Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #41
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The feedback in this thread is wonderful - keep it coming! (Although in this thread specifically, focusing on Gazluk is more useful for us than focusing on Kur ... but I understand the connection.) I also wanted to respond to a couple of things briefly. (Edit: Or not so briefly.)

Quote Originally Posted by kell.shepherd View Post
    One thing I noticed but didn't see in the notes is mob detection range has increased significantly. Not so critical for melee mobs but ranged mobs missiles will track and hit putting you into combat.
    It wasn't in the patch notes because it wasn't exactly intended. On the other hand, it's also not exactly a bug. Let me explain.

There was a bug in the outdoor mob detection range that we didn't know about for a long time. It got fixed more or less as a side-effect of another fix, and without getting on my radar for patch notes. But because a lot of the content was tweaked for the previous (bugged) range, a lot of content was unintentionally affected by the range fix. Some of it is broken entirely. (Deer mobs, I am looking at you!) Some of it is much harder than intended. Some of it works out pretty well and will probably be left that way. But we're going to have to do a pass back through the bad areas and fix things up again.

Quote Originally Posted by jackybah View Post
    (PLease also consider introducing a little more reliable way to get Wool. Maybe some higher level sheeps in either Eltibule or Sun Vale, that drop Wool when skinned ?)
    Perhaps not exactly what you meant, but this is from the patch notes: "Mountain Sheep (but not low-level 'Valley Sheep') now always drop at least 1 wool, and can drop up to 3. In addition, their 'bonus skin' (when skinning their corpses) is also wool."

Quote Originally Posted by cr00cy View Post
    I played a bit in new zone. It looks nice, but unfortunatly is also very unstble (at least for me) Basicly every time i try to enter or exit it my game just closes. Same when i enter/exit caves in Gazluk. i dotn have any crash reports, anything - game just turns off. It sometime happens when i just run around too(and yes i alredy reported it ingame).
    <nod> Gazluk looks like it causes some memory use problems for the client. We have gotten a number of crash reports, and the in-game reports help us match up times and locations. We're investigating! In the meantime, just as a temporary work-around, you may have better luck if you set your graphics quality way down in Gazluk.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    If it's too much to read, the general idea is focus less on the quantity when it comes to updates and more on the "quality of life" and indepth developing. I used to be excited about updates like "let's see what crazy stuff he came up with this time" . Now my thoughts go towards "Crap, I have to grind some more so I can afford all this new stuff".
    Note that I've snipped most of Khaylara's detailed suggestions and feedback and just grabbed the summary sentence, but I'm not intending to ignore any of the specifics, just going straight to the summary. (And I did read it all!)

I understand exactly what you mean, Khaylara - quantity vs. quality is a very familiar trade-off for live game teams (that is, teams the expand the game after release). Do you concentrate on a lot of expanded content, whether that is in the form of expansion packs or monthly updates? Or do you fix the long-standing bugs, add a more modern chat system, maybe finally give the pointless cave in the mid-level zone some sort of actual purpose? Where exactly the trade-off happens depends a lot on the game, the players, and the dev team - but it is always a balancing act.

But that's post-release. Where we are right now, in alpha, we still need to pin down a lot of the tech and the mechanics. We need to do the crazy stuff now. We are doing quite a bit for quality of life as we go - although admittedly at this point, a lot of it is less 'quality of life' and more 'why the hell isn't that basic feature there yet?', but still. Overall the current balance for us swings towards ... well, not quantity over quality, but bones over quality.

Take Gazluk, for example. Even though Gazluk is a big shiny new zone, it serves an additional purpose: Gazluk contains tests of something like five new tech mechanics. Some of these are low-level enough (in the code sense) that you won't ever see them. Some are smaller versions of something that's planned to be a larger deal later. (Pennoc filled that purpose, for example.)

Even something like skill prices has a testing purpose: We aren't punishing you or trying to slow you down, we're seeing how the math that looks good on paper actually falls out when it meets real players. (Insert quote about battle plans here.) Between your feedback and some basic metrics, we can improve the whole process for the next skill cap raise. Perhaps the best part of this stage of development is that, if something doesn't work, we can change it.

I think part of the problem we are running into is that we have drawn out the alpha so long that some of our long-term alpha players are expecting more from us. That is completely understandable - and, honestly, incredibly flattering. And thankfully something that will improve as we move into beta and beyond and get a little more slack in our balancing tightrope. (Err .. wait - is slack good or bad on a tightrope? Well, hopefully you know what I mean.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm getting used to the aggro range but yeah.. DEER!!!! I've started leveling knife/mentalism which means starting over in the lowbie areas and sheeeeeeeeit deer will start running away if you just start to look at them let alone start the chase.
    That's MrWhiskers to you.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @srand - I am aware it's not a form of punishment (although both Citan and Silvonis seem to have a solid sadistic streak which I find incredibly funny so...debatable if it's intended as punishment or not lol).

My personal reasoning when I wrote that novel

-the game seems to be slowly but surely shifting focus from exploration to the economy (a novel to be written about the game market at a later date tehe)

-at this particular time I personally understand why you release so much content, you would wanna put everything out, hit beta and focus on polishing it for about a year till the actual launch (that's my guess, I might be wrong)

-what effects I think this massive update had on the playerbase (and that's where I'm being negative nancy and correct me if I'm wrong) from what I observed

1. The older players who had the resources and took the update as is, spent few mill and enjoy it. I believe they are not that many though

2. The older players who pop after updates and usually take long breaks inbetween after finishing the content in a week or two (they'll always be around, but obviously you can't put out weekly updates to appeal this category)

3. Active less farming inclined players who are put off by the need to spend their fun game time on tedious farming so they can experience the new content (myself included here)
    4. The wave of new players that we have now coming from AC and AC2. I never played those but I understand that they were quirky, fun and involving. As sad as it is for them losing their favorite game, for PG it could be a huge opportunity. Hence my novel about the quality of life stuff, we want these people to stay not to be put off by things like inventory or storage or plain lack of gold for skills. And from this point of view, hitting the new wave of players with a huge update (and the bugs that come with it) and the promise of "farm till you drop if you want to achieve anything" seems like the wrong move.

The balance you talked about is hard to achieve, yes, it's impossible to please everyone but we need the kind of game that attracted us in the first place. I took the subtle hint about expecting too much from the dev team:P I can only imagine how much work went into this game especially during the last year and tbh I don't even know how you can even keep the server running at this point and by no means any of us underestimates that. But changing the game too much does hurt the playerbase and it might thin it. So someone has to be blunt about the negatives too.

PS sorry if my train of thought doesn't translate very well in writing

On the actual topic I maintain the suggestions about Gazluk weather effects and I'd add some storage options as next move Also this update is probably a good learning curve for the lvl 80-100 unlocks (for both the players and the developers) so whatever issues pop now and are solved will make the next updates much smoother. I wanted to add that to my already long post.
    Last edited by Khaylara; 01-26-2017 at 07:53 PM.

Thread Footer