Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grobyddonot View Post

Make Endurance skill give following bonuses every 10 levels.
    +10 body heat
    +5 breath
    +5 Dehydration

Or every 25 levels:
    +20 body heat
    +10 breath
    +10 dehydration
    +1 Movement speed

Because as of now, I don't feel rewarded when I max out a skill. Also, would be nice to add Run/Acrobatics, whatever skill, that will increase your movement speed.

Also, if you kill the mutated toes, nerf the movement speed of the cows too.

Other option is to make ALL gear have useful bonuses by default that scale with lvl. As in higher lvl item = higher bonuses. That is +movement speed on all boots/shoes, +body heat on all pieces, etc.

Best case scenario would be to add all of it. That way I will feel rewarded with 70 endurance and 60-70 level items.

Are... you sure that you are on the right forum? Or even the right game? I would fully expect this on a League of Legends forum or something similar. But this is a project that throws back to Old School MMOs, they have base skills that players grind up through use, they have quirky NPCs, they have long Dungeons that sometimes pound your face in, they have meh Graphics(comparatively), they have intricate loot tables where a loot drop can yield that .1% drop and give you the perfect item that you want or a White Spatha worth 25g....

What they don't do however is give clear direction, make it easy, give consultation prizes, give amazing "real time" combat mechanics, give instant gratification....

Grobyddonot, I'm not sure what you expected out of a thread like this, but I don't think that we will see much coming out of it unless you can offer reasonable suggestions, some of those 'broken' mechanics are what make the game what it is. And then, if you trully have that much trouble with the way that PG is being made maybe this isn't the game for you? We enjoy it, a great many people enjoy it from what a general audience perspective. No we probably won't be breaking any records, but meh, that would be great but that isn't really what the aim is. Try to enjoy the game for what it is trying to be not what contemporaries offer as competition, thats crazy cause.... we arn't trying to be like them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FURY View Post
    Are... you sure that you are on the right forum? Or even the right game? I would fully expect this on a League of Legends forum or something similar. But this is a project that throws back to Old School MMOs, they have base skills that players grind up through use, they have quirky NPCs, they have long Dungeons that sometimes pound your face in, they have meh Graphics(comparatively), they have intricate loot tables where a loot drop can yield that .1% drop and give you the perfect item that you want or a White Spatha worth 25g....
    Leveling multiple skills or your character in general in old MMO's gave you great raw power ups, made the game even more fun, enabled fast travel, etc,etc.

What leveling the skills to the current max gave me in PG? Inventory slots, ability to craft lvl 70 items and weak fighting abilities. Because this game is currently about gear. Completely about gear. Want to run faster? Gear. Want to deal more damage? Gear. Want to survive? Gear. Want to slow down the Body Heat diminish? Gear!

Am I supossed to carry 4 complete sets around @ all times? And that's If i'll only use 2-3 combat skills.. One for Cold, one for Utility, one for fighting, one for travelling faster?

Now how is that fun? How does that makes me feel rewarded for raising skill up to 60+-70+?

Where is my old-school-mmo leveling reward? Is it only the ability to craft gear and to have 5-10% damage increase on my abilities without any gear? Pff...

And the game also forces me to do something that I don't want to do, to freeze to death for example. Why don't I have a great alternative to that? You know the old-good-mmo huge worlds with multiple options to grind in different enviroments. Snowy islands or jungle or desert or just the temperate climate. Highest level mobs in different locations. PG is linear, it gives you no alternative. You have to go Serbule-Eltibule-Kur-Ilmari-Rahu-Gazluk. While the game is only in Alpha (even tho it's a couple of years old) this probably won't change. At least I got a feeling, from the blog and forums, that the devs want the game to be "linear" in terms of locations like that.

So TL;DR. I don't feel rewarded for leveling up skills atm. But I tried not to put it that way in Alpha, because you know, it's not the time to balance the gear and all the skills.

P.S. I don't even get extra inventory slots and armor regen for 60 or 65+ Endurace levels. Very rewarding to get it up to 80 (with bonus levels), sure.
    Last edited by Grobyddonot; 01-28-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpygamer View Post
    Lets sum up your feelings:
    You don't like the grind

Not bad for a new player, who hates grinding in games, huh? Just 2 low level examples. So, about your post in my thread, in your words.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygamer View Post
    This post is anything but objective. It casts aspersions at MMO players and the players of this game. It uses simple broad, absolute language to describe personal feelings.
    It's just invalid, because it's simply not true about me, isn't it? Therefore it has no value and is completely dismissed.
    Last edited by Grobyddonot; 01-28-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Leveling multiple skills or your character in general in old MMO's gave you great raw power ups, made the game even more fun, enabled fast travel, etc,etc.

What leveling the skills to the current max gave me in PG? Inventory slots, ability to craft lvl 70 items and weak fighting abilities. Because this game is currently about gear. Completely about gear. Want to run faster? Gear. Want to deal more damage? Gear. Want to survive? Gear. Want to slow down the Body Heat diminish? Gear!

Am I supossed to carry 4 complete sets around @ all times? And that's If i'll only use 2-3 combat skills.. One for Cold, one for Utility, one for fighting, one for travelling faster?

Now how is that fun? How does that makes me feel rewarded for raising skill up to 60+-70+?

Where is my old-school-mmo leveling reward? Is it only the ability to craft gear and to have 5-10% damage increase on my abilities without any gear? Pff...

And the game also forces me to do something that I don't want to do, to freeze to death for example. Why don't I have a great alternative to that? You know the old-good-mmo huge worlds with multiple options to grind in different enviroments. Snowy islands or jungle or desert or just the temperate climate. Highest level mobs in different locations. PG is linear, it gives you no alternative. You have to go Serbule-Eltibule-Kur-Ilmari-Rahu-Gazluk. While the game is only in Alpha (even tho it's a couple of years old) this probably won't change. At least I got a feeling, from the blog and forums, that the devs want the game to be "linear" in terms of locations like that.

So TL;DR. I don't feel rewarded for leveling up skills atm. But I tried not to put it that way in Alpha, because you know, it's not the time to balance the gear and all the skills.

P.S. I don't even get extra inventory slots and armor regen for 60 or 65+ Endurace levels. Very rewarding to get it up to 80 (with bonus levels), sure.
    I played FFXI and let me tell you I love horizontal progression (as in multiple sets of gear for different things at the same lvl) and the accomplishment it gave me when I got them. I love situational gear and this game has unique ways of making that possible. It sounds like you don't like a gear dependent game and that is fine but it's opinion. I mean if you played UO you would see it's gear was everything in that game even more so than this game. This is a design decision and some will like it some won't. As far as the linear zone progression goes, if they continue to develop the game like they have in the past there will be many different lvl dungeons in each area. Take the serbule area, it is a lvl 10 to 25 zone yet the dungeons at their deepest can be up to lvl 45 or so. These newer zones have not been developed nearly as much and Eric has said as much in a more recent blog.
    Last edited by drivendawn; 01-28-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drivendawn View Post
    I played FFXI and let me tell you I love horizontal progression (as in multiple sets of gear for different things at the same lvl) and the accomplishment it gave me when I got them. I love situational gear and this game has unique ways of making that possible. It sounds like you don't like a gear dependent game and that is fine but it's opinion. I mean if you played UO you would see it's gear was everything in that game even more so than this game. This is a design decision and some will like it some won't. As far as the linear zone progression goes, if they continue to develop the game like they have in the past there will be many different lvl dungeons in each area. Take the surbule area, it is a lvl 10 to 25 zone yet the dungeons at their deepest can be up to lvl 45 or so. These newer zones have not been developed nearly as much and Eric has said as much in a more recent blog.
    It's good that you mention UO. I didn't want to bring that up by myself, but let's talk a bit Ultima Online (a good, old, hugely successful MMO that is still ALIVE! after almost 20 years!)

In UO you just dealt more damage with weapons/magic by raising skills. Yeah, equipment empowered you a bit (quite a bit if you're a warrior), but the PLAYER SKILL and the TEAM you play with were such a huge parts of the balance that you could sometimes really get into the fights almost naked on a horsey. Some reagents, a spellbook and a horse and the mage was ready to take on a fully geared warrior (pre AOS). And ofc farming monsters, cause we're kinda PvE here, was easy with a mage, not the cheapest way in terms of reagents, but still good and NAKED except for the strongest monsters in the game. Cast some blade spirits/vortexes couple of walls/fields, all depends on a monster/spot. The best PvE class to kill dragons tho? Well, that's Archery/Taming or Mage/Taming or Mage/Archer. They never needed armor with some great mods. Not even in the latest versions of the game. You can get a mediocre leather set and a bow and go farm some regular dragons carefully.

Shall we compare some details related to combat/crafting/skills?

UO: As of now, you're officialy allowed to macro in UO, even if most of the skills are not that hard to train anymore. Not 1998. On top of that what is resource gathering in UO? Right, you go into a mine and mine there being at least semi-afk, or you to any tree in any town and chop it. How much do I have to travel and fight in UO to get a 100 of iron ore and 100 logs in UO? That's pretty damn right, not at all. I don't have to fight anything at all, I can even be afk. I don't care about characters movement speed or combat skills.
    PG: How much do I have to do and travel in Gorgon to get 100 Redwall Crystal or 100 oak wood? I can't do it in afk mode, I can't do it in the semi-afk mode, I actually have to put in some effort and fight some mobs and travel through the entire map. maybe even multiple times in circles for wood.

UO 1 : PG 0

UO: Can I get the best metal/wood in the Britain? Yes, if my skill is high enough I just have to find the right mining nod/rock or tree and get it. Not even leaving the guarded zone most of the time.
    PG: Can I get the best metal/wood in Serbule (IK that Serbule is not the capital, but it's the center city of the game atm)? Haha, ofc not. I have to travel half a world and freeze my ass in Kur or Dehydrate in Ilmari to get any decent amount of best metal slabs/ores. Wood? At least Eltibule for Cedar.

UO 2 : PG 0

UO: If I level my magery to 40% or 45% out of 100% (120 later), I can cast Kal Ort Por, almost without fizzling, on any recall rune in the game that is marked by any player in the game, teleporting me in 2-3 seconds to any town, island, dungeon entrance, player house, any single square tile of the game world really (yeah, except for inside of dungeons (later versions of the game tho, lol) obviously). That's having level 40-45, hell, even 50 teleportation in PG. And when I'll raise my magery to 60-65-80% (6th circle of magic fizze and no fizzle), I can mark any number of runes almost anywhere I want. Next time I want to get to an NPC on the outskirts of the world: Kar Ort Por, small delay, I'm there. Talk to the NPC, Kal Ort Por back to the city/house.
    PG: Having level 50 teleportaion in PG gives me..hm.. nothing actually. The latest Teleportaion recipe atm is lvl 28. And even that only allows you to recall to ONE bound location for 2 aquamarines and a scroll. And yeah I get like +5 power or smth for lvling it from 0 to 50. Very rewarding teleportation skill and system.

UO 3 : PG 0

UO: Equipped items are on the character and don't take up the backpack space.
    PG: Equipped items still take up the slots in your inventory.

UO 4 : PG 0.

UO: Crafting wasn't random up to AOS+, which was the breakpoint when the game began to die off, because of EA and their "new" ideas. Even then tho, most items were not random, you've only got the random runic enchants.
    PG: Completely random.

UO 5 : PG 0.

Do we want to continue the comparsion? UO is one of my favorite games of all time. I've played it for years! Even when EA bought it and released AOS and stuff, they didn't manage to kill the great game right away, which is surprising, given how bad EA is atm. But, time and EA eventually did their thing, the decline of population, because of stupid overpowered artifacts, which killed the crafting almost completely, insurance and other stuff that influenced PvP, and well, parts of PvE. Community hated it all quite a bit. Hell, even Trammel wasn't such a drawback for PvP lovers as insurance, artifacts, etc were.

Hell, man, UO was truly great and fun to play. One of the best games ever created.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good that you mention UO. I didn't want to bring that up by myself, but let's talk a bit Ultima Online (a good, old, hugely successful MMO that is still ALIVE! after almost 20 years!)

In UO you just dealt more damage with weapons/magic by raising skills. Yeah, equipment empowered you a bit (quite a bit if you're a warrior), but the PLAYER SKILL and the TEAM you play with were such a huge parts of the balance that you could sometimes really get into the fights almost naked on a horsey. Some reagents, a spellbook and a horse and the mage was ready to take on a fully geared warrior (pre AOS). And ofc farming monsters, cause we're kinda PvE here, was easy with a mage, not the cheapest way in terms of reagents, but still good and NAKED except for the strongest monsters in the game. Cast some blade spirits/vortexes couple of walls/fields, all depends on a monster/spot. The best PvE class to kill dragons tho? Well, that's Archery/Taming or Mage/Taming or Mage/Archer. They never needed armor with some great mods. Not even in the latest versions of the game. You can get a mediocre leather set and a bow and go farm some regular dragons carefully.

