Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Yaffy Thanks for the clarity! Its great to hear that even with Gazluk in a less dangerous state nobody is soloing it... I did get that impression from some of the comments... and it's great to hear that a support crew already makes runs faster and better!

The main I'm building is staff/unarmed/shield and I've got a pig, a cow and a rabbit I work on when @Escwine isn't able to log in, so it's good to know there will be something for me to do support-wise whenever I eventually get them to 70+

Helping people in the lower dungeons, I've seen several healers being built so I'm hoping we will eventually have a decent percentage of support in the game

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by preechr View Post
    @Yaffy Thanks for the clarity! Its great to hear that even with Gazluk in a less dangerous state nobody is soloing it... I did get that impression from some of the comments... and it's great to hear that a support crew already makes runs faster and better!

The main I'm building is staff/unarmed/shield and I've got a pig, a cow and a rabbit I work on when @Escwine isn't able to log in, so it's good to know there will be something for me to do support-wise whenever I eventually get them to 70+

Helping people in the lower dungeons, I've seen several healers being built so I'm hoping we will eventually have a decent percentage of support in the game
    There are people who can and do solo a lot of gazluk. lol. Maybe not all of it but when you can solo the elite who drop legendaries like pinatas who cares if you can't solo all of it?

If you read prior in this thread, HR, hardrock, who is In my guild, explains how he solo's some of it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think Yaffy means you can't solo the entire place. Many people can solo the entrance, and move in, but eventually respawning mobs catch up.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, people doing a solo Gazluk run would be news to me. Many people can kill the elites there with burst damage and pick them off one by one, but then that's extremely slow and the respawn risk is high. You can make some progress with a bit of luck, but I haven't heard of anyone say, reaching and defeating BeakHorse solo, which isn't that far into the dungeon and would be a pretty great goal for a solo run. I've been able to manage the first few hallways but a room like the kitchen is a huge barrier to solo players, especially now after the AoE change. I think the most manageable would be a solo healsuit tester or golem run because I can think of some ways to do that, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaffy View Post
    Yeah, people doing a solo Gazluk run would be news to me. Many people can kill the elites there with burst damage and pick them off one by one, but then that's extremely slow and the respawn risk is high. You can make some progress with a bit of luck, but I haven't heard of anyone say, reaching and defeating BeakHorse solo, which isn't that far into the dungeon and would be a pretty great goal for a solo run. I've been able to manage the first few hallways but a room like the kitchen is a huge barrier to solo players, especially now after the AoE change. I think the most manageable would be a solo healsuit tester or golem run because I can think of some ways to do that, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet.
    I soloed beakhorse. ( not saying it was easy though) I ran past gut aches room and straight to the 2f stairs, died, ate a green.

Would have to "cheese" golem which I wouldn't do because I'm sure that's an exploit ( I bet you know what I'm referring to)

Could conceivably do slime boss on 2f if I brought enough greens to make it to the back of his room.

I may have soloed the urak boss on 2f also, although I didn't get to him by myself, I asked the group to let me try killing it myself. This was like a year ago though when archery was a bit stronger then it is now, archery + chem... I say "may" because I'm not 100% sure I succeeded, I am 99% sure though.
    Last edited by ErDrick; 05-30-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErDrick View Post
    That being said, there are only 2 reasons why you would ever level and gear an AE build. The first reason is to make money, which is sort of needed because costs become extremely prohibitive later on in the game...especially when you are working on leveling your 15th skill to 70....so you do the work of leveling up an AE skill so that you can use it to speed up the grind of whatever new skill you want to level.( which is the 2nd reason to even level an AE build) and also pay for this new skillset.
    Nope. Those are the only two reasons you would ever level and gear an AE build. Don't try to tell everyone else how or why they should be playing. I've been vaguely fuming over this statement for the last couple days, so I'd like to emphasize that your listed reasons bear no relation to why I enjoy AOE builds.

