Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thread: Gorgon Explorer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritfingers View Post
    Even with the business that I run, I've noticed that a lot of websites aren't compatible with IE. Is that ever going to change? Was it an easy fix for you to get IE users to see Gorgon Explorer?
    The thing about websites is that while they are mostly all written using JavaScript, CSS, and HTML, each browser has its own implementation of those things. Each browser implementation of a particular feature differs not only from other browsers (e.g. Chrome is different from Internet Explorer) but also differ within different versions of themselves (e.g. the build planner does not show up correctly on IE10 but does show up correctly on IE11)

As an example, the css for the gradient background Gorgon Explorer uses actually contains 3 separate properties:

background: -webkit-radial-gradient(#4f4f4f, #1c1c1c ); <- for webkit browsers such as Safari and Opera, and previously Chrome which now uses its own variation
    background: radial-gradient(#4f4f4f, #1c1c1c ); <- for non-webkit browsers that support gradients such as Firefox
    background: #2a2a2a ; <- a fallback to a solid color just in case someone is using a weird browser that does not support gradients at all

In the case of CSS, things will just look weird. The bug Julcat was experiencing was Javascript related, and an oversight on my part - I was using Object.values(), a function which converts a Javascript object containing a bunch of other Javascript objects (the format that Project Gorgon's data is in) to an array of objects instead, which is the format it needs to be in in order to display it in the table. When I realized that the built-in Object.values function was not supported by IE11, I just wrote one myself (it's not all that hard to iterate over an object and add all the objects within to an array then return that array)

So the short answer, as with anything is: yes, it was easy, but only because it's a problem I've tackled before and could easily track down the solution to. A bug caused by lack of browser support can ultimately range in difficulty from "easy" to "impossible" depending on what exactly the cause is, and how much time one is willing to spend filling in those gaps.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    The thing about websites is that while they are mostly all written using JavaScript, CSS, and HTML, each browser has its own implementation of those things. Each browser implementation of a particular feature differs not only from other browsers (e.g. Chrome is different from Internet Explorer) but also differ within different versions of themselves (e.g. the build planner does not show up correctly on IE10 but does show up correctly on IE11)

As an example, the css for the gradient background Gorgon Explorer uses actually contains 3 separate properties:

background: -webkit-radial-gradient(#4f4f4f, #1c1c1c ); <- for webkit browsers such as Safari and Opera, and previously Chrome which now uses its own variation
    background: radial-gradient(#4f4f4f, #1c1c1c ); <- for non-webkit browsers that support gradients such as Firefox
    background: #2a2a2a ; <- a fallback to a solid color just in case someone is using a weird browser that does not support gradients at all

In the case of CSS, things will just look weird. The bug Julcat was experiencing was Javascript related, and an oversight on my part - I was using Object.values(), a function which converts a Javascript object containing a bunch of other Javascript objects (the format that Project Gorgon's data is in) to an array of objects instead, which is the format it needs to be in in order to display it in the table. When I realized that the built-in Object.values function was not supported by IE11, I just wrote one myself (it's not all that hard to iterate over an object and add all the objects within to an array then return that array)

So the short answer, as with anything is: yes, it was easy, but only because it's a problem I've tackled before and could easily track down the solution to. A bug caused by lack of browser support can ultimately range in difficulty from "easy" to "impossible" depending on what exactly the cause is, and how much time one is willing to spend filling in those gaps.
    Thank you for this. This helps me in my own business. Though I have no working knowledge of how to code anything, I can get why the company we use to run my database hasn't found a solution for IE compatibility with my website. It is probably something that isn't worth the effort or something that is impossible to fix. Most people typically have a secondary web browser besides IE anyways..so it's almost moot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem! The previous version of Gorgon Explorer actually didn't guarantee support for Internet Explorer at all, because the previous version of the framework was simply too unpredictable to guarantee that it would work. I know several users did manage to use the old version of the website on IE, but that was more luck and good fortune than effort on my part The new version of the framework is much better about filling in the gaps where IE lacks, so I am more able to fill in whatever other gaps remain myself - but switching to the new framework required a rewrite of almost all the code, which simply won't do for a large-scale project in most cases. As of 2017, less than 10% (and by many accounts, less than 5%!) of users use IE, so in many cases even if a fix is possible it is not considered worthwhile to implement because the market share is so small.

Anyway, I apologize for my long-windedness and if I got too technical, I can ramble all day about this stuff if somebody doesn't stop me. I hope I haven't put anyone to sleep.

@alleryn (and anyone else who's missing sorting) -
    Sorting is now available again for recipes. If you're missing it on the mods table as well let me know, I'll put it back there too. I'll get those tooltips with the items put back as well, but not sure how long that one will take.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @alleryn (and anyone else who's missing sorting) -
    Sorting is now available again for recipes. If you're missing it on the mods table as well let me know, I'll put it back there too. I'll get those tooltips with the items put back as well, but not sure how long that one will take.
    Thank you so much!

P.S. Personally, i wouldn't use sorting on the mods table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritfingers View Post
    a lot of websites aren't compatible with IE. Is that ever going to change?
    It should.

Main problem is there are so many versions of IE. MS, unlike others, kept loooong support for older Windows. And because some people are still using WinXP (IE8 at best) or Windows 7 (IE9-11) their IE is sort off incompatible with the world of FF/Chrome/Safari where you always have latest version and you don't even think about it (and thanks to mobile devices and google web apps there are major changes there in last 5 years).

MS is trying to change that and going the Google/Apples way with Win10. In W10 you have up-to-date Edge, just like others have (neither you, neither your customers. should care about version anymore), and it is very compatible with webkit (Safari, Chrome).

So now we just need to wait like 7 years or so until MS support for W7 ends (I mean, Android 2.3 is just 5 years old and the only answer you get from not working apps is "get better system"; IE11 is 3 years old and people are still using that - if you are lucky and you have "modern" customers, not some guy with "cool" WXP with 8 years old browser)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recipe tooltips are back and the game data has been updated to reflect the patch that just came out.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Recipe tooltips are back and the game data has been updated to reflect the patch that just came out.
    Yesss! Tannin you're amazing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

It's come to my attention that Amazon's cloud storage service (S3) has gone down. This has impacted several websites and as Gorgon Explorer relies on S3 it happens to be one of them. While I am aware of the problem, unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it. Hopefully Amazon gets this resolved quickly. Sorry for the inconvenience!

EDIT: Everything is working again
    Last edited by Tannin; 02-28-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving this thread to apologize for Gorgon Explorer going down, I've been busy with school and stuff lately. Working on a fix now

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Transmutation is really sucky without it ^-^

Thread Footer