Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thread: The Zerg
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    My current plan is to basically use EQ2's system: hunting groups have a max of 6 people, monsters become "loot-locked" (and XP-locked) to the first person or group that attacks them, and a little icon shows that the monster is locked.
    I remember when there was a bug that caused elite mobs to become loot locked for the first group, it caused a lot of drama in the game. Maybe we could be discouraged in other ways?

The 29-30 person lab run we had the other weekend was silly. The lag was terrible, getting sub 5fps for most of the dungeon, this slowed the run down and reduced the amount of loot I could get. Earlier this week I did lab with a group of 7, it was nice and we finished the entire dungeon without any issues. Mad loot!

So my feed back is, if there are too many players in a dungeon, turn on an appropriate level of the foul air debuff to discourage the larger groups. Or a new debuff that slows everything down and lowers combat xp% making the zerg not profitable.
    Last edited by Easylivin; 02-12-2017 at 06:01 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instances ruined EQ, I hated not having random people in zones that you help. The only *good* was in WoW with the dungeon generator so you could join with other random people.

Training and griefing? Not seen it yet but we have had a big influx laterly so maybe a problem at lower levels.

As much as I hate suggesting it, it would be a benefit to the game to reduce or remove xp for higher levels in lowbie dungeons. At the moment I can gain more xp in low dungeons mass slaughtering mobs which hampers lowbies getting xp

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
    As much as I hate suggesting it, it would be a benefit to the game to reduce or remove xp for higher levels in lowbie dungeons. At the moment I can gain more xp in low dungeons mass slaughtering mobs which hampers lowbies getting xp
    You get the same (actually more) xp if you tank for lowbies in the dungeon, so there's that. And when you're just grinding, having a lowbie to 'protect' gives you sort of a quest to do ^-^

As long as they don't bite off more than they can chew. But I'm sure we've all run into those.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    You get the same (actually more) xp if you tank for lowbies in the dungeon,
    Is this true? Seems like if you have higher dps you'd be able to farm more mobs faster if you are killing them yourself.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cratoh View Post
    Make dungeons autolevel overleveled characters.
    This would then not allow people the challenge of trying to run a dungeon with fewer than the recommended number of people in their group. There's still quite a bit of entertainment to be had trying to solo or duo a tough boss, even if you outlevel the dungeon in general.

I also don't think there's anything particularly wrong with a high level character coming in to rescue lower level characters from a boss curse.

The ability to scale down a character's level as needed for grouping actually sounds great to me - I just think that should be the player's choice and not done automatically. (And I imagine a scaling system like this would be a small nightmare to code, so it's not too likely to happen. It would be fun, though. )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having mulled it over for a few days, the best solution I can think of is basically to utilise ideas from EQ2

1. If a character is using a skill more than 15 levels over the intended dungeon level, make it no loot. This would stop people powerleveling their own secondary new skill in dungeons, but allow them to level low skills in tandem.

2. Have a few contested dungeons, like we already do, but also add some instances. Both small instances in the existing contested dungeons, and also a few extra instanced dungeons in the world. This would spread players out. It's almost certainly gong to be needed as time goes by anyway as with 100 people ondaily in the level 60 - 70 range, all at peak time for example, the caves in Gazluk are going to be very unpleasant, plus depopulated and something like labs in going to be thrashed.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    Is this true? Seems like if you have higher dps you'd be able to farm more mobs faster if you are killing them yourself.
    Yourself? That's not how xp works in groups. More DPS means more mobs - and groups share xp, they don't split it. At least, that's how it has been. Citan had the xp to encourage grouping, not discourage it.

When you're in a group, you stop 'stealing' the xp in a kill.

Quote Originally Posted by cratoh View Post
    1. If a character is using a skill more than 15 levels over the intended dungeon level, make it no loot. This would stop people powerleveling their own secondary new skill in dungeons, but allow them to level low skills in tandem.
    That would ruin crafting. And side-leveling skills.
    Last edited by Crissa; 02-14-2017 at 01:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
    Instances ruined EQ, I hated not having random people in zones that you help. The only *good* was in WoW with the dungeon generator so you could join with other random people.

Training and griefing? Not seen it yet but we have had a big influx laterly so maybe a problem at lower levels.

I disagree with this, sorry. Instances, alongside contested, provided content for people with all sorts of different desires of playstyle. Some people liked to go to contested (which were huge) and do that, but they also liked to go and pit themselves in a small controlled group against instanced content as well. There were random people in contested, and open world.

Another thing to remember - not everyone wants to be helped. It can be incredibly annoying when in a group of at level people and some high level white knight comes charging past and either buffs, or kills mobs or somehow interracts with said group without being asked, ad unbalances the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    This would then not allow people the challenge of trying to run a dungeon with fewer than the recommended number of people in their group. There's still quite a bit of entertainment to be had trying to solo or duo a tough boss, even if you outlevel the dungeon in general.

I also don't think there's anything particularly wrong with a high level character coming in to rescue lower level characters from a boss curse.

The ability to scale down a character's level as needed for grouping actually sounds great to me - I just think that should be the player's choice and not done automatically. (And I imagine a scaling system like this would be a small nightmare to code, so it's not too likely to happen. It would be fun, though. )
    It absolutely would allow people to try running a dungeon with fewer than the recommended number - just at level - where the gear you are wearing would effect it rather than the level? Maybe.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    groups share xp, they don't split it.
    I'm not sure i understand the distinction between sharing and splitting. Are you saying that everyone receives the full xp from a mob that they would have if no one else had been there?

Thread Footer