Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #51
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rather than starting a new discussion thread for today's bug-fixing hotfix, we're just going to add to this ongoing discussion thread. The hotfix notes are here: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/show...es-May-27-2018

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a glaring issue that is very abusable, as I have been demonstrating for a few days now. When in Gazluk Keep I can body-pull mobs and before they close the distance to engage me, I run into another room that has a wall nook with a thin section of wall. While the mob/mobs are still on the other side of the wall, they will think that they can attack me because the thin section of the wall puts us close enough. What this does is allows me to hold the mob in place while the script tries to melee attack me, but is interrupted by the wall being there. I can hold multiple mobs this way and while in a doorway scenario the abuse gets worse, as the AI can't go through the doorway more than 2 at a time.

Currently In a nearly fully augmented all yellow gk suit I can solo two mobs at a time. I mez one with "tell me about your mother". Then kill the other before the mez is up. If I do it all properly I can break the mez on the first one with my stun mod from tell me I love you.

If you play BennyHill music and I can eat great bacon while running around crazy I can sometimes take 3 elite gk mobs. IF I do everything right. This includes circling, charging and backing off at the right times.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Yaffy You taking the time to reply with that wall of text is appreciated and your points are valid. You are probably the strongest tank I have seen in a long time so your tanking insight is especially helpful.

Few things I would like to add:

Mesmerizes wouldn't be a 5 second stun because mobs would be immune to damage for those 5 seconds ( I should have been more clear in my wording there).

As for tanking / damage / clear speed...well that's all subjective, if I roll in there with a full group of people that already have level 70 legendary /optimized/ augmented gears and know wtf they are doing ...yea beating repops is a lot easier. The problem is that excludes anyone that doesn't meet those criteria if you want to have fun and not suddenly die over and over to repops. I mean I have been in groups where we absolutely destroy the whole place, but I also have been in there many times with people that just got to 70 and are wearing 50-60 gear...and it can be hell. The content isn't supposed to be intended for people that are effectively lvl 90 due to optimal gear, it is for 65-70ish people. Also you have to build extremely focused and with specific items and modifiers for specific skills to achieve those results, you are essentially "maxed out" ( or close to it) as a tank...Not just as a tank but as the uberest skill combo you can possibly be for it. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's fun to put that much effort into something then see it work...it just isn't a good example from a balancing perspective. I'm having flashbacks of Citan telling me this exact same thing years ago when I was suggesting some balance changes, and he was right.

What you said about taunt modifiers and how they stack...that's also a good point, I cant think of another skill that can achieve those results though, only shield. Having only one skill be effective at a specific role is still a problem. A generic sidebar skill with a percent based taunt modifier might solve that for other skillsets though...something like a defensive/aggro stance ability.

Another thing to note is that if you are clearing to beakhorse before the first wave of repops your group is 100% 2 shotting the mobs to do it. And part of the reason for your extreme survivability and the reason heals seem effective, is because the mobs are dying before they can really put a dent in you, remember that the damage you take gets higher and higher once your armor depletes under normal circumstances.

I just find the current system boring. I have also noticed some threads where people complain that GK is a loot pinata, and that is absolutely true as long as you can 2shot mobs...it would be less true if fights were longer and harder.

You mention that lowering damage would make you invulnerable with the right kinds of mitigation, this is a good point that I hadn't considered, although I'm sure I would have if that change actually happened. You also have the best self-mitigation set up that I am aware of ( unarmed). I know when I put thick skin on you on top of that you are godlike.

It's still pretty boring to have to 2-shot every mob you come across, so that still needs to happen in some form, just with better numbers ( at least that's my opinion).

You have some great insights that are definitely food for thought. And I am glad you contributed, I can't think of every unforseen consequence by myself, this is exactly the kind of dialogue that is needed.

@ArkadyRandom What you mention about dps holding themselves in check is something I am very aware of, I played everquest for about 9 years. The problem here is holding yourself in check will still lead to a wipe when respawns happen. If combat were made slower and repops were singly ( like they were in everquest, and used to be here) you could accurately gauge how far ahead of the wave you were and use skills accordingly. Right now that's not really an option.

@srand from the patch notes you said "Previously, pets could attack monsters that were 'mezzed' if at least half the mezz duration had elapsed (the same time in which players can break the mezz). Now pets never directly attack mezzed or feared targets. Note that as a side effect, this means you cannot order your pet to attack a mezzed or feared enemy; pets now consider them "invalid targets"."

Currently you can break a mesmerize instantly, a 20 second duration mez does not have a 10 second window where it is unbreakable. And a pet would charge forward when you cast mesmerize and instantly break it, because it considers mesmerize an attack ( which it is, they do damage for some reason) and break it immediately. This obviously might work differently now ( for pets) but I'm not sure what you mean by the part about if half duration has elapsed ( in regards to players breaking them), because that isn't a thing.
    Last edited by ErDrick; 05-27-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The mezz change for pets seems to be working. This is a very nice fix.