UO: As of now, you're officialy allowed to macro in UO, even if most of the skills are not that hard to train anymore. Not 1998. On top of that what is resource gathering in UO? Right, you go into a mine and mine there being at least semi-afk, or you to any tree in any town and chop it. How much do I have to travel and fight in UO to get a 100 of iron ore and 100 logs in UO? That's pretty damn right, not at all. I don't have to fight anything at all, I can even be afk. I don't care about characters movement speed or combat skills.
    PG: How much do I have to do and travel in Gorgon to get 100 Redwall Crystal or 100 oak wood? I can't do it in afk mode, I can't do it in the semi-afk mode, I actually have to put in some effort and fight some mobs and travel through the entire map. maybe even multiple times in circles for wood.

UO: Can I get the best metal/wood in the Britain? Yes, if my skill is high enough I just have to find the right mining nod/rock or tree and get it. Not even leaving the guarded zone most of the time.
    PG: Can I get the best metal/wood in Serbule (IK that Serbule is not the capital, but it's the center city of the game atm)? Haha, ofc not. I have to travel half a world and freeze my ass in Kur or Dehydrate in Ilmari to get any decent amount of best metal slabs/ores. Wood? At least Eltibule for Cedar.

UO: If I level my magery to 40% or 45% out of 100% (120 later), I can cast Kal Ort Por, almost without fizzling, on any recall rune in the game that is marked by any player in the game, teleporting me in 2-3 seconds to any town, island, dungeon entrance, player house, any single square tile of the game world really (yeah, except for inside of dungeons (later versions of the game tho, lol) obviously). That's having level 40-45, hell, even 50 teleportation in PG. And when I'll raise my magery to 60-65-80% (6th circle of magic fizze and no fizzle), I can mark any number of runes almost anywhere I want. Next time I want to get to an NPC on the outskirts of the world: Kar Ort Por, small delay, I'm there. Talk to the NPC, Kal Ort Por back to the city/house.
    PG: Having level 50 teleportaion in PG gives me..hm.. nothing actually. The latest Teleportaion recipe atm is lvl 28. And even that only allows you to recall to ONE bound location for 2 aquamarines and a scroll. And yeah I get like +5 power or smth for lvling it from 0 to 50. Very rewarding teleportation skill and system.

UO: Crafting wasn't random up to AOS+, which was the breakpoint when the game began to die off, because of EA and their "new" ideas. Even then tho, most items were not random, you've only got the random runic enchants.

Do we want to continue the comparsion? UO is one of my favorite games of all time. I've played it for years! Even when EA bought it and released AOS and stuff, they didn't manage to kill the great game right away, which is surprising, given how bad EA is atm. But, time and EA eventually did their thing, the decline of population, because of stupid overpowered artifacts, which killed the crafting almost completely, insurance and other stuff that influenced PvP, and well, parts of PvE. Community hated it all quite a bit. Hell, even Trammel wasn't such a drawback for PvP lovers as insurance, artifacts, etc were.

Hell, man, UO was truly great and fun to play. One of the best games ever created.
    So are you mad that PG isn't UO? Are you mad PG is moving farther away from UO than you want? Man, go play UO. IF game is still running and you love it 5 UO to PG 0...why are you here bashing everything PG is? No matter what anyone says, you are dead set on your opinion and tones of your message. Why play a game you hate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[U]Even in PG you don't have to have awesome armor and can even have missing pieces and you can kill regular mobs your lvl and do the same in a group to many of the bosses [/U]

Ok, so to me this is a plus to PG and not UO because it sounds like you put in no effort and lazy game play not to mention unengaging.

Again sounds easy mode as hell with a lot of playing in the same area

PG is still in development and so there maybe new teleport spells and there will be mounts and it really isn't that hard to traverse the PG zones in a timely manner

Again in development, when the new UI comes out this may be a way of the past but yes I don't care for this either

I played Ashron"s Call and for this sort of game which has a lot in common with AC, I think the random loot system is perfect and I love it.

I am glad you liked UO so much but that was only one sentence in my paragraph.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritfingers View Post
    So are you mad that PG isn't UO? Are you mad PG is moving farther away from UO than you want? Man, go play UO. IF game is still running and you love it 5 UO to PG 0...why are you here bashing everything PG is? No matter what anyone says, you are dead set on your opinion and tones of your message. Why play a game you hate?
    No. No. Not interesting anymore, because there are no people in the game I used to play this game with. Plus the community is very small, dying off even. 5 UO to 0 PG are just examples. You can make other examples in favor of PG. Like PG is 3D, etc. I'm not bashing everything PG is, it was a raw comparsion. What can be more objective than that? Oh, nvm.. Because...

I'm dead set on what opinion of mine? You know what my complete all-around opinion of PG is?
    I'm not playing PG right now, because almost all of the WOs are on CD. so that's a couple of weeks-month till i'll get into heavy grind and council farming again. But I will, when at least some wo cds refresh.

