Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Thread: Multiple Guilds
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Probably the first MMO with this functionality was Guild Wars 1. Your guild could join an Alliance with other guilds and you'd all have access to both Guild Chat and Alliance chat. It was designed for the purpose of both Guild vs. Guild and faction farming coordination.
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologise for the necro post.

For the love of all that is holy, DO NOT implement patronage to multiple guilds. If you do, do not call them guilds.

I will use Elder Scrolls Online as the main example why i feel this way. You can be part of 5 guilds in ESO. They should not be called guild, as this is a misconception in that game. read on an you will see why.

I was a guild master in Elder Scrolls Online prior to my addiction to PG. That guild died way before i hit PG. I have been a guild master in most mmos I have played, even in Asherons Call back when WoW was an itch in someones ball sack.

Our ESO guild was large and active, our guild was vibrant, we had many many many many guild events and a very lucrative lottery, our guild was happy and friendly. But was it???

As a result of the 5 guild mechanic. Over time, the idea of being in a "guild" in the traditional sense (think WoW, AC, FF14 - Insert one guild games here) was watered down to such a poor state that people no longer wished to claim a guild as their own, but rather a staging area for different things, a placeholder if you will. Their patronage and homage to the idea of a united front as being part of a single guild just disappeared. This has various serious ramifications as a result.

Patronage unto multiple guilds rather then a single guild means that patronage is fleeting at best as soon as something better comes along. People just leave, period. This is bad for many reasons.

Switching your main guild at will, will kill the concept of a traditional guild, if that becomes a thing.

If you dont like your guild, leave, do not shop around while staying in your current guild, or while looking for a better something else. As a guild leader in most games i play, to me that is worse then stealing from the guild chest. If i cant have your trust to stay in my guild and follow me while i serve you as your leader, what is the point in joining my guild in the first place. There is a /leaveguild or whatever function implemented for a reason.

Once you join a guild you have a personal responsibility to do whatever you can to make that guild grow and flourish. The guild does not exist for you, you exist for the guild, remember that. This is the case for all ranks, including the guild master. Without you (and others), the guild ceases to exist, both in function and ability.

You mentioned a number of things that can easily be organised through your friends list and a party invite.

What drives me to a single guild. Unity. Home. Family. Patronage. Honor. Notoriety. Infamy. Strong Bonds. Close Friends. Comfort. Serving my constituents.

What drives me away from a multiple guild structure. Fleeting patronage. Who cares attitude. Pfft I can come and go as a I please. Im running with such and such guild tonight. Sorry Im progressing somewhere else. I dont need you. Its all about me.

Do you get the drift? Multiple guilds in ESO have killed that game for me in a sense, as I could not find my feet, my home so to speak. Even as a guild leader it was tough to stay focused at the task ahead of me. I understand why they did the multiple guild thing. It was mainly due to guild traders. That is also a cluster fuck now, mainly controlled by one entity, in a huge monopoly.

In my opinion, they should stick to a one guild structure. They could though introduce a system whereby you are a member of a club/group/society/scene etc where you can share ideas, have your own specific chat channel etc.

But stick to one guild. If you dont like your guild and feel you can get a better deal somewhere else, simply leave. Whatever you do, do not string your guild members along by looking for other guilds while they think everything is fine on your end.

Guild unity and fealty in games is one of my bugbears. I am very passionate about it. I am a servant of my people.

Regards
    Ant

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of guild credits I think it should depend on how many guilds you're a part of. (In the hypothetical scenario where this idea is active..)

- Part of 2 guilds? Half credits upon completion.
    - Part of 5 guilds? A fifth of the credits awarded.
    - When you wanted a lot of Gene Wilder gifs, (Wonka.. obvs), but instead have to attend a funeral for the signature section. Rest in RIP, RIP in Piece o'ever-lasting cake. -

(Pssst . . . https://media.giphy.com/media/5ZYlp0bF7qMBa/giphy.gif . . . You're welcome . . .)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole idea of a guild as something to be proud of is bizarre.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    Not saying i disagree, but... why, exactly? In "normal" culture it's umm... normal.... to have a greater sense of loyalty to your family/tribe/country than to other people, and to take pride in that, isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dark Age Of Camelot had an outstanding system as your guild could join a group of guilds and you all shared that chat. It was amazing. I really have missed that feature. Not sure what they were called but want to say Alliances.
    ~~Sparkle~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the idea of being a member of multiple guilds due to guild quests, storage, etc.

