcasm>

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ortallus View Post
    Changes to Other Skills' Treasure Mods
    Note: in the newest developer blog, we discussed an upcoming adjustment to percentage-based-damage treasure mods. This change has NOT been made yet because it needs more internal testing; it will happen in a future update.
    once again, i am aware, but what did this mechanics change bring other than forcing players to repeatidly slow grind over and over again to level off skills? that the dps output changes wouldn't had brought without all the negative side effects

Quote Originally Posted by Ortallus View Post
    Your complaint is that Eric is expecting you to play the game the way he wants. That's what I'm getting out of you. The rest is meaningless babble, because that very statement is so incomprehensibly silly that it just negates anything else you might be trying to get across.

Drop that part of your line of thinking, start over, and I'll try discerning what you actually mean, as opposed to what you're saying. Because my mind reading skill is 50/100. I can totally discern what you're thinking when you're not saying what you mean, and your expectation of my doing so is 100% reasonable. </sarcasm>
    lol i had a long reply for this but i think i'm done... g'day to you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a spicy patch day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stikes View Post
    What a spicy patch day
    Despite common sense, people don't seem to understand that their builds are subject to change. My main build was heavily affected by this too, but I'm not taking a 'sky is falling' outlook. It's an opportunity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i haven't seen one person post objecting to change, complaining about their builds, or any of that..... many people have the common sense to call out that while change was needed this was a bad change and there was much better options.. i currently have 5 builds done or near done this only effected 2 of them.. and one of them certainly needs nerfed and i have reported/asked for such... blah nvm..

*smh* why do i bother...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stikes View Post
    What a spicy patch day
    Right? I just wanted to know everyone's first impressions on priest.
    Last edited by BabyBlue; 05-26-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the change is reasonable. Even at three mobs the AoE is doing more damage than the single-target skills are. It gives us a sweet-spot to aim at.

And as far as I can read, the split of damage is such that every additional mob means the AoE is doing more damage, it's not like it's being split proportionally. You still do better with more mobs - you're just less likely to blow them out of the water.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to see my pledge i game?
    Last edited by Karamasha; 05-26-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What up my glipglops!

I'm not sure where to even begin, but here goes.
    ------------

AE changes:

Firstly I want to point out that being condescending to other players about mechanics which you don't seem to even grasp or understand completely is not helpful. Nobody here wants easy mode. Most people that are being vocal about why this is a bad idea are doing so because they care about the game and want to see it succeed.

That being said, there are only 2 reasons why you would ever level and gear an AE build. The first reason is to make money, which is sort of needed because costs become extremely prohibitive later on in the game...especially when you are working on leveling your 15th skill to 70....so you do the work of leveling up an AE skill so that you can use it to speed up the grind of whatever new skill you want to level.( which is the 2nd reason to even level an AE build) and also pay for this new skillset. You might be asking yourself what's the rush? Welp after you play this for several thousand hours you might understand that a bit more, the slow way starts to lose it's charm. AE builds are utter crap in group content ( unless you severely outlevel the content in question)...because not only will you cause every mob being hit to rage on you at the same time ( thus killing you instantly) But you will also break all forms of crowd control your party is using to stay alive. It is important that you understand that AE builds only have those 2 uses, because without those, there is no reason to ever use one.

When people reach the apex of their chosen skills and have explored all current content, the only thing that keeps them logging on is that they can level and try a completely different skillset and playstyle, slowing down that process does more harm then good ( aka prohibitive costs and unreasonable timesinks). When the "pain in the ass" factor becomes greater then the "enjoyment for time spent" factor, people stop logging on.

Another important thing to consider is the change would be reasonable if he stopped throwing 10-15 mobs at us at once. Go and try to fight in goblin annexes or on rahu plateau to get a good idea of what I mean, there are a million other places but both of those are simple examples.....So I guess there is a 3rd use for AE builds, and that is because it is forced on you for certain content. That is not our faults, it is by design. Another example of this would be how respawns in dungeons currently work, as in....10-15 things suddenly appear on top of you and then proceed to rape you. This is the main reason btw why people are forced to focus on DPS builds and skillsets, because if you are too slow at killing you lose the game, the respawn will make sure of it.

