Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skills - Rate progression and specializing

I like that you can level in each and every skill.
    Has there ever been any discussion on specializing in certain skills?
    Meaning, you pick a few skills and level at a normal rate. All other skills would level at a much slower rate.

It could possibly help with a player driven economy and make the market space more viable.

* Sorry for the cross post. Was in the wrong area, the title was quite misleading and I couldn't figure out how to delete the post. If someone can delete it, please do.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't that be how people play already?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I replied to another post that I made and you make a good point. It doesn't appear to be the case in my experience though. Being able to do everything equally and in parallel, I haven't needed to really buy anything from the market or vendors. I just go and do it on my own in a short amount of time.

Trying to think both early and end game and of ways to get more of a player based economy (based on the large post about vendor spots).

Granted, I'm still new to the game, so that my perspective may change or that's not the case at the larger scale.
    I'm curious on the take of players that have maxed or near maxed skills.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, combat skills you don't use in combat level slowly, ones you use actively level quickly. Similar for crafting skills, as they only really go up if you use them and actively focus on getting new items/recipes for them.

So in effect, what you select is what levels faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's mostly talking about crafting skills I think. I was just thinking along these lines this morning. I need some strong nails for some carpentry items, so I just leveled up blacksmithing enough to make the nails, even though i don't plan on going very far in it. I think it would promote trading if I was unable to do that, or if it were horrendously inefficient for me to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, this is really what I meant to say. I just poorly worded it I guess.
    I didn't want to come out and just say 'only limit X number of crafting skills' to each player, but maybe that's something to consider as well.

Again, this is all assuming that something is truly broken. I seem to be pretty self reliant, but maybe that's the intent.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest overlap skills; skills that need a low skill of A or a higher skill of B to do. If I can gather wood of a certain level, I can make wood chips, for instance. So I'd say a low level of carpentry would get out that skill, but a higher level of foraging. Or fishing and fileting; perhaps a lower skill of cooking or skinning could get you the filet recipes, but a higher level of fishing.

Or maybe your specialization would let you access to some overlap skills at the cost of the other skill? I dunno.

Either way, I feel weirdly sunk when I need higher level wood chips ^-^ Wood chips and nails are the easier parts of those skills, but I understand the need for some gateways and simplification of overlap. And someone really good at filleting might suck at actually fishing, actually, that's usually quite true as cooks and preps rarely do the actual hooking but have to process tons of fish. I'm sure there's other examples, like a blacksmith being a good eye for ore and someone good at prospecting or foraging or mushrooming being good at spotting other sorts of treasure.

The bonus levels just seem inadequate, sometimes.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celedor View Post
    He's mostly talking about crafting skills I think. I was just thinking along these lines this morning. I need some strong nails for some carpentry items, so I just leveled up blacksmithing enough to make the nails, even though i don't plan on going very far in it. I think it would promote trading if I was unable to do that, or if it were horrendously inefficient for me to do that.
    Sorry if you were just trying to give a crafting example, but I wanted to point out that there are several NPCs that sell strong nails, just not in Serbule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I know of at least the woman between the wolves and orcs in Kur that sells them. I just couldn't be bothered to run all the way out there every time I needed some :-). Plus I need various hoops as well. Just handy to be able to make them myself when I need them.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few vendors closer than Kur:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

But yeah, it can still turn into a hike. I'm just not that fond of surveying, so I tend to buy my nails.

Thread Footer