Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #11
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelawrat View Post
    I posted because I was worried that I might damage this comp if I continued to play, pushing the system this way.
    Theoretically it should be fine. Practically speaking, though, many laptop designs can overheat because they're not ventilated well enough for the GPU to run at max power for prolonged lengths of time. It really depends on the quality of the laptop build, but my generic suggestions here are:

- Figure out where the ventilation is on your laptop and make sure that it's not covered. (For some of our test laptops, that's easy because the vent is always exposed. For others, they need to be propped up on something because the vents are on the bottom.)
    - If your laptop becomes physically too hot to touch, you're definitely in danger of damaging the laptop. (Not to mention your lap!)

Oh, and to clarify, running at 100% memory usage is nothing to worry about. The thing that's a little scary is if the CPU column on the Task Manager is permanently running at 100% -- that's when things can get overheated.

That & also I wondered, was really curious about, how it was that I can play at 1:0 on the island, in all of the environments, without any problems. Play there isn't affected by number of mobs, players, actual time of day. It's just beautiful.
    That's a complicated question to answer, but the short version is: Serbule is huge. It's surprisingly huge, actually -- 36 newbie islands could fit into the same landmass that Serbule uses. And it's more graphically complex: it has fancier sky and terrain systems, and more points of interest (such as buildings, giant hands, weird statuary, etc.).

Right now, because the area isn't very optimized, your computer needs to render a lot more of Serbule than is actually visible on your screen. But even when we finish optimizing it, it'll still need a lot more resources. There's large open fields where you can see for a lot farther than you can on the island.

In contrast, we've worked hard to keep the newbie island graphically simple because that's where we teleport people to if there are problems. It will get more complex eventually when we add the fancier sky/weather system, but it'll always be less intense than the huge outdoor areas like Serbule.

Re: the chip set, if it's a built in limitation, then I guess the RAM can't be reallocated?
    No, it can't be reallocated, but the Unity graphics engine works around the limitation by using more of your regular memory. Basically it swaps textures from regular memory into and out of your video memory continuously. This slows down your framerate because copying that stuff around isn't instantaneous. It also uses a lot more memory overall because it basically has "spare copies" of lots of textures loaded in regular memory, ready to shove into your video memory whenever they're needed.

All that said, it should theoretically be doable -- 8gb is a lot of memory, even when it has to swap stuff in and out like that. But the game is far from optimized, and Serbule is where most players hang out, which means you need to have lots of different armors loaded at once. So it's definitely possible that you're using all available RAM and still need more. Hopefully as we optimize things, it'll be less of a problem.

Are you saying that if you play in windowed mode that if you maximize the window the resolution setting doesn't apply, it only makes a difference in full screen? Or am I just misintupritating you saying that making your window smaller is easier?
    I should make that clearer in the Settings window, I think. Yes, the list of resolutions in the game is only used in full-screen mode. In windowed mode, the game's resolution is... however big the window is! So if you maximize the window, the game is effectively running at your desktop resolution. (Minus some pixels for the window borders and start menu and whatever else you have on.)

So if you're running in windowed mode and you want to reduce memory usage, you can either make the window smaller, or change your desktop resolution.

To change your desktop resolution: In Windows 10 if you right-click the desktop itself and choose "Display Settings", you'll see a very similar drop-down list of resolutions. Changing the resolution there will change your whole desktop, which will in turn change the game's resolution when running in windowed mode.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short follow-up

Re: Citan, your suggestion about the Texture Memory Restriction, I'm happy to report that I think that has made a significant difference. I played for around 2 hours in Serbule only, with almost no problems at all & even better, no freeze ups at all. Some window flickering still when comparing equipment or trading with NPCs, but the windows now contain text, visuals etc. & if left for a few seconds, the flickering slows to a stop & I'm able to complete the transaction.

Equally impressive, the graphics have definitely improved compared to what they were by just lowering the graphics settings, more than acceptable for me.

Most importantly, both the CPU & Memory numbers stayed below 50 the whole time, so I think it's a real key.

Re: overheating, because I've had that problem with other laptops in the past, I bought a $3 Tech1 laptop holder at Dollarama. It's adjustable with 7 angles
    from 10 to 16 degrees & sits on a non-skid base that rotates 360 degrees. Totally effective, it's my best Dollarama purchase ever!

Re: the CPU, yes its numbers were up there as well, a close second to the memory.

"That's a complicated question to answer,"
    Thank you for the answer though, it makes sense.

Crissa, I'm happy to be back in game too & thanks, your post earlier is what made the penny drop that I could just manually resize the window.
    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Desiderata.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Lastly, since video memory seems like your bottleneck, you can manually lower the texture resolution. Choose "0: Bad", then click "Show Advanced Options" and set the "Texture Memory Restriction" to 2. The result will be somewhere between the "-1" and the "0" quality levels, much better than -1 but noticeably worse than 0. That may or may not be something you can tolerate, but worth trying.
    Screenshots taken with a new test char after making these adjustments, which I think are pretty nice all things considered. Hopefully thay give you an idea of the detail, draw distance, colour palette, day / night environment, GUI & NPC text clarity & particle effects.

Last edited by Stelawrat; 02-23-2018 at 06:31 AM.
    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Desiderata.

Thread Footer