Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Based on feedback, I think we just need to anchor it and then leave it. There are going to be people who like it and then there will be those who won't, no matter the position. I think it's one of those things people will have to get use to and it will grow on them.

That said, we need to figure out why the box is so huge on some setups. If that's fixed, I think it'll help a lot.

If you have a 'huge' tool tips window please post screenshots here.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    (And yes, I can add some hacky thing to let you pick. But it won't be elegant and will just be some hacky special command. Let's ignore that for now. What I want to know is: what should the DEFAULT BEHAVIOR be? Where do you think it will be out-of-the-way for most people?)
    Because people don't seem to be complaining about the left side bars tool-tips, I'd say attach it to the left side bar. If you move the tool-tips that do come up for the left side bar, say a fixed distance to the right of the icon instead of mousex, that would clear up the overlap there, but that pretty minor, the tooltips on the left side bar work pretty well as is. A toggle key to turn on and off tool tips I still think is a better solution, and if there was an option just so they need to be toggled on during combat that would maybe make people happy. It is only in combat that they get in the way. Sorry we complain :|

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we already know what these combat icons do we really don't need to see it. We can always go to abilities and see the spells if we want to change them. When the box was up top left i bet people never really looked at it. You were to busy fighting to really care about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure what feedback you are going off of Silvonis, but I can assure you that no one I have spoken to in Asheron's Legacy is happy having it obscure their vital bars. Leaving it be is NOT the answer just because you can't decide on an alternative. What is the point of having vital bars and an avatar if I cannot monitor my health and power during a fight because it is obscured by the ability tool tips. I like the idea of having it anchored to the left edge of the mini map..which currently resides in my top right corner. No idea how to put a screenshot here. As a side note, I guess it just seems so much bigger than before or perhaps was less relevant before is all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyxxx View Post
    As we already know what these combat icons do we really don't need to see it. We can always go to abilities and see the spells if we want to change them. When the box was up top left i bet people never really looked at it. You were to busy fighting to really care about it.
    Hold on, I disagree with this. When using mods that influence abilities' damage values during combat, it helps to have those numbers indicated by the tooltip. For instance, I use the 'Pain Yields Art' mod for Bard, which increases base damage based on how many times you take damage in combat. Not only does having the tooltip handy help me plan out my method of attack (such as waiting until the damage value reaches a certain amount before using harder-hitting abilities), but it also helps me determine the maximum damage potential for any given encounter.

For more general use, it can also help with budgeting when you're low on power. Having each ability's power cost readily available on the tooltip is helpful as well, so you can prioritize by taking into account how much of your remaining power you'll use.

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Now, I can definitely anchor them on something else. But please understand here: they MUST be anchored on something. You cannot move them like regular windows because tooltips disappear when you move. And they can't be free-floating with the new UI.
    I might be misunderstanding the exact limitations in play here, but would it be possible to implement an "Edit Mode" for non-persisting UI aspects? Such as the ability tooltips and the grey message bar that pops up when you bury remains or light a lamp and things like that. Opening up the edit mode would enable those exact areas to which the aspects are anchored to become visible and customizable, allowing a user to click and drag that area or modify its size. If that solution isn't possible/intuitive that's fine, but I thought it might help to suggest that.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DamageIncorp View Post
    No idea how to put a screenshot here.
    https://forum.projectgorgon.com/show...from-imgur-com

So, my promised screenshots. First of all, I apparently have terrible memory and my tooltip isn't actually where I thought it was. Second, here is how my screen currently looks, with a UI file that was default-created under UI preview #2 , and then modified by me to set UI scale to 1.30267 and tooltip text size to 16. Screen resolution is 1920x1200:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

This doesn't currently obscure anything important like I thought it did, but it would be kind of helpful to be able to see the enemy I'm fighting. Even enemies a bit bigger than a chicken are easily hidden by this tooltip. I don't really want the tooltip to be smaller because then it would be hard to read but it's kind of hard to find a free section of screen for a big text box like that. (And I agree with Gruffon, I definitely want the tooltip visible somewhere on my screen.)

(For my own amusement, the screenshot is also showing off my amazing tundra spikes taunt damage, and a yellow on yellow cooldown timer on Take the Lead.)

I poked around in my old config files, but I can't really find one that looks as awkward as I thought my UI originally looked before I reset the config file. Here is one that looks a bit rough - resolution 1280x800, GUI scale 1, tooltip text size 11:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

My big complaint there is basically just that it hides the armor and power bars.

Also: I've been trying to find a good spot to place the party member health bars when in a group. Originally, with my avatar in the top left, I tried putting them under my avatar where they got hidden by the tooltip. Then with my avatar above the abilities bar, I tried placing the group health bars above my avatar where they were again obscured by the tooltip. So yes, maybe anchoring the tooltip to the character avatar isn't ideal, since I think people would usually want their group to show up near their own portrait which makes it more likely for the tooltip to interfere with the group display.

(No chickens were harmed in the making of these screenshots.)

Edit: Well, doh, so I just realized that the size of the tooltip depends on the ability. So, for a possibly even better big screenshot, here's the largest tooltip I could find:
    Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by Tagamogi; 12-07-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought of giving the tooltips a window that we can turn on, move, and then vanish?

In WoW, the addons that let you move things have a key or button your can press to reveal the window edges, so you can move them around. Final Fantasy does this as well. And then you move them, and then hide the controls again.

I might point out that the tray to the status effects is visible and crooked. It drives me nuts ^-^

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd definitely love to be able to move the tooltip around myself, but I don't want to strain development resources too much.

One more thought I had: The current tooltip is really more of an essay than a tooltip. I love every single line of it but... What if we had a very abbreviated 3-4 line tooltip that just showed ability name (no icon), power use and base dmg, and then we could hit alt to bring up a detailed tooltip that shows all of the current information? A short tooltip like that could work anchored to the ability bar. Or hide the whole tooltip by default until we press alt? The problem with the latter option would be letting people know there is a tooltip available there. So maybe by default make the tooltip show, and then have a Settings menu option to allow people to turn it off unless they press a key?

Of course, I don't know if any of those ideas are less development intensive either. I think the reason the tooltip worked well in the old UI is that by default there was nothing else up in the top left corner.

For a quicker solution, I think anchoring to the left of the minimap would work nicely. For me, at least.
    Last edited by Tagamogi; 12-07-2017 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trouble with the ability tool tips over the abilities was that you couldn't see the ability icons sometimes - especially their "recharge" timers. The is of course when you are "hovering" ready to initiate a combat skill. At the moment I usually use the keyboard for abilities but sometimes use the mouse for other ones, but some people may just use the mouse.

Perhaps the tool tips should:

* Not be displayed while in combat? (you won't be reading them while in combat so much, right?)
    * Have a toggle off?
    * Right click for the tool tip? (doesn't sound so good.)
    * Something else I've not thought of

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a real solution to have a toggle off (although I do think it should be available for other reasons), or to have it not be displayed while in combat (that's more of a workaround).

Is there a way to make a new item (like a chat window) that it can be locked too, an item small and obscure so that you can move the tooltip as though it wasn't locked to something, because the thing it's locked to is very very small?

For the time being, its best if one moves ones portrait to the bottom left side of the screen. That's where the tooltip is least intrusive and aggravating.

Thread Footer