Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malice00 View Post
    Agreed, Amethyst for 300 is unreal, but I am up to 12 mining them. So far I have never seen anyone selling gems at the well. I will be more observant to that and try selling myself. Between cooking, carpentry and surveying money and supplies have been tough to manage, but thanks for advice.

So my next issue then is scrolls for recipes.
    To start, use the crafts that you have to bootstrap yourself into favor with the various NPCs around Serbule and Eltibule.
    Cooking is pretty good in Serbule. At least two NPCs who buy weapons will also accept foods for favor.
    Carpentry is very useful for the longer term as you can eventually make staffs, which are easy weapons to craft and enchant and then you can meet requirements for "Likes 'x' equipment" favor.
    Even though you don't mention it as as a craft, Skinning is an awesome money-maker. The skinner in Eltibule accepts hides as favor, which is a really easy way to be able to unlock soul mates with them.
    Visit Sun Vale (you didn't mention it in your list of zones). There's two settlements there, plus another single vendor a lot of people like, plus a special area for special players. It's a lot easier to manage than Kur.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran into someone on the trade channel unwilling to name a price, buying lapis x-x I've usually ended up vendoring lapis, but I had a dozen, so... But it wasn't worth the effort to argue with them.

What's with that?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly don't recommend selling gems at all, to players included. Amethysts, maybe a case could be made. It's short term money. If you plan on being around and doing a lot in game, use the gems to raise craft skills. The items you can make will sell to a greater array of vendors, plus you can get in on work orders as well. And you can also transmute the items and use towards raising your aug skills.

I've never sold a single gem to either a player or vendor, and I've done pretty well money-wise. Your own preferences may lead you elsewhere, but just thought I would chime in with what worked for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surveying is considered base. Something easy to start off with. Entry-level trade skill.

While some may make the case for other trades, surveying is by and large one of the easiest. Why is this? New players don't really have the lay of the land, surveying helps with this. Its not only about tracking down gems or slabs, (which level three skills: Surveying / Geology / Mining), its also about making your way across the map. This teaches new players:
    - About mobs in that area
    - Using their map
    - Using their crafting tab
    - Its a motivation boost to have so many things level up, levelling makes the player feel good, not to mention your inventory gets filled with lots of new exciting things.

Surveying, being entry level, means that only so much of a profit can be made. Being objective, you're completely reliant on other players if you want to make money. This isn't a good thing. Much like a river, what people buy changes over the course of time. This isn't all bad though, the other MAJOR element of surveying is: FAVOR. Quite a lot of NPCs have favourite gems or like slabs. Surveying helps new players with favor! There are a lot of ways to make money, surveying is really just a start though, not the be all and end all.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have gems stashed away for when the need is there in the community.

TL;DR

+ Don't expect to make lots of money from surveying
    + It has far more applications than simply money
    - When you wanted a lot of Gene Wilder gifs, (Wonka.. obvs), but instead have to attend a funeral for the signature section. Rest in RIP, RIP in Piece o'ever-lasting cake. -

(Pssst . . . https://media.giphy.com/media/5ZYlp0bF7qMBa/giphy.gif . . . You're welcome . . .)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, I always made lots of money from surveying. And that was before players were paying hundreds for gems!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wemedge View Post
    I honestly don't recommend selling gems at all, to players included. Amethysts, maybe a case could be made. It's short term money. If you plan on being around and doing a lot in game, use the gems to raise craft skills. The items you can make will sell to a greater array of vendors, plus you can get in on work orders as well. And you can also transmute the items and use towards raising your aug skills.

I've never sold a single gem to either a player or vendor, and I've done pretty well money-wise. Your own preferences may lead you elsewhere, but just thought I would chime in with what worked for me.
    How were you initially making money to learn the more profitable craft skills and their recipes? You are correct that gems make more money when used as part of other craft skills, but leveling those skills requires money from somewhere.

I always thought of selling gems as a pretty reasonable way to raise temporary cash when starting out. Sure, you'll want more gems later, but the odds are fairly good you'll be able to buy them from other players for a similar price then. Or you can just do some more surveys yourself and get gems. In my mind, they are not an ultra-rare must-hoard item like stomachs...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    Or you can just do some more surveys yourself and get gems. In my mind, they are not an ultra-rare must-hoard item like stomachs...
    Me too. I only kept Obsidian and a few of the basics so I could start another set of surveys.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How were you initially making money to learn the more profitable craft skills and their recipes? You are correct that gems make more money when used as part of other craft skills, but leveling those skills requires money from somewhere.

I always thought of selling gems as a pretty reasonable way to raise temporary cash when starting out. Sure, you'll want more gems later, but the odds are fairly good you'll be able to buy them from other players for a similar price then. Or you can just do some more surveys yourself and get gems. In my mind, they are not an ultra-rare must-hoard item like stomachs...
    I was broke non-stop my first month or so. I was raising all of the trade skills at once, so every penny I made went into buying more skills, getting favor, etc.. But work orders came out a few weeks after I started, and I would sell tanned skins to a few vendors, along with cooking and alch stuff. Plus I sold gear from leveling up my combat skills, there are several vendors that buy gear in serb and elt. Then halfway through my second month I turned a corner and the gold started rolling in.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you start the game there's no real way to make money without knowledge of the systems (without knowing "which" NPCs to focus on, without knowing which early crafts/recipes are the most profitable, without knowing hidden favor gifts, etc.)

A player going in blind just dumps stuff around the map at random until they hit a couple useful breakpoints and can put what they've learned together into a cohesive plan.

I knew I needed to unlock favor with NPCs from the loading screen, but because I was avoiding reading the wiki I didn't know which ones were the most useful. So I would return to town with full bags and walk to each NPC, passing the favorite loot in my bags to each one. At the end, I'd sell the few random items no one wanted. I burned a lot on raising favor with NPCs like Sir Corth, Rita, and Blanche before I figured out they didn't give a return on that investment.

Just like Wemedge, I eventually turned a corner and had high enough trade skills and enough NPC favor to be able to sell stuff profitably. But the trip there was a huge sink of what was likely 10,0000+ councils of favor materials and recipes with almost no way to generate cash.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vendoring leather rolls is actually a great idea. I've hoarded pretty much all the skins I got because I'm used to leather being hard to find in other games and I knew I wanted to level leatherworking as soon as I could actually afford any of the recipes. I'm at 66 leatherworking now and I still have a couple leftover stacks of crude and decent skins... And I ran out of gems long ago and started buying them from other players.

It's definitely rough starting out, and not knowing which of a million items filling up your bags are useful and which are better sold. When I started, I used most of my items on favor which at least meant that I wasn't close to hitting any NPC's money cap because I had nothing left to sell. (And I don't think Sir Coth is a useless NPC to be friends with. He's 100% worth every favor item just for that unforgettable discussion about elves and snakes. In more practical terms, I still sell all my artwork and treasure-type items to him.)

Thread Footer