Ok, with that bit of animosity hopefully out of the way:

You might be asking yourself what's the rush? Welp after you play this for several thousand hours you might understand that a bit more, the slow way starts to lose it's charm. AE builds are utter crap in group content ( unless you severely outlevel the content in question)...because not only will you cause every mob being hit to rage on you at the same time ( thus killing you instantly) But you will also break all forms of crowd control your party is using to stay alive. It is important that you understand that AE builds only have those 2 uses, because without those, there is no reason to ever use one.

When people reach the apex of their chosen skills and have explored all current content, the only thing that keeps them logging on is that they can level and try a completely different skillset and playstyle, slowing down that process does more harm then good ( aka prohibitive costs and unreasonable timesinks). When the "pain in the ass" factor becomes greater then the "enjoyment for time spent" factor, people stop logging on.
    See, this part doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm reading this as:
    Problems:
    AOE builds are not good in group content.
    You get bored after spending thousands of hours in the game.
    You want to level new skills fast.
    You want to make money fast.

Single solution:
    Preserve the previous aoe build despite it being useless in the type of content you enjoy playing.

I think the problems are worth discussing, but I don't think the solution makes much sense except maybe as a bandaid.

Another important thing to consider is the change would be reasonable if he stopped throwing 10-15 mobs at us at once. Go and try to fight in goblin annexes or on rahu plateau to get a good idea of what I mean, there are a million other places but both of those are simple examples.....So I guess there is a 3rd use for AE builds, and that is because it is forced on you for certain content. That is not our faults, it is by design. Another example of this would be how respawns in dungeons currently work, as in....10-15 things suddenly appear on top of you and then proceed to rape you. This is the main reason btw why people are forced to focus on DPS builds and skillsets, because if you are too slow at killing you lose the game, the respawn will make sure of it.
    Yes, that's a problem, even when playing solo. I'd generally like fights to take a bit longer, have more survival options and have some reasonable way to avoid respawns. "Pop - you are dead" is not fun.

I have not been using archery for a while now and that is because the inventory space lost is already not worth using it over another skill, combined with the horror of fletching and the fact that every attack effectively costs money to fire it just isn't worth using over another skillset. Adding to that the "utility" that archery used to have has been rendered largely useless.
    Archery has stun, aoe, mez, great single target damage, modded rage reduction and a small heal. At least for the content I've done, piercing damage seems to be quite effective, and archery also has the option of pulling in a couple other damage types if needed. So, I think the utility is there. Whether it's worth losing x inventory slots is debatable, but it's not been a bad skill, especially since it's offhand and can be paired with all kinds of exciting main hand skills.

I also don't find fletching particularly horrifying - it's not the most fun mechanic in the game if you just want some arrows right now, but it's pretty easy to buy them from other players too. And a stack of arrows lasts a long time.

All this being said, when I was playing archery I found myself in situations in the game where I chose not to dps when in a group because I didn't want to waste an arrow on a mob that was going to go down anyway. That feels pretty dumb... I tend to avoid using consumables in general, so I don't know if that's a just-me-problem or not. My main quality of life suggestion for archery would be to have some kind of quiver that reduces the lost inventory slots to 1 or 2, and to have a certain percentage of arrows be retained automatically in your inventory instead of having to loot them (or having to ask your group members to collect the arrows for you if it's their loot turn, ugh.)

When I was playing archery, it felt that Mangling Shot was more epic than my actual epic attack, so I can maybe see the patch changes from that aspect.

Group play VS solo play:
    I can't speak for group play, but a couple quick opinions:

I'd agree that solo or small group play is generally quite well balanced. I have had rage reduction work well in a two-player group, with both of us doing rage reduction. So, it seems likely that it could similarly work in a 6-player group, as long as all 6 players are using their rage reduction abilities. I don't think that would be a particularly desirable group play style though - it would be nice if the necessary rage reduction could be handled by 2-3 players out of the 6...