The fact that we must learn low level recipes first is understandable. However, some of them are just too hard to get. For example, I've yet to meet anyone having found Flamestrike 1 or 2. As far as I can tell, they don't drop. They probably do of course, and eventually we will know what from, but invading low level dungeons where we high level players don't belong isn't very fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aionlasting View Post
    Perhaps there should be a threat meter for dps to keep an eye on to know when they are pulling too close to the tanks current threat. Perhaps the party interface should also have a way to set a player as a tank so everyone else can know who the tank is and follow behind, and also track on the threat meter where the tanks current threat is and play accordingly..... there are many improvements both in gameplay, mechanics, and user interface that could go a long way into making group content much more enjoyable.
    All the yes. FFXIV has threat meters listed under each player's name when in a group and it's a godsend not only for tanking, but for playing DPS too. In that game at least, it can be worth it to back off of an enemy if you're pulling aggro from the tank. Granted, PG needs more work on team roles all around.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #56
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As a general reminder, please report bugs, exploits, etc., using the in-game reporting tool. Additionally, if you find an issue and continue to exploit it - your account is subject to being banned. Please report players who are taking part in such activities. It is a Terms of Service violation to take advantage of unintended game functions. If you're unsure, please send in a detailed report regardless. As a general rule, if it seems 'too good to be true' then it probably is.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have tamed a Fire Rat, and as far as I can tell it's fighting as expected. It is way too early to compare it to other pets, not until I level it to 70.

However, I will probably not use it because of the "on fire" animation. It is something I dislike very much, to the point that when I fight at the entrance of Lab I just look down at the floor, shoot at random and just watch my health bar.

Since the rat is small, is there any chance you can also downsize the animation by a factor of, say, 10?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a new player coming in from the Steam EA release, I can't offer any feedback on the changes as I'm just not at a high enough level in the game to see them. I do find the conversation in this thread fascinating though and I wish there was more of this kind of discussion on the forums not revolving around patches.

In this corner, wearing the blue trunks, is the group of players that thinking about group dynamics and that are advocating the kind of game I signed up to play, and in the other corner, wearing the gold trunks, are those that seem more interested in solo play centered on farming and grinding. Thankfully, the PvP crowd is relegated to the audience, but there still is some talk of balancing between "classes" common in games that try to cater to those that think that's fun.

From watching the veterans discuss this, I get the impression that the evil overlords are building a game where tanking, healing, crowd-control and careful dps is important. If its not, I wish that were clearly stated now because I've no interest in investing time in another MMO where 2-3 massively over-powered damage dealers can speed clear all the end-game dungeon content and the quality of a build is based only in how much dps it can do. I can only hope that while many new players may be coming into Project:Gorgon with that style of gameplay being their only experience that they will be shown the older way of designing dungeons is WAY better, even if you are required to think and plan to succeed.

If a player can single-handedly kill everything in a dungeon, either they are in the wrong dungeon or their build needs some serious attention. If AoE was truly that powerful, kudos on ripping off the band-aid and good luck on the fine-tuning.

Personally, I really dig the low-tech UI and feature set. I like the idea of feeling a part of the game world, so I will generally not ask for more bells and whistles, like player stall search functions, teleport anywhere or aggro meters on mobs or players. I think there's a lot of fun to be had without having a heads up display on everything like this was some sort of sci-fi game. Thinking, observing and communicating with your team may seem off-putting to younger players, but I like games that encourage it. All those "quality of life" features are abundant in tons of other games and I feel like they have more negative than positive long-term effects when implemented.

There was also talk about lessening or removing reward from "farming" low-level content, and some worry that might stratify the game... I think all materials needed in the game should be available in all areas and players should "farm" in level appropriate areas. Some stratification is a good thing if it means leveling players can have mobs to kill and resources to scavenge. Sure, it may cost a ton of money and time to level up every single skill in the game, but that's only a relevant argument in alpha/beta stages when you are doing that to test everything. Once the game gets launched, that should be REALLY long-term goal and a rare accomplishment.

Using one maxed-out skill to level up another skill quickly is not a thing in real life, so being a really good wizard shouldn't matter at all when trying to learn how to use a sword... and that's a general rule of thumb for me: everything in the game should belong and be explainable within the game's world. It's all fine and good to want something like a searchable market or graphs on mobs, but (in my opinion) those things don't make sense contextually.

I may be just a P:G noob, but I hope these comments can be helpful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spider91301 View Post
    Yeah Im about to hog all the nooby areas as well If my growth is going to be stunted cuz of this half assed blanket fix then Im going to
    dont get me wrong Im not doing this out of spite to get back at the admins or players but if its the only way to progress and for me to keep interest in the game then goddammit I will do it legit screw everyone else I want to have fun to
    This is ridiculous, let me start by saying I've seen you do many nice things to help guildies, now this is where the praise stops. This statement is disgusting, you plan on griefing up and coming players because you are upset about a nerf you fail to fully comprehend? Lets review some of your statements both ingame, and discord, and here...

"BC is just a movement skill now".

This could not be further from the truth, in fact Ive shown you the power of BC as a support with priest. Despite having to carry you (which i will get to in a second) through GK, we had no problem clearing any of the content we wanted in there, and ended the run with full bags and a dead slime... As a DPS skill its still very viable, I used it to power level my priest just fine to 70, and yes taking on 8 wolfs in the wolf cave in Gaz has gotten a little rougher, but it's still doable no problem since we have CC that outlasts our cooldown on our damage bombs.

