Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They get testing for free, we play for free, just a thought.
    We lost many things (including my lost poetry bonus level *hint hint*) but that's expected in alpha, beta, even after release items wipes happen. Compensation for what? I mean your playstyle is your choice really, the devs didn't force you to research 200 WoPs. I lost actual items (gear pieces) to bugs, reported, moved on, those bugs were fixed. I don't expect compensation or eternal gratitude for bug reports so a little confused. Yes, srand is more diplomatic than Citan or Silvonis but I still fail to see what's so triggering in Silvonis's reply:O

"3. I put in a ticket asking if it was a bug. I also informed them that I had spent a huge amount of time on this. The response was "this is how the mechanic works, players can steal your words of power" paraphrased. Maybe one sentence. No apology from them, no compensation as after all I am testing your game and the flawed mechanics for you from my own time... nothing. " --I don't consider it a flawed mechanic, I actually find it realistic that some other people can research the same words. As I mentioned b4 it was much easier to save yourself the trouble and ask on Help chat. I'm not sure everything I report is a bug but I report it anyway, I usually don't get a reply but I'm absolutely sure it's noted, srand might be a very nice lady but she would go crazy answering all reports (especially if they don't actually concern bugs).
    Last edited by Khaylara; 07-11-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there really are only 10,000 words of power and Arundel made 200 in a days worth of work there is an economy problem that is only going to get worse with greater player population. One player taking out 2% of the supply in a day is a large percentage. Are they recycling eventually after use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srand View Post
    Worse still, the game has advanced in some ways but this system just hasn't kept up. We need to do a lot of work to get it up into the same gameplay usability ballpark (if that makes any sense) as more recent skills.
    Since it sounds like you might be making some changes to the Word of Power system, I wanted to toss an idea I had out there:

Reusable, personalized (like brewing) words of power. Each WoP would still use phonemes, but instead of generating words at recipe/research time, you could mix and match various phonemes to create effects on the fly, with the only restriction being the part of the word the phoneme appears in. As an example, if a basic word of power is now three parts, a b c, b might describe the effect you want, with a being a modifier as to the strength, duration, or otherwise modifying the effect, part b. Part c might be who the effect should happen to (with a phoneme for "me", another for "a circle with a radius of five meters centered on me" (which would include you!), "twenty feet in front of me" etc) As you level, you'd be able to choose a section to gain new phonemes in, specializing in more powerful but limited effects, or a variety of effects but only affecting yourself, or being able to cast a cantrip on anyone by name. Eventual high level applications might include different tenses of the language (describing an effect that will happen, or making "then in the past" be "actually happening now"), or meta phonemes that allow you more flexible structure in parts of your spell (Instead of just a "strong alcohol tolerance for me" you might have a "strong and long lasting alcohol tolerance for me" or a "strong alcohol tolerance for everyone within ten feet of me that isn't an elf"). Because any words of power beyond the bare basics are per person, you won't run into others researching the same words as you and using them first, and anyone else attempting to use your creations will at best look foolish, and at worst light themselves on fire or be cursed to a fate worse than death.

Balancing a system like this promises to be extremely hard, and the only places I can even think of to start are:
    • Make it an end-game system that costs money per level, as supplies for a properly equipped room where you mutter to yourself until something happens, and the ability to both test what that something is, and survive the potential consequences without destroying your premises.
    • I guess another alternative would be to balance through tedium again and force you to try combinations by hand to discover new ones, with your level reflecting what you know. But this seems like a problem in that it is both really un-fun and open to abuse by unscrupulous individuals.
    • Do limit the number of times a word of power can be used, with perhaps higher levels or certain meta-modifiers giving a bonus, requiring substantial effort to prepare every time you want to be able to use your custom spells.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Suggestion too-make the priority based on Lore or Vocabulary. For example 4 people research the same word, only the player with the highest Lore or Vocabulary can actually use the word, the other 3 will stutter and mess it up The stuttering could be a filter like the beast speech or the drunk speech. I don't know, I like the current mechanic (words researched by other players that "expire").

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Expanding on Khaylara's idea what if you are drunk and you misspeak the work and crazy backfire effects kick in if your drunk speak causes issues with the word.

"Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah. "
    "Dung-eating fool! Thou hast doomed us all!"

So the bulk might be to summon an undead foes, or getting the Haunted Curse. Haunted Curse with even more powerful enemies. hah, just what popped into my head read the post.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's sadistic but it sounds so fun xD Imagine being blind drunk and have a harp equipped and an army of Ursulas spawns on you cause you slurred a WoP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like that

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds hilarious ^-^

I mean, you'd have to control for griefing, since you could to it 'intentionally' but aside from that!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    That sounds hilarious ^-^

I mean, you'd have to control for griefing, since you could to it 'intentionally' but aside from that!
    Yes I can see maybe some need for griefing control. Kind of thinking that you would end up other backfires as well, like instant death, leprosy, armor debuffs, tempted to say inability to get xp for a couple of hours (but that seems to drive some people over the edge :-| ) , thinking the fact that all kinds of bad things might happen might slow down people walking into a crowd and hoping for the calling of the army of the undead. It is those oh damn moments, I was only tipsy and I forgot I was and look what happened, that would be the funniest to experience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    They get testing for free, we play for free, just a thought.
    We lost many things (including my lost poetry bonus level *hint hint*) but that's expected in alpha, beta, even after release items wipes happen. Compensation for what? I mean your playstyle is your choice really, the devs didn't force you to research 200 WoPs. I lost actual items (gear pieces) to bugs, reported, moved on, those bugs were fixed. I don't expect compensation or eternal gratitude for bug reports so a little confused. Yes, srand is more diplomatic than Citan or Silvonis but I still fail to see what's so triggering in Silvonis's reply:O

"3. I put in a ticket asking if it was a bug. I also informed them that I had spent a huge amount of time on this. The response was "this is how the mechanic works, players can steal your words of power" paraphrased. Maybe one sentence. No apology from them, no compensation as after all I am testing your game and the flawed mechanics for you from my own time... nothing. " --I don't consider it a flawed mechanic, I actually find it realistic that some other people can research the same words. As I mentioned b4 it was much easier to save yourself the trouble and ask on Help chat. I'm not sure everything I report is a bug but I report it anyway, I usually don't get a reply but I'm absolutely sure it's noted, srand might be a very nice lady but she would go crazy answering all reports (especially if they don't actually concern bugs).
    I would hope you can understand the difference between a statement of fact "no compensation" and a direct request "give me compensation!". If that is too hard for you, then I am not sure what to say.

Thread Footer