For reference for the newer players, respawns didn't always work like this...they used to happen singly.

----------

Archery treasure effect changes:

Just why? I have not been using archery for a while now and that is because the inventory space lost is already not worth using it over another skill, combined with the horror of fletching and the fact that every attack effectively costs money to fire it just isn't worth using over another skillset. Adding to that the "utility" that archery used to have has been rendered largely useless. I mean the only utility it ever had was hookshot and snare arrow. Hookshot is not only useless but it can actually kill you when a party member uses it on a monster that disables in an area when they pull it on top of everyone else ( or any mob that does any sort of PBAE). Snare arrow is okay for solo play but goodluck with that in groups. I cannot understand why archery damage was reduced farther, especially when you consider that the effected skill was mostly "heavy shot" a 40 second cooldown that at BEST ( as in with any and all buffs you can use for it including calligraphy) it hits for 4300 damage, which is comparable to the druid skill cosmic strike off the top of my head, which has not been changed.

For the newer people: Hookshot ( and the spider equivalent ) used to be the only way to single pull reliably besides proximity aggro ( body-pulling). Archery was 100% worth it when that was still effective, especially considering it sped up single pulling to the point where you could beat the dps check for respawns.

-----------
    DoT effects:

DOT builds have a lot more issues then the damage from them being sub-par. The biggest of which is that at level 50+ stuff starts being resistant or even straight immune to the damage type you are using, since we only have 3 damage types to choose from atm ( fire / trauma / poison). Building a spec that relies on DOTS will always assure that you are useless later on when this becomes an issue, because no matter how good your DOT damage is at least 1/3 of it will be irrelevant. From a solo standpoint however, DOTS are and always have been viable regardless for a defense or crowd control focused build....Where you really start to see problems are in group play...in fact the whole game falls apart when group play is introduced.

----------
    Group play VS solo play:

I would go as far to say this game is pretty well balanced for solo play.

-Rage reduction is great for solo play.
    -Heals are well-balanced for solo play.
    -Crowd control is invaluable for solo play.
    -Incoming damage is manageable for solo play ( due to heals and rage reduction and crowd control actually working).
    -DOTs are great for solo play.
    -Pets are fine for solo play.
    -Being a defensive fighter is great for solo play.

In a group however, all of this goes to shit.

-There is no rage reduction skill in the game that can manage the rage from more then 1 player effectively, making it useless and a waste of mods to even try.
    -There are no heals in the game that can consistently keep up with the incoming damage your party starts to receive....yes some of them can keep you alive for one big pull, but since you are essentially forced to keep going without stopping even for a second or you will eat a "game over multi-mob-respawn" to which there is zero defense against or warning it is coming....yea, not great.
    -Most crowd control is equally screwed in group play, mezzing is a joke unless you are using it as the puller to separate mobs before they even get near you( unfortunately it is also unreliable weather it will successfully land on the mob or not). And mesmerizing a mob that is already in close proximity to your group is just laughable, if it stays mezzed for more then 2 seconds you better go buy a lottery ticket, because it is your lucky day.
    -Incoming damage starts to get utterly ludicrous , with 1k health and 900 armor I can survive maybe 6 hits in gazluk keep...thus you are forced into building for damage, aka kill them before they kill you.
    -DOTS are useless because nothing can be allowed to live for more then 5 seconds, aka one dot tick....or else you will die.( again because of the forced dps check respawn timer and the incoming damage).
    -PETS ....see DOTS explanation above, same issues, except you also have to deal with "assist mode" not working correctly and accidentally pulling 10 more monsters onto your group.
    -Defensive fighter ( aka tanking)...there is no skill in the game that has a short enough recast timer that you can use it to aggro more then one mob at a time ( for bosses or solo pulls tanking is great, but if all you do is solo pull you run the risk of the ever-popular multi-respawn-rapefest. And even if there WAS a good AE taunt, you could never survive it unless you use ONE specific skill to make yourself immune to incoming damage for 10 seconds, and when that fades( or is on cooldown) you die like anyone else.