"GK is impossible, we wiped in the slime room."
    Quote Originally Posted by spider91301 View Post
    Whatever intill they increase the level cap i might as well hunt lower stuff for cash inless i have a badass group literly today just 10 minutes ago went into the slime room in gazkeep with my group and got ganked ra*** we all died only 2 lived also the power regen seems slower
    Above as I mentioned GK is not impossible, but when you go in with 4 guys in offspecs, and Veal as a single target tank, and a complete liability like yourself things are going to be hard. In fact what I've noticed is that that room used to have 6? slimes and now only has 4... and I've never so much as seen someone drop below 90% in that room in any GK ive been on since the patch.

"I cannot progress in GK any more, so i'm going to sit in serb and whine for 2 days straight, and threaten to grief n00bs"

Ok, so this one is a bit of paraphrasing, but is in fact what you have said/done. This makes me embarrassed to share a guild tag with you. You without even fully testing, or looking into the patch based on a single bad group experience have written off the game, and decided you will do what you can to ruin other people's experience?

I think you need to take a break from the game, step away and put things in priority, and maybe do some inward reflection. You are generally a liability in dungeons because you don't listen, you think you know better and you do things that cannot be rationalized by any intelligent life form. I wish there was a montage of all the times out puller (awol, saint, veal if he had a mic) has said "Death where are you going?" because you insist on running ahead of the puller, or the times when people have asked why you where taunting, when you shouldn't be...

Full Derp

In fact on the run where we killed slime, we where having a good time fighting a ton of mobs, and you decided to pull aggro on several then run half way down a hallway outside the room, risking pulling more aggro. Putting the party at risk, and forcing your healers to try and locate you in a different room way away from your party.

Sometimes the issues are not with the game, but with the player sir.
    Last edited by Mesk; 05-29-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @preechr I can understand your concerns, so I can try to answer some of your questions/comments about end game.

A very big thing about end game in Project Gorgon is that it's not actually that hard to clear! Personally I find it a bit too easy, but this is due to a lot of factors and it has some benefits as well.

First off, the end game currently is not meant to be the end game in the future, as new content is planned to be updated, therefore it should be a bit easier because when there's higher level content, you won't be building a full set of gear just for level 70 content and many people going through the dungeon will have scrapped together sets. Secondly, many players have had a lot of time to build their sets for this level of content, so many players are essentially over geared and have access to a lot of bonuses from grinding other things (Like the best food in the game currently, the best consumables, etc).

Because the end game content is "easy", it means that you don't need a meta game party/build to go through it. It's not like other games where if you don't have specific classes/party composition you're going to wipe, in fact it's easy enough that you can use a full DPS party, which commonly happens because the majority of players are DPS, and still beat all the bosses.

However, the thing is that because the dungeon is "Easy", this means that the real challenge isn't beating the dungeon, it's clearing it quickly and efficiently (And with as few accidents as possible). Yes you can beat it with 6 DPS, but it will actually be a pretty slow endeavor, as you have to be careful not to pull too many enemies, deaths are common, and wiping can happen at the drop of a hat. This is typically where you'll have issues with respawns as full DPS parties can be pretty slow, and to a DPS player the best way to go faster in this situation is to just get more DPS. This is why a lot of people keep talking about how you need super high DPS in order to avoid respawns happening on top of you.

This is where healers/tanks/support/etc come in. None of these archetypes are required to beat the dungeon, but you can make it way faster/easier/safer/consistent. Even if adding these people lowers your damage output, your progress through the dungeon is going to be way faster because you don't have to play as safe. Tanks can pull bigger groups so AoEs can be used and don't need to be as careful, healers and support mean you don't have to sit around waiting for your health/power to regen and good mob control makes killing things easier and safer.

This is why I have disagreements with ErDrick over the value of tanking/healing because they clearly improve runs, even if they aren't strictly required. He stated that for my best runs I must have had some good damage dealers (Which is totally true) but the thing is that those best runs weren't about stacking as much damage as possible on each character, but that each person has their own way to contribute and that only 3 or 4 players really focused on damage. Our potential damage output would be lower than a full DPS group (In fact my tank build basically does complete garbage for damage so my damage might as well not exist) but our clear speed is higher, which is what really matters. The fact that many people are starting to talk about the strength of unarmed tanking, even though it has double digit DPS even at end game is proof that there's more things than just DPS that matter! I do wish that other "Tank skills" got some better mitigation options though.

As for soloing dungeons, usually when that gets mentioned it's from some really high level person going through much lower level content. But there aren't any builds that can solo the end game Gazluk dungeon or anything. They might be able to solo an elite mob or maybe even solo a specific boss or two (Probably with some form of extreme cheesing), but the whole dungeon? There's nothing like that yet at least.

I hope this answers some of your questions about end game (Or at least how I feel about it). I hope you enjoy your time spent in Gorgon!
    Last edited by Yaffy; 05-29-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Thread Footer