Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still on the fence

as the title says im still on the fence on getting the game after playing "and still playing" the demo so i was curious on a few things. like the necromancer class is what got me into trying the game..i'm a huge fan of this class and saw you have to do a dun to get the skill set started so i was curious how hard it is to get the class started and if its even viable i know some games some classes just arnt worth it and if its possible getting it in the demo version as trying it out would rly help tip me one way or another..i was curious on player housing also as i saw you can build tables and what not and if there isnt player housing or going to get what is the point of these items..and idk if its just the times i tend to get on or the zones im limated to due to the demo but is the population strong..ive seen maybe max of 50 people in my several hours and guess for last just the community how friendly etc is it "tho this post will most likely answer this" using WoW as a example i stopped being in guilds and even talking to people in general due to how toxic everyone has become..also curious if there is a way of knowing when a mob is out of our league i very offen tend to hit something just to run away screaming..and guess to add a little back story incase people wanna point out other things i might enjoy or dislike the only "old school" mmo i have played is the first Everquest

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Necro just got a little updating. Citan (the developer) wants all the classes to be useful. The game is in beta and balance is still being worked on.

Player housing is planned. It will be instanced housing. One of the very few things that will be instanced in the game.

The carpentry stuff you can make now can be deployed into the world and each has a feature or buff. Some help you get a rest buff, some extend the length of corresponding buffs. Crate when deployed open up storage that can be accessed any time a crate is deployed. Things that are deployed only stick around for a few minutes, but can be used by everybody nearby that uses it.

The current population numbers usually around 200 these day, given that everyone is in one world it seems lively enough. If past experience is any indication when the skills caps get lifted from 70, a large number of old players will boost the population number for a good while, probably some where around 600 or better player concurrent then.

You need to learn to do autopsy, which will build your level for a particular type of creature you can then read the stats of the creature when it is selected. Which helps get a feel for how dangerous things are. But trail and error is the only sure way to test your strength,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShieldBreaker View Post
    Necro just got a little updating. Citan (the developer) wants all the classes to be useful. The game is in beta and balance is still being worked on.

Player housing is planned. It will be instanced housing. One of the very few things that will be instanced in the game.

The carpentry stuff you can make now can be deployed into the world and each has a feature or buff. Some help you get a rest buff, some extend the length of corresponding buffs. Crate when deployed open up storage that can be accessed any time a crate is deployed. Things that are deployed only stick around for a few minutes, but can be used by everybody nearby that uses it.

The current population numbers usually around 200 these day, given that everyone is in one world it seems lively enough. If past experience is any indication when the skills caps get lifted from 70, a large number of old players will boost the population number for a good while, probably some where around 600 or better player concurrent then.

You need to learn to do autopsy, which will build your level for a particular type of creature you can then read the stats of the creature when it is selected. Which helps get a feel for how dangerous things are. But trail and error is the only sure way to test your strength,
    awesome thank you all very clear answers to everything just leaves one thing really..is it possible to learn the necro class on the demo or would the limitations make me to weak to be able to

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You would need a group to be able to complete it, but most people do when they are at a point where they want to learn it. So you can get necro as a demo player, but you will need help to manage it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDraco View Post
    awesome thank you all very clear answers to everything just leaves one thing really..is it possible to learn the necro class on the demo or would the limitations make me to weak to be able to
    I'd say yes with a few caveats.

Skill level caps are 15 in the demo, which makes it tough to get access to the more powerful Necro skills (the fun ones), and some of the basic skills don't affect undead, so you'd need a secondary skill set to use when fighting those. Mentalism or psychology are relatively easy to get early on, and are good pairs with Necro (both have skills that affect undead, and Psych can be learned on the starter island.)

the more powerful summons are too high to use in the demo.

In order to unlock Necro, you need to go to a "group" area. it's solo-able at higher skill levels, but those are higher then the current cap in the demo. On the positive side, you can group up for that content to unlock the skill set.

That being said, Necro seems to be a very popular skill in the game, if the conversations in chat are representative, and many players cap the skill set as one of their first, so it's either very popular, or very doable. Either way, it speaks well of the skillset in general, and I know they have plans on continuing to improve the skillset. see the most recent thread on the most recent update for a discussion on it.