My main problem I guess, is I play this game to be social and group up with friends and explore and conquer new stuff. And right now group play isn't fun at all besides the first time you explore a new area.....I realize it is super easy to complain about things then to come up with workable solutions, so that being said....

------------------
    Some suggestions to fix group play:

-Give all mesmerize type abilities an invulnerability window where mesmerize cannot be broken by anything for at least 5 seconds. Fix pets so they stop breaking them also.

-Make all taunt effects in the game a flat amount instead of being % based, 300 % of "no damage" because you didn't penetrate their armor is still no taunt ( this includes pet taunt effects) also raise the flat amounts to reasonable levels where they can actually take aggro off someone else hitting for 3k spike damage.

-For all elite ( group) mobs and bosses, reduce their outgoing damage by a large margin, at least 50%. Increase their health pool by an even larger margin, 500-1000%...basically slow this shit down and make it interesting instead of the spam strongest attacks fest it currently is. Group fights that last a maximum of 10 seconds because you have no choice, as in if they aren't dead by then...you will be, are not fun.

-Change the respawn mechanics for elite mobs to either respawn one at a time or in small groups...In fact It would be perfectly fine to link 3-4 mobs together, as in pulling one aggroes the other 3 every time, but they also respawn the same way, with that group counting as a single mob for that purpose....space them out a bit more so that this is possible. Basically make them harder more challenging fights, and allow us to see the respawns "catching up" behind us so we have a fighting chance.

***I cannot stress enough how badly the respawn system needs to change, it is 100% un-fun in it's current form....there is nothing fun about forced dps checks in every single fight, and even less fun in instantly wiping 2 hours deep in a dungeon because someone had to afk for 30 seconds and we didn't beat the timer for the respawns.***

Longer fights will have a few benefits. Tanking will be more important ( but still not required to the point where you have to have a tank). Dots and pets will have a chance to shine and do what they are supposed to ( but I would also suggest fixing pet assist mode and removing immunities to dot types). Also it will stop people from soloing elite content that you do not wish them to solo...because power will run out in longer fights. Lastly, changing fights and respawns in such a way will give us OPTIONS besides building for straight killing power....right now we don't have them , if we want to succeed it's damage or bust.

----------------

@ Citan I hope you realize that I am only taking the time to write this stuff out because as always, I want to see you succeed....you have done a lot of good, and I know it can feel like you are being attacked for what others perceive as being wrong..... But this is not my intent, my goal is to see a game that's fun to play and will have staying power. You have been moving farther and farther from the "fun" side of the pendulum to the "this is more trouble then it's worth" side. As a developer and not a player, there are some things that look good on paper or mechanically, but in actual practice aren't fun.

If you want a different sort of feedback then tell me what your vision is, and I can try to tailor feedback towards making that a reality....atm all I can do is 'guess" that having fun should be the top priority. Remember that I am the guy that leveled several skills that I had zero interest in just so I could try to give good feedback for them back in the early days.

@ Everyone else, if you read all this you have my thanks. If your opinion differs feel free to give your own viewpoints...just be respectful when you do so.

If you agree with anything I mentioned though ( or even disagree)....please do not remain silent about it. From the 30 or so people I have had lengthy conversations with about these issues ( either in-game or on skype or discord) Almost all agreed with every point I have made here. You are not doing the game any favors by just reading it, saying "yep" to yourself, and moving on....they need to know that these are actual issues and not just "ErDrick issues".

Thanks for reading the wall of text...sorry about that but I feel like all of this is important or I wouldn't have bothered.
    Last edited by ErDrick; 05-26-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Thread Footer