Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    Of course it exists, but that isn't a feature that makes the market forces less like reality.
    It never was like reality to begin with, hardly can get less realistic.

To attract players to market it should be either interesting or important. It's not interesting and, thanks to coin-farming, it's not important. In it's current form it's pretty much store owner roleplay or charity.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atis View Post
    It never was like reality to begin with, hardly can get less realistic.
    This contradicts this:

To attract players to market it should be either interesting or important. It's not interesting and, thanks to coin-farming, it's not important. In it's current form it's pretty much store owner roleplay or charity.
    ...Which doesn't disagree with the assertion that economics is economics, in game or out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This contradicts this:

...Which doesn't disagree with the assertion that economics is economics, in game or out.
    Economics is different for every situation and there is no IRL situation exactly like in PG. Bazaar merchant from tiny pacific island will do at Wall Street just as good as IRL economics does in this game.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for saying economics doesn't exist pointlessly. It's nice that you have such unfounded beliefs, I guess, for you, but disastrous for games and real life.

That's so... Unique and useful and going to get the thread locked.

Economics is different for every situation and there is no IRL situation exactly like in PG. Bazaar merchant from tiny pacific island will do at Wall Street just as good as IRL economics does in this game.
    There's so much wrong there.

As long as there is capital to trade, it doesn't matter if it's pigs, pig futures, or stocks, the basic mathematics of it doesn't change; just the weights of the parameters.

You might have well just said a campfire has no relation to a blast furnace. Or an integrated circuit to a Baghdad battery. Only the parameters change, not the formula or mechanics.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for saying economics doesn't exist pointlessly. It's nice that you have such unfounded beliefs, I guess, for you, but disastrous for games and real life.

That's so... Unique and useful and going to get the thread locked.

There's so much wrong there.

As long as there is capital to trade, it doesn't matter if it's pigs, pig futures, or stocks, the basic mathematics of it doesn't change; just the weights of the parameters.

You might have well just said a campfire has no relation to a blast furnace. Or an integrated circuit to a Baghdad battery. Only the parameters change, not the formula or mechanics.
    Parameters are quite important. Both beggar at New York street and billionaire gets dollars and spend them for living, yet their life and influence on environment are not comparable. Same basic formula, different parameters. It's considered stupid to compare apples and oranges but they are both fruits - same formula, different parameters.
    Last edited by Atis; 02-12-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Atis So there's no comparison between the player flush in cash and the player not flush in cash, trying to get access to the same marketplace?

What is the point of denying that economics informs gameplay?

I don't get it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask the one denying it, not me.

What's a point of denying that not exactly real-life like economics informs gameplay?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just going to throw in my two cents here...

I've made millions selling regular items that people want, and need, and a good price. If you have slow sales, you're selling something in a bloated market, that is too expensive, or is too niche. Just try different things, lower prices ( and if it's too low to make a profit, then just swap markets) -- play around with it. THere's a lot to be made.
    ~Lycanthropomorphic Bull Sage~

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Game Economies are always fun to look at as a mathematics problem (for me, i like the math). I have a couple of degrees, one dealt with a lot of math modeling and game theory. While smaller, Game economics will follow many rules of supply demand, but in the end they aren't real economies and real world dynamics are hard to mirror. In the real world each person has little effect on the economy, in a small game like Project Gorgon, even one person can affect things greatly. A group can absolutely control some aspects of the economy. I've owned gaming stores for 30 years. The mindset of players is the real driving force. Makes for very interesting economics.

With the steam release, we have a large influx of players. Suddenly low level stuff in the market will start selling. Stuff that sat dead and rarely moved will start selling as new people gain money and need things like fire dust, saltpeter, trade skill supplies, food stuffs etc.

Older players are coming back to the game. They may have significant amounts of money. If someone with half a million councils decides to buy up all the metal or cotton your see a much higher demand for these items. I haven't seen cotton in the market for days. Never see low end metal. Gems are hard to find at 200 and some people selling for 400.

I know this is an old thread, but with all the changes to the economic landscape, it was fun to go back and read about the problems when the population was going down, and compare that to today.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mikhaila That's why I was mentioning local markets like farmer's markets, or a specific market like Pike's Place in Seattle. In a smaller market you get alot of the same effects like in games.

But as to a single person affecting the price in the real world, well... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner...n_cocoa_market

Thread Footer