Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about server/zone architecture

I'm not sure if I phrased it correctly in the title, but I was curious about something:

I noticed that the lag in Serbule is similar to some degree in the Carpal Tunnels dungeon (which is Serbule-adjacent.) The charged pigs, slimes, and snails move in the same herky-jerky manner as people in Serb, even though I'm the only person there. I also noticed that Kleave's money didn't reset for me when I zoned from Elt to goblin dungeon back to Elt, but did reset for me when I zoned from Elt to Serb to Elt, seeming to indicate some kind of program link between the goblin dungeon map and the merchants of Eltibule.

I was curious how the zones are set up in terms of shared resources. Are all the dungeons attached to a zone sharing that zone's 'server mojo?'

I have very little experience with programming and such, but I was wondering about the nature of these shared resources. If the Crypt, the Carpal Tunnels, and the Sewers (two very popular dungeons, and one dungeon with tons of monsters that have visual spell effects) are all drawing from the same server resource pool as Serb proper...is there a way to de-link them to lighten the load on Serb?

No idea if there is any truth to this, or if my noodle is just making connections out of coincidences.
    Last edited by Leodane; 05-17-2018 at 05:34 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shop-keeper money resets on a weekly basis separately for each player.

@ShieldBreaker That too!
    Last edited by Crissa; 05-17-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another thought on the money, did you happen to give gifts to Kleave, or complete a hangout or favor? If you raised the favor level with Kleave between times you check the cash pool, that would have caused you to have access to her larger cash pool which would seem like a reset.

Otherwise it would be replenished like Crissa said in a week of your first sale.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Kleave at soul mates for over a week - she was one of the first, as skinning is easy. I was logged in, waiting for her to reset so I could sell my trophies and rolls for the 60k she offers. When the time came, her timer actually became a negative value and her money did not reset when it should have. I tried going into goblins - no reset. I tried logging out and logging back in - no reset. I then tried goblins again - still no reset. Only going to Serbule and coming back caused the reset.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >I was curious how the zones are set up in terms of shared resources. Are all the dungeons attached to a zone sharing that zone's 'server mojo?'

You can fly between dungeons so they seem connected in some way
    Last edited by Quanzhigao; 05-18-2018 at 06:17 PM.

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    In terms of server performance they aren't connected. Each time you see the loading screen, you're moving to a different server area. The outdoor zones all have their own "areas". Some dungeons share an area (like, say, the two goblin dungeons, or the Serbule crypt and Serbule Sewers), and if a dungeon in a shared area gets too busy we can break it out to a new area (like we did for Gazluk Keep), but that's not what's happening right now.

There are performance problems with monster AI, which I think I made worse in the most recent update. So anywhere there's a lot of players fighting is going to be sluggish. The next update has fixes -- and I was hoping it'd be ready for this weekend, but it didn't happen, so I'm going to shoot for the middle of next week. (In other words, in time for NEXT weekend, but with some extra time to test, and fix bugs, and sleep some).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leodane View Post
    I've had Kleave at soul mates for over a week - she was one of the first, as skinning is easy. I was logged in, waiting for her to reset so I could sell my trophies and rolls for the 60k she offers. When the time came, her timer actually became a negative value and her money did not reset when it should have. I tried going into goblins - no reset. I tried logging out and logging back in - no reset. I then tried goblins again - still no reset. Only going to Serbule and coming back caused the reset.
    I don't think it was going to Serbule and coming back, it was just time. This happens now and then to people, and a short time later the vendor updates.

Thread Footer