Why do you think that I hate PG? First of all "hate" is already a harsh word, you could say "dislike" but that is also not true. Did I ever said that I hate PG? Just PG?

Better and accurate wording is: There are certain things about this game I thoroughly dislike (no worries tho, there were things I hated about UO either, you can't really imagine that I just happily accept everything, right? Not that kind of a person.)

The reason I do not leave/stop playing is rather naive, but still, it's Alpha. Everything is a subject to change, everything can be or can be not wiped. What I'm doing is more like "What I don't like about the game after leveling multiple skills to the cap, what could be done better imo, etc." That's raw feedback with a bit of objectivity when you compare it with other great games/online numbers.

It's not like I started "critising" the game without putting any time and effort into it, right? I also report bugs/exploits/give suggestions via the ingame "!" menu.

If you insist on using the word hate, you may call it "All the stuff grobyd hates in PG" and if you think about it, it's not even much. It starts with the "AI" section in the very first post.

What motivates me to give negative feedback, sometimes harsh? Well, first of all someone has to. If a player truly hates the game he won't even bother visiting a forum once or play the game much. Second, I'm not a great inventor/reporter/pornstar of our time, but what I do have is a great gaming experience of over 20 years with hundreds of titles (inculding tens of mmos). Great AAA and Indie and likewise absolutely terrible rip-off AAA and Indie titles. And I for sure know what I and more importantly some other people (as in not just me as 1 person but at least couple of hundreds from different communities) like/dislike in games.

It's up to the dev team tho, if they consider my feedback at least somehow valuable or not. I doubt that people who absolutely love everything about this game have to protect it, because let's face it, nothing and no one is perfect.

IK most of you think that I'm a hater and constantly dislike stuff. But at least I'm talking about different stuff every time. Not sure how valuable it's all to the devs, but it's certainly has more value than "Oh this game is great and perfect, I love absolutely everything about it." Less positive, but more value for the game in the Alpha.

And I encourage all of you, to talk about things that you love AND don't like in this game. Devs can't read your mind, so speak it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drivendawn View Post
    I am glad you liked UO so much but that was only one sentence in my paragraph.
    Well, I prefer to talk about stuff I know about. I've never played FFXI. As for the locations and such, well, you're mostly right, because it's Alpha and stuff and we'll see what comes, but isn't it likewise the very first sentence of the entire thread?

You like this game, OK. You like carrying multiple sets of gear with you, OK. It's your opinion. I've carried 2.5 sets in PG either. Fighting, Utility (BC, Shield), and some +inventory stuff for crafting/surveying, etc. But even 2.5 are not 4 different sets. It's not that easy to craft 4 perfect sets, moreover it makes no sense. Let's say you'll have them in 3 months. In 3-5-6 (more like 6) month we'll have another major skill cap update (i hope so) and you'll have to craft it all over again. Not that much fun in that for me, knowing that my current items will be obsolete, but that's just me. If, on the other hand, we would already have the 125 level cap for some crafting/battle skills, I would silently grind them to the max, craft the best gear in the game (which will be best for years, I sincerely hope) and then give my feedback. But who knows when the 125 lvl recipes and ingridients will be in the game? Could be 1-2 years from now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, I prefer to talk about stuff I know about. I've never played FFXI. As for the locations and such, well, you're mostly right, because it's Alpha and stuff and we'll see what comes, but isn't it likewise the very first sentence of the entire thread?

You like this game, OK. You like carrying multiple sets of gear with you, OK. It's your opinion. I've carried 2.5 sets in PG either. Fighting, Utility (BC, Shield), and some +inventory stuff for crafting/surveying, etc. But even 2.5 are not 4 different sets. It's not that easy to craft 4 perfect sets, moreover it makes no sense. Let's say you'll have them in 3 months. In 3-5-6 (more like 6) month we'll have another major skill cap update (i hope so) and you'll have to craft it all over again. Not that much fun in that for me, knowing that my current items will be obsolete, but that's just me. If, on the other hand, we would already have the 125 level cap for some crafting/battle skills, I would silently grind them to the max, craft the best gear in the game (which will be best for years, I sincerely hope) and then give my feedback. But who knows when the 125 lvl recipes and ingridients will be in the game? Could be 1-2 years from now.
    Well if you want to just play the game without it changing like that so much I would suggest waiting till the game launches and has solidified it's features completely. Or do like me as I don't play constantly myself and only get on every once in a while to check out new things and give a little feed back.

Thread Footer