Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following the many suggestions for a grid layout in gardening, I've created a mockup to demonstrate the idea

https://jsfiddle.net/6yexyfqu/27/

uses this fomula

Code:
    var snapInt2Grid = function(/*number*/ int, /*number*/ gridSize) {
    	var remainder = int % gridSize;
            return int - remainder;
    }

A nice thing about a modulo (%) based formula, is that you don't have to do distance checking between plants. Since all plants are snapped to the same grid, you just check to see if an entity is in the exact same spot that you are about to place the plant.

Though considering how the engine works, doing distance detection for entities in a certain radius might be easier to implement than looping through an array of entities manually.
    Last edited by ShubiMaja; 02-23-2017 at 04:44 PM.
    The Cows Are Always Watching.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a way we can give community points without opening the system to abuse is to flag trashed items so that they will never give points for trashing them again

Maybe trashed items can be modified to give -1 or -2 hygiene and have their name changed to "recycled". Just for fun, maybe recycling items can have a random chance to give an item some kind of bonus. So that people will actually trash items on a regular basis instead of dumping them on the ground.

To prevent dumping things, I think that people should lose a hygiene point when they dump items instead of trashing them. Additionally, elves might reduce your favor by done if you drop things on the ground in front of them (though maybe thats taking it too far)

In summary, Dumping something in the trash recycles an item. Recycling an item would transform an item permanently giving it some debuff such as (-1-2 hygiene as well as possibly reduce the items value) and grant the recycler 1 civic point.

This should add some interesting aspect as well as keep the floors clean, preserve items, and discourage abusing the system for points.
    Last edited by ShubiMaja; 02-23-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShubiMaja View Post
    Here's a better question: What's to stop someone from putting the same item in and taking it out over and over in order to farm points? That's the point I'm trying to make. We need to think of a practical way to balance it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    Oh, that's a good idea. Some people also suggested a municipal bonus based upon unique items, too. But making it equivalent to washing your hands would make it cool, too.
    I'm not sure, but my reading of 'unique' is that you would only get the points once from each unique item.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    I'm not sure, but my reading of 'unique' is that you would only get the points once from each unique item.
    At the time I didn't have any perception of how to achieve this without creating a database for each user of all items they put in the trash which seemed technically impractical, so I did not consider detecing unique items to be a possibility. However, once I considered the idea that each item can be tagged with metadata that is modified when the item is trashed for the first time, it seems practical.
    Last edited by ShubiMaja; 02-25-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for instance, maybe you can only get a few points a day. Or every object only gives points once. Or the trash fills up and only gives out so many points. There's so many different ways to do it I couldn't possibly describe them all.

I really, really dislike posts that shit-can ideas, especially when I can think of three ways to do it off the top of my head. There might be reasons those ideas aren't practical - but shit-canning people's ideas is both unfriendly, unhelpful, and makes for a negative experience for others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    Well, for instance, maybe you can only get a few points a day. Or every object only gives points once. Or the trash fills up and only gives out so many points. There's so many different ways to do it I couldn't possibly describe them all.

I really, really dislike posts that shit-can ideas, especially when I can think of three ways to do it off the top of my head. There might be reasons those ideas aren't practical - but shit-canning people's ideas is both unfriendly, unhelpful, and makes for a negative experience for others.
    While my one post was in fact poorly expressed and seemingly ignorant of the post it was replying to, you can see from my many other posts, I am definitely not against this idea when it is implemented for unique items. I'm sorry you had the impression that I was "shit-canning" the idea of others. I have gone back and edited the post in question so that it is clear that, this is not my intention.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShubiMaja View Post
    I'm sorry you had the impression that I was "shit-canning" the idea of others. I have gone back and edited the post in question so that it is clear that, this is not my intention.
    Thanks for apologizing; it wasn't really needed - I was perhaps a bit more abrasive than I needed to be. We can try to do better in the future!

Thread Footer