I've never found much use for crowd control in solo play. I think part of it is just that I'm not all that fast at retargeting, so taking the time to target and mez a mob and then target my original mob again loses me precious seconds that I could spend dps'ing, and the mez tends to not buy me enough time to feel worthwhile. If the mobs are hard enough that I want to mez one instead of having it beat on me, the odds are that I won't be able to kill the other mob(s) before the mez wears off and then I'll still die.
    My main spot for mez use has been the winter nexus in a 2-player group, when we really wanted to avoid rage attacks from any ogre adds. Coordinating that was difficult though - even with both players in Discord, there was some voice chat delay and we'd end up breaking each others mezzes fairly frequently. Having some temporary damage immunity on newly mezzed mobs would be great. Having fewer mobs in some dungeons would also be helpful in that aspect - when ambushed by 5-6 mobs at once, being able to mez just one of them feels fairly useless.

I like the direction of your proposed group play changes.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw I would also like to add that while a tank and support is nice to have, a full group of 6 DPS people in the level of gear that Yaffy has suffers no problems destroying groups of 6 elites at once, because each group member is capable of soloing a mob ( although we focus fire instead). The only thing that can kill you besides player error is bad timing on AE disables from tacticians in that situation....or if someone needs to afk for a minute, or if you have to stop to phlog stuff because you have full inventories( repops). It is still boring though ( imo).

But again we are talking about people that are essentially level 90 in level 70 content. Which isn't useful info when talking about balance.

Not trying to attack the valid points you have made though and I hope you don't see it as such.
    Last edited by ErDrick; 05-30-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: I mistakenly wrote "Infiltrators" when I meant tacticians

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Tagamogi

What do you use your AE abilities for if not to kill trash mobs quickly? Do you AE manticores to death or something? Do you use ae skills from skillsets that are level appropriate for dungeons or areas that you are in? As in, are you using ae's to kill things @ level 40 that drop level 40 gear that you actually need ( aka you are wearing level 30-35 gear, and using the level 40 versions of those skills, as an example). If so, how do you survive the pull long enough to kill them ( at appropriate skill levels). If not, what exactly are you doing with them? ( these are honest question for the sake of clarification and balance btw, not an attack).

I would love to hear your perspective. I didn't tell anyone "you must play the way I say" I just stated the only reasons that I know of, why you would use them. Could I be wrong? Of course I could, show me how... it's 100% possible that you can change my mind. I definitely don't mind that you disagree with me, your points are equally valid.

Also I proposed more then one simple solution, the 2nd was stop throwing groups of monsters at us if you don't want us to ae them. I am 100% fine with AE being nerfed if we are not then forced into fighting multiple opponents at once.

As for your opinions on archery, valid as well...but you can't have all of the things you mentioned on the same set of gear.( at least not at amounts to make them effective) And a lot skillsets have those same options in different flavors.

Rest of what you said I can agree with to some extent, and even if I didn't your perspective is valid and welcomed.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved using crowd-control skills in WoW but the targeting in PG is just... Alot sloppier. I haven't played in the last few weeks and hope the patch before last made it better (having the tab list order change all the time was annoying, and having click-targeting use a different formula somehow than mouseover has been... limiting) But this is beta, so you expect some ongoing troubles.

Of course, I played a Feral Druid and even when I played Resto I wasn't above going bear to stun something so I could have breathing room.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    I loved using crowd-control skills in WoW but the targeting in PG is just... Alot sloppier. I haven't played in the last few weeks and hope the patch before last made it better (having the tab list order change all the time was annoying, and having click-targeting use a different formula somehow than mouseover has been... limiting) But this is beta, so you expect some ongoing troubles.

Of course, I played a Feral Druid and even when I played Resto I wasn't above going bear to stun something so I could have breathing room.
    Ay I agree with you Crissa. This game leaves much to be desired when it comes to the group interface and targeting in general. It makes healing really painful when it comes to targetted healing. Its one of the reasons I won't try the preist class right now.

Thread Footer