Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaspen View Post
    I found it to be refreshing and look forward to more vulgarity. While you state it will drive some away it will also lure some in. I get tired of insidious political correctness. I vote to keep it in and don't be afraid to add more. Long as the game states it has adult content, then I don't see a problem. It is one of the things that makes this game unique. To be honest, to me, it feels more realistic and, for me, that enhances the game.

At the end of the day, i feel it is the person who chooses to be offended and not the other way around. They are words and we are adults.
    That!

A couple of years ago a person posted on the old forum that they quit on the character creation screen because they read the background story on their elf character. And made a pretty angry post about it. I think that was record breaking in the way of rage quitting.
    Personally I spent my first couple of days in this game listening to Rita and Blanche, talking to Coth and Nelson. I still follow Gretchen and the skeleton death shepard around and crack up irl.
    I turn off the User tab sometimes because of the players's conversations and not cause of Rita and Blanche. So the assumption that many will be driven away by the NPCs dialogues is imho unfounded. I think we should be more careful about how we express ourselves sometimes and worry less about how elven NPCs like sex.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say instead of debating whether or not the dialogue belongs in the game.

I say we rather debate the idea if there is a possibility this can be turned off on the users side, via an option.

To throw my personal opinion out there-- the fact that the vulgarity / sexuality is in the game, I quite enjoy it. It makes me laugh and definitely makes it apparent that it's -not- a game for kids. Even though it isn't a game for kids, doesn't mean that it's going to stop them from playing it - or being exposed to it how ever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gervase View Post
    I say instead of debating whether or not the dialogue belongs in the game.

I say we rather debate the idea if there is a possibility this can be turned off on the users side, via an option.

To throw my personal opinion out there-- the fact that the vulgarity / sexuality is in the game, I quite enjoy it. It makes me laugh and definitely makes it apparent that it's -not- a game for kids. Even though it isn't a game for kids, doesn't mean that it's going to stop them from playing it - or being exposed to it how ever.
    I'm not strongly for or against it myself, I find it funny and actually appealing to be a part of a game community where the Devs have a sense of humour. (The proper stuff!)

That said I agree with the above point, I think it should be along the lines of 'turn off NPC chat bubbles and text appearing in all'.

This is a game inspired by the MMOs of old, I doubt the community is going to be comprised of pre-teens, so it's not wrong to say that the game is marketed for adults, but that doesn't mean there should be disagreements or counters to this suggestion, @Yertle put it forward and objectively it's not a bad idea and I don't think it would be terribly hard to do. You can /ignore other players so the same should be possible for /ignore [NPC tornado orgy storyteller], it won't affect those who hold their sexual shenanigan anecdotes in high regard.
    - When you wanted a lot of Gene Wilder gifs, (Wonka.. obvs), but instead have to attend a funeral for the signature section. Rest in RIP, RIP in Piece o'ever-lasting cake. -

(Pssst . . . https://media.giphy.com/media/5ZYlp0bF7qMBa/giphy.gif . . . You're welcome . . .)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two quick notes...
    - I'm not "offended" by the dialogue or word choice, I'm not a fan of it and I think it could be something different that would be better, but I don't feel attacked by it. Even before this post the amount so far has been bearable (and it has been good to learn that it has been thought about rather than just blatantly entered), but, again, my feedback would be lessen or options.
    - In regards to the straw-man argument about violence, personally I'm not currently concerned with that with PG. The graphics aren't all that amazing :P and the monsters resemble monsters.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #25
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    When someone says ‘it shouldn’t be that hard to do XYZ’ it is one of those things that is commonly misunderstood by the players. That is especially true when you are talking about an MMO like Project: Gorgon, there are so many things that are interconnected that a single change could require a lot of backend work simply due to how everything is connected.

As to the specifics of allowing players to disable NPC dialogue, well that has the potential to create a lot of trouble down the road. I can already see the accidental turning off of dialogue rage, the missing important information rage, etc. That’s not to say we won’t consider the suggestion, but with any suggestion – it needs to make sense for the overall experience that we are attempting to craft along with the expected functionality and development of the world.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be nice to have a catalog of dialog you've seen and a flag on characters so you can get them to cough it up again.

There's a couple places where they don't say things again that I've talked to them before and since it's sometimes days, months, weeks until I talk to them again, I really need to remember what they said.

And yes, being able to hush of NPC yakking (or at least 'tune out') might be a nice offshoot of that?

It'd need its own UI, though. So no, it's not so easy. But I think it would be worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to stick around here and play this game not just because of Rita and Blanche but because of the very obvious mindset in the game being quite amusing and old school. I like the realistic slant it gives the game as it really is something you'd hear in real life with 2 women doing girl talk. Women do really talk like that at times hate to tell ya lol.

I mean maybe not JUST like that but along the lines of being kind of vulgar.

Just one last story to share.

I used to play RIFT, in alpha and beta in fact I want to say my original character there was Pandora. In any case....I loved something about that game. What it was was that I could overhear people chatting from quite a ways off. You would overhear snippets of this or that , whether NPC or Players, if it was said out loud you could hear it from a realistic distance , say if I was outside the pub I might catch a snippet...etc. It gave depth and layers to the game for me. Made it realistic to know people were around, it was not so quiet and boring.....you felt a part of a world.

Well some time went by and players flooded in and started whining about this. They did not want to hear it. They wanted quiet. So the Dev's caved and took it away and you could only hear if you were literally RIGHT next to them.

Well it seems like such a small thing I know but it honestly put me off a game I truly loved. I quit within a few months not just for that reason but once Dev's start caving in one thing it usually follows they cave on more things.

So while just a small thing, to me these little things are worth speaking up about, whether you like it or not but as it is a part of the culture of this game I hope it stays even if you decide to make it so some can turn it off. I don't want to punished for someone elses needs/wants etc.

I am verbal about this just as I was in RIFT. does not mean I got my way, in fact I didn't (and many of us wanted that to stay in RIFT) but it is worth speaking up about as I really feel it is a slippery slope that starts with Rita and Blanche and moves its way around the game taking away flavour and culture.
    ~~Sparkle~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it, i feel it's unashamed and just... real. To me, that's wonderful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm hearing alot of real world stuff about this subject, might want to incorporate that somehow into the game. maybe a skill for prude so the sex talk is filtered, maybe like the nameless curse, which i still havent gotten rid of, overrides any "filthy" language from npc's. like the elves hate dirty, filthy humans and make us go wash, we could cast piousness on ourselves, or cook angel food cake. dont really want to get super carried away with it but it could be a blast to add something like that. i personally dont need to hear it, but i love the game, and would like to see this aspect of the game developed more. maybe even a religious order that uses prayer to combat the evil, thats how holy warriors have been doing it for eons, why cant it work here. just running it up the flagpole to see who salutes it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I think it's pretty funny and really puts some character into the world. The game doesn't do it constantly or go over board like a bad irish film or anything either. To tell you the truth the quirky nature of the world and it's humor reminds me of the Xanth book series by Piers Anthony.

Thread Footer