Honestly, if you like the way the game is set up and how it plays, it's probably worth it even if you don't end up liking the necromancer (though it seems people do allot). and those are things you can definitely learn from the demo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Necromancy is like a big mac...fun, flavorful, but not particularly good. I would go so far as to say it's probably the poorest performing of the "magic" skills. You need a strong primary skill to supplement it. Most of the abilities aren't spectacular unless focus-modded (focus many of your mods on it.) That said, it IS very good at supporting ice magic or bard or fire magic or any of the other magic skills except maybe psychology (also a supporting skill.) The root and fear are solid, skeletal warriors (modded) are pretty good, zombie is getting there, and the heart and spleen skills are just cool. None of them are "go-to" skills, though. Just keep in mind that a significant percentage of the critters you fight on the way up will be unharmed by darkness damage (undead,) so have a plan for that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can definitely find someone to help you unlock necromancy. The demo chat is open to players that purchased the game so you might want to ask if anyone will run you through necromancy when you're on - people are usually willing to help and don't ask for anything in return. The population usually runs around 200 as mentioned and though that may seem small it often feels well populated.

As for how friendly the community is - this is one of the best MMO communities I've played with. People are generally very helpful and here to have fun. There are player hosted events like poetry readings, Matzur's trivia, hide and seek (less common these days), and yesterday I saw people putting on a race. You really get to know each other. It's a PVE focused sandbox so there's little reason to be competitive or hostile. There will always be a few bad eggs, but they're certainly in the minority in PG.

As a demo player you're only seeing a small slice of the game - as far as content you really get your moneys worth already and there's still a lot planned. That being said I would pick up a few crafting skills, try some different combat skills, and see if you're still itching for more.

Money and inventory management are big aspects of this game and I personally really like that. Figuring out what's useful, what will sell, who to earn favor with. Each npc having their own unique personality and favor requirements is a big sell for me, I appreciate the world building. And then skills like poetry appreciation, dance, and music really push players to get together while the non-instanced dungeons encourage you to work together. I've been playing for a couple years now and still have things to try/do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait what? The whole reason I came to this game is because character classes aren't a thing. Is this just a shorthand for having particular skills, or am I going to get locked into something later on?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corax View Post
    Wait what? The whole reason I came to this game is because character classes aren't a thing. Is this just a shorthand for having particular skills, or am I going to get locked into something later on?
    I don't think you have to worry about getting locked into something. You can mix and match, level up everything (all the skills). There are choices that you can't undo, like if you become a werewolf (must complete a quest to become one) you are always a werewolf. The same is true for Druid, once a druid always a druid. But you can be a fire/ice mage or a hammer/shield warrior as either, you don't have to use the natural abilities.

You can build the skills the way you want, focus on one damage type or use abilities that cause as many different damage types as the skill allows. All offense or all defense or a mix of both. Wide range of options that you can jump between whenever you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have to choose a whole skill class for one set of six skills, primary and secondary. Yes I can mix and match those broad classes, but I only get six at best from a given skill class, and I only get 18 skills total out of everything I have. When I played World of Warcraft, even though it has a class system, I had literally dozens of buttons with keybinds I could use to do things. I tried Guild Wars 2 and it drove me mad with its skill bars based arbitrarily on equipped weapon and limited choices of utilities.

In Project Gorgon, especially now that I have more skills than will fit in my skillbars, it feels like I am playing with my fingers tied together. I don't go out my front door in real life with only part of my real-life skills, I don't want to be artificially limited in the game that way. Skill use is already limited in real time by character power and equipped gear* anyhow; anything else is a blatantly artificial imposition that ruins immersion for me.

* I've noted that I can't swap equipped gear at all in combat, not even weapons. I think I should be able to change weapons, but that it should take time to do so. Most broadly, I would be able to change anything with time to do so depending on how it's held/worn, but you know, doffing armor while being pounded by a tiger is probably not an act conducive to survival. :-)

Anyhow, like the OP I am very much on the fence, but for different reasons, and this is probably the biggest one.

Thread Footer