I do however, love the idea of formal groups of players(let's call them clubs for example) that are independent of guilds and have no limit on members or how many you can join.
    I think they would be an excellent way to solve the issues of being tied down to one guild without circumventing the limitations imposed by storage guilds, complicating guild quests or undermining guild loyalty.
    As long as clubs have the following features, they would serve all the purposes of a guild without any of the aforementioned issues
    - A permanent chat channel shared between all members
    - A member roster
    - A way to show off your membership to other players (Perhaps optional)
    - Leadership positions (For recruitment, roster management and general organization)
    - A means to post messages for all members to see and reference (For event organization and management)

With this system, there could be a lycan club to help organize groups for full moon quests, for new lycans to ask for help and advice, and for experienced lycans to discuss build options or what shadow feint is good for.
    There could also be clubs for other purposes, like that surveying club mentioned, or a druid club, or a player run shop of sorts(I know I've seen multiple people who offer commissions for crafted items and gardening produce).
    For a while, custom chat channels seemed to serves this purpose quite well, but the practice seems to have died out, perhaps because the only way to advertise custom channels is in global, which is ineffective and annoying. If there was a little club sign in Serbule where you could scroll through clubs and apply to the ones that interest you, then things like class clubs and player run shops could stick around without constantly annoying global.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    So using that as an example, why would you join a guild?

If your answer is I dont or I wont, then this discussion does not concern you.

If your answer is something else, I am genuinely curious as to why you would choose to join a group of people that have similar interests and strive to make those interests flourish, by whatever means necessary, and then not be proud of your achievement as a group in doing so.

I can only assume you have not been part of many long term committed guilds who actually gave a shit about how you felt or how you progressed in a game. Guilds that helped you do that particular something that needed doing or gave you advice at the drop of a hat.

You are playing a game where you can be a pig or a duck. What part of bizarre is being proud of your guild fall into?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoxard View Post
    I don't like the idea of being a member of multiple guilds due to guild quests, storage, etc.

I do however, love the idea of formal groups of players(let's call them clubs for example) that are independent of guilds and have no limit on members or how many you can join.
    I think they would be an excellent way to solve the issues of being tied down to one guild without circumventing the limitations imposed by storage guilds, complicating guild quests or undermining guild loyalty.
    As long as clubs have the following features, they would serve all the purposes of a guild without any of the aforementioned issues
    - A permanent chat channel shared between all members
    - A member roster
    - A way to show off your membership to other players (Perhaps optional)
    - Leadership positions (For recruitment, roster management and general organization)
    - A means to post messages for all members to see and reference (For event organization and management)

With this system, there could be a lycan club to help organize groups for full moon quests, for new lycans to ask for help and advice, and for experienced lycans to discuss build options or what shadow feint is good for.
    There could also be clubs for other purposes, like that surveying club mentioned, or a druid club, or a player run shop of sorts(I know I've seen multiple people who offer commissions for crafted items and gardening produce).
    For a while, custom chat channels seemed to serves this purpose quite well, but the practice seems to have died out, perhaps because the only way to advertise custom channels is in global, which is ineffective and annoying. If there was a little club sign in Serbule where you could scroll through clubs and apply to the ones that interest you, then things like class clubs and player run shops could stick around without constantly annoying global.
    An ingame chat room meets some of these requirements.

I would start there and suggest additional features for things the chat room doesnt meet the needs of.

Chat room MOTD, mods, owner, are all reasonable suggestions.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    Not saying i disagree, but... why, exactly? In "normal" culture it's umm... normal.... to have a greater sense of loyalty to your family/tribe/country than to other people, and to take pride in that, isn't it?
    There is? Why? It's stupid.

Guilds online are just private clubs. Outsiders don't see anything. What's there to be proud of?

Thread Footer