Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some games had a system by which you could force an out-of-combat by sitting down. If nothing actually hit you, you would fall out of combat after n number of seconds, nevermind what was going on around you.

Since zoning out isn't always an option... I'd rather have some system of forcing combat out that getting a timeout every time I want to switch loadout/clothes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Path of Exile has an excellent inventory searching system. Please take a look at it for ideas. There is a search bar on every inventory window, and when a search is active, items that do not match the search are grayed-out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems we're getting some QoL updates tomorrow so bumping this, might be too late to get anything added to this patch but here's a few more suggestions I had. I understand that some of my suggestions may be taken as making the game 'too easy/handholding' but I'd just like to mention I spend a lot of time interacting with new players(helping newbies is what I enjoy doing and I often recruit new players to my guild and help them out) and if I'm suggesting something it's because I have heard countless people complaining about the way it is, some to the point of quitting entirely because it makes the game clunky and harsh for no good reason.

-Have what favor gets you be shown more cleary, for example talking to tadion does not show a storage tab until you've unlocked the storage. If it shows a storage tab and when clicking on it sais "Requires higher favor level" then you will know you want favor with that NPC. This is mostly to help newbies, I have seen countless people running around completely unaware that getting favor with certain NPC's will benefit them - They completely ignore the NPC because they offer no quests or storage

-In a similar fashion perhaps list all available abilities under your skills but gray them out, again I have seen countless newbies completely unaware that there are other abilities for their skills, as an example I did not know you got more abilities for Archery by buying them - I got to level 30 and determined archery sucks because I was completely unaware that Elahil offered skills like heavy shot or Velkort taught fire arrow. Many newbies simply use the skills you gain from levelling up because they're not directed to ability trainers(archery is especially bad, with 4 different NPC's teaching skills) which leads to "this game sucks, you only get 5 crappy abilities to use and you never get improvements for them"

The only ingame indicator for the existence of these abilities is arbitarily talking to the trainer and clicking the training tab(Something I never did for velkort because he teaches fire magic which I'm not interested in so I never found fire arrow) or finding gear with mods for it, which from talking to newbies they either don't register that those mods meant they should go out and get skills or they assumed the skills would come at a much higher level.
    Last edited by NickzMagic; 11-27-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickzMagic View Post
    -Have what favor gets you be shown more cleary, for example talking to tadion does not show a storage tab until you've unlocked the storage. If it shows a storage tab and when clicking on it sais "Requires higher favor level" then you will know you want favor with that NPC. This is mostly to help newbies, I have seen countless people running around completely unaware that getting favor with certain NPC's will benefit them - They completely ignore the NPC because they offer no quests or storage
    I'm on the fence on this one. I want newbies to be happy but I also enjoy the surprise of discovering that an NPC has storage. It wouldn't be game-breaking for me if potential storage was shown for all NPCs, but I have a slight preference for leaving it hidden. Maybe a compromise could be to only show potential storage in Serbule, or start off storage NPCs there with one or two slots, just so new players will notice the storage? Or, assuming people read the "Stuff to Do" list, there could be an entry there for "Make Friends with Marna" that introduces them to the concept that some NPCs will have storage options at higher favor levels.

FWIW, I'd been playing for well over a year before my blacksmithing reached the level that I decided to get friendlier with Tadion and got the surprise of my life. After throwing my celebration party, I then promptly shared my amazing discovery with my friend, spoiling his potential discovery (which I don't think he minded). I think that, for myself, I still prefer the discovery process...

-In a similar fashion perhaps list all available abilities under your skills but gray them out, again I have seen countless newbies completely unaware that there are other abilities for their skills, as an example I did not know you got more abilities for Archery by buying them - I got to level 30 and determined archery sucks because I was completely unaware that Elahil offered skills like heavy shot or Velkort taught fire arrow. Many newbies simply use the skills you gain from levelling up because they're not directed to ability trainers(archery is especially bad, with 4 different NPC's teaching skills) which leads to "this game sucks, you only get 5 crappy abilities to use and you never get improvements for them"

The only ingame indicator for the existence of these abilities is arbitarily talking to the trainer and clicking the training tab(Something I never did for velkort because he teaches fire magic which I'm not interested in so I never found fire arrow) or finding gear with mods for it, which from talking to newbies they either don't register that those mods meant they should go out and get skills or they assumed the skills would come at a much higher level.
    I definitely get what you are saying. I would prefer that the game did not show me grayed out abilities - it makes me feel like I have to rush out and unlock them now in order to remove the gray, and I don't like being prodded that way.

But yes, it's easy to miss abilities. I still hate sword because my newbie experience with it left me feeling like I sucked. I knew there were other abilities out there because they were showing up on my mods, but I didn't know how to get them or at what levels I would be able to learn them, so I was stuck with unusable mods, all slashing damage, no epic attack and an increasing feeling of frustration.

Maybe a solution could be to look at specific skills and revise their trainers or set up some kind of breadcrumb quest or talk for them? I don't really feel it's a problem with all skills. For example, if you look at Animal Handling, it's taught by Gisli, he has the stable, and all the training options, so I don't feel that skill needs any help. Or Psychology - it has a couple abilities you can miss out on if you are just looking at what you get when you level, but it doesn't feel like the missing abilities are a key to using the skill effectively, so I think it's fine to leave them to be randomly discovered.

In general, I think if a skill is taught by a trainer, that trainer could have some hints on where to go for more advancement in that skill. For example, Echur could mention the Myconians to the player when teaching mentalism. If it's a skill that's picked up on the newbie island, I think it should be more accessible than some of them are. Archery does feel weird to me because it's spread out over so many trainers. I don't think it's a big deal if one or two abilities are hidden, but with all of archery's trainers, it can be easy to miss several. [ Doesn't Elahil teach Heavy Shot? Are you saying they trained fletching and didn't see Heavy Shot?]

Sword remains my pet hate, of course. Knowing that you can learn Thrusting Blade at level 18 and where to train it does you no good whatsoever because you wouldn't likely be able to talk to the trainer until you are 30+ anyway, if you are just exploring the game on your own. I know there are some sword scrolls out there that duplicate the trainer but finding them can still be rough.

Anyway, just my lengthy take on it. On second thought, you could also just add unlocked but not yet learned abilities on the Reports tab for the skill or something like that - it would be accessible but still somewhat hidden, so it wouldn't bug me. I'm not sure if just listing the missing abilities would be enough, or if a hint for the trainer would be needed too. And then the trainer info may be TMI and/or not usable if the newbie does not know how to get to that NPC...

Thread Footer