Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuttering/Choppiness

This isn't a rant but a cry for help, I guess.

I haven't seen any discussion on this, just a few off hand remarks in game, about navigating after the mar 25 update. In guild channel, a few pple have mentioned about town being almost un-navigable.

Previous to that I had been trying to address some annoying, once-a-second brief pauses. Anecdotal posts on the web said it was a common, albeit rare persistent problem some people had with Unity. After the mar 25, I could hardly navigate anywhere, and towns where people are (ie, Serbule, constantly) become teeth grinding visits. I literally can not turn around rapidly without incurring a full second long stall, after which I'm facing a random direction. If I was moving while turning, I might be 10 feet from where the pause started, again in a random direction.

Subsequent patches got a _little_ better, and I've since upgraded to an RX 480 which is a little better still. However, the same stalls & choppiness can still be had anywhere. Between the nvidia & radeon I did a complete reinstall of the game, though there's really little to screw up in that regard.

I have, of course, tried every level of graphic quality & fiddled extensively with the additional graphic options. None seem to reduce the choppiness or really raise my fps.

Interestingly, while this stuttering is going on, the fps shown doesn't go down. It didn't with my nvidia gtx660 ti and it doesn't now with the radeon rx 480. Otherwise my machine, while older, isn't being taxed. (i7-920, 80% idle, and no one core at more than 40% usage. 24 gb ram, ssd as system drive and which the game is also installed on.) I'm tempted to install the game in a ram drive & see if the stalls get shorter, then at least I'll be clearer that it's some kind of I/O interrupting things.

There is really no reason at all for this to be happening. Are others seeing this as well and just not talking about it?

edit: playing from a ram drive has again sorta reduced the choppiness, but there are still frequent complete stalls while the game does..... something, then resumes smooth operation. I guess the next experiment is on a fresh install of windows.
    Last edited by Unruly; 04-08-2017 at 05:34 PM.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what could be causing that. All the usual causes would visibly reduce the displayed FPS.

First guess is that the game is being interrupted a lot by some other program that's running, like a video-capture app or something. Hm, have you tried disabling your run-time virus protection to see if that affects performance?

(Edit: and just to be sure -- make sure the "auto-adjust performance" checkbox is disabled in the options. Although if that was the cause you should see a bobble in the FPS display.)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem along with crashes. I have sent you an older crash report but it happens with higher frequency after the hotfix (the one the I understand fixed the crashes for most). Whatever Unruly describes that's exactly my experience, stuttering, jerky movements and random camera rotation, it takes me few attempts to get out of a store.

Atm my graphics are set to "fastest" and the auto adjust is not enabled.

edit - my graphic driver updated today and when I tried to log in PG the client crashed again. I don't use fraps or any capture thing atm and PG is set as exception for my av protection (I don't use Avast, Norton or anything that conflicts with Unity afaik)

Unity Player [version: Unity 5.5.2p2_03f34082a9c0]

d3d11.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module d3d11.dll at 0023:65fbee4e.

Error occurred at 2017-04-08_232912.
    C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\ProjectGorgon\WindowsP layer\WindowsPlayer.exe, run by ......
    37% memory in use.
    0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
    0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
    0 MB user address space [2998 MB free].
    Read from location 00000031 caused an access violation.

Context:
    EDI: 0x03e816c8 ESI: 0x0000000f EAX: 0x00000000
    EBX: 0x00000002 ECX: 0x06e411e8 EDX: 0x00000000
    EIP: 0x65fbee4e EBP: 0x08a8ebb4 SegCs: 0x00000023
    EFlags: 0x00010206 ESP: 0x08a8ebac SegSs: 0x0000002b
    Last edited by Khaylara; 04-08-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    > and random camera rotation

I did say random, but I feel I know what's causing that: the game stalls, during which time my mouse/cursor button indicates turning. When the game comes back and notices the turning input, it thinks zero (or very little) time has gone by so that means really fast turning. The duration of the stall & degree to which I moved means the results are all different. Not truly random, but not reliably similar either.

I'm just guessing, but it seems like the stalls happen when the game is fetching new info on the environment. In town, that's often players & their stuff, which is why I hoped the ram disk would make a difference. It didn't, and I'm at a loss. My graphics card is 8gb, I just wish it would load the entire set of resources for each zone once and be done with it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the stuttering and choppiness along with the random turn rotations. The random turn rotations is REALLY BAD in south serbule for me. Its awful there. I don't know what does it but its really bad. I get the stuttering and chopiness in the larger cities too like Serbule but not so much of the random camera turning. Its been like this for me for quite a while now. It isn't due to a recent patch I don't think. For example, ever since south serbule was implemented, i've had impossible camera turning and stuttering.

My computer is insanely powerful too. I have LGA115 4.0 Processor, 16 gigs ddr4 ram, GTX1070 graphics card and i play this game on maximum settings.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Unruly - prior to the April 1 update, the game did in fact load every asset it could need when you entered each zone. And with an 8gb video card you wouldn't have needed to even swap assets. After the April 1 update, it loads-on-demand for some resources, but slowdowns due to loading would definitely be visible in the FPS display. (And a little hourglass would appear in the top right for a split second -- near where the "sprinting" and "in combat" icons are.) What FPS do you get when it ISN'T locking up?

The FPS display not hiccuping is a big clue because it rules out a lot of causes. Hm, it could be caused by constant exceptions in the client's main thread, maybe -- can you grab the output_log.txt from your installation and email it to eric@projectgorgon.com? It might have a clue. (It'll be in a subfolder of wherever the game has been downloaded to -- but NOT the patcher's output_log.txt, that's just for the patcher program.)

@Khaylara - hm, that bit of crash info doesn't give me any clues, except that it's not an out-of-memory problem. May be a driver bug. If you get a crash folder afterwards, please email the files (especially the output_log.txt) to me!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sent today's folder. The crashes happen mostly teleporting to Gazluk and teleporting out of Gaz Keep.

The rest (stuttering, camera rotation thing) is pretty much everywhere but more noticeable in serb and in dungeons.

(I have a semi-crappy computer but it's able to run games like Black Desert in terms of graphics and resources)

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Let me rein the problem in a little here: there are lots of known performance problems! But most are caused by problems with the assets or the level design -- there's too many visible monsters around the lake in south serbule, for instance. Those will get fixed in time. Even I get framerate spikes when turning in Serbule and South Serbule (more often at high graphics settings than low). But my FPS display bobbles when that happens, at least a little bit.

The reason I jumped in here was because it sounded like it might be something else -- if the FPS display is showing a steady, decent (>20fps) rate, despite noticeable framerate hiccups happening constantly, that's probably not due to the usual causes.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Khaylara - crashes related to Gazluk Keep seem to be due to something else, which I'm still trying to debug. Unfortunately, I've seen other peoples' crash logs for that one, and there's no clues in there. I'll have to add more debugging info in the next snapshot to try to catch what's going on.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Khaylara - actually, I just looked at your crash log, thanks! Can you try something for me: ... actually, I'll just reply in email, because I think it's unrelated to the problem Unruly is having, and I don't want to derail it too much in here.

Thread Footer