Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to touch on the 'Third Party Accelerator' issue. This can be caused by a couple of things, but it is likely the after effects of a previous fix to an issue where the animation would fail but still start the skills cool down. It could also be a lag issue, related to your specific connection to the server. Another specific workaround, if you have an AMD system, is to ensure that AMD Overdrive is not enabled in your BIOS and that it's not active via their software. You'll also want to disable CPU Clock Speed Up in the BIOS, if that's present.

That said, if you can submit very detailed reports of what you were doing when it happened - including what skill you used, current fps, current ping, etc. - that would be fantastic. Please use the in game reporting tool to do so.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvonis View Post
    I just wanted to touch on the 'Third Party Accelerator' issue. This can be caused by a couple things, but is a likely the after effects of a previous fix to an issue where the animation would fail but still start the skills cool down. It could also be a lag issue, related to your specific connection to the server. Another specific workaround, if you have an AMD system, is to ensure that AMD Overdrive is not enabled in your BIOS and that it's not active via their software. You'll also want to disable CPU Clock Speed Up in the BIOS, if that's present.

That said, if you can submit very detailed reports of what you were doing when it happened - including what skill you used, current fps, current ping, etc. - that would be fantastic. Please use the in game reporting tool to do so.

Thanks.
    Thanks for the response Silvonis. I sent in a bug report through game (I apologize in advance for its length) and hopefully it helps. I spent a while testing out some more skills so I could collect some very obvious proof of the bug in action.

It ends up that the client is 1% faster than it should be, so I was off with my original approximation. I figured it out by sitting around waiting for a one hour cooldown just so I could record myself using it 36 seconds too early. Also staring at recorded footage so I could see the millisecond I could use abilities, rather than relying on the in game timer since that only shows seconds (Hence why my estimate was 1/60th rather than 1/100th)
    https://webmshare.com/play/qv8gQ

Not the most exciting thing to do, but now I feel like I understand everything about the bug. Everything except why it's actually there.
    Last edited by Yaffy; 04-08-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had this happen a ton of times and it definitely has to do with ping to the server. I play from China and when i use my vpn ping goes up to 500 to 1400 at times. When I do not it stays around the 250s to 300s. So i get it was more often when my ping is higher.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ages later, I finally got to try this: I used Familiar's Recall which is possibly not the best test since it involves zoning. I hit a stop watch at roughly the same time I used the ability. The zoning took about 9 seconds.

The ability came off cooldown when my stopwatch said 29:44 minutes had elapsed, which matched the approximately 16 seconds remaining on my cooldown counter. (This is approximate because I'm apparently not good at triple-tasking hitting ability + hitting stopwatch + watching timer. It should all be within a couple seconds though. Throughout the test, it seemed my stopwatch was a second or a bit less faster than the cooldown counter.)

My ping throughout should have been in the low 40s. My framerate varied from 30 - 45 fps. (I just sat and stared at Cinnamon, but at some point I moved a bit closer to him to avoid the afk timeout and that closer position apparently drops my fps by 10.)

Edit: So, I just logged back into the game to actually submit this as an in-game bug report, and when I logged back in, Familiar's Recall was up even though I'm 95% sure less than 30 minutes had elapsed. I want to say it was 10-20 minutes. I may try re-testing this sometime.
    Last edited by Tagamogi; 04-17-2019 at 09:28 PM.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #15
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    (Edited to fix a duplicate posting, then a bit more detail)

I think for most people, these errors are due to network synchronization issues -- the first two are due to ordinary network lag that happens in in a very particular form. The third is a more complex timing issue. Anyway, I need some fancier heuristics to prevent those false-positives, and those will happen over time. But I do think the first priority is to prevent those errors from putting the ability on cooldown.

For the next update I've changed the error code to resync the client's timer (and refresh the Power meter, since the client would temporarily think the Power cost was still spent). There actually was code to do this already for most errors, but it was buggy -- it only worked for the first tier of each ability (e.g. it would work on Punch 1 but not Punch 2). Should work better soon!
    Last edited by Citan; 04-17-2019 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    Some Good Shit
    I really appreciate all of your hard work! Can't wait for this next update, even if its coming after the full moon :P

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    (Edited to fix a duplicate posting, then a bit more detail)

I think for most people, these errors are due to network synchronization issues -- the first two are due to ordinary network lag that happens in in a very particular form. The third is a more complex timing issue. Anyway, I need some fancier heuristics to prevent those false-positives, and those will happen over time. But I do think the first priority is to prevent those errors from putting the ability on cooldown.

For the next update I've changed the error code to resync the client's timer (and refresh the Power meter, since the client would temporarily think the Power cost was still spent). There actually was code to do this already for most errors, but it was buggy -- it only worked for the first tier of each ability (e.g. it would work on Punch 1 but not Punch 2). Should work better soon!
    Thanks for the help looking into this Citan. I hope my rambling was at least minimally useful.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks Citan!!!

Thread Footer