Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps having spawn camps randomly placed , where you kill placeholders with a chance of spawning a boss or named .. that way less developer time required .

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We kind of have these spread around the world in Serb already, named characters who are slightly higher than their surroundings.

But instead of being always there or for quests, they could spawn or path randomly?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Okay another suggestion, someone else put the seeds into my head lol

-undead family reunions (okay halloween's over but why not)-Ursula, her mum and dad could come to Serbule one night
    -james eltibule and his family could have a reunion in the central keep and kick the NPCs out while they do so. Players have to group up and send them back to their crypt.
    -Percy's dead wife could haunt the surroundings and take residence in Gretchen's farm as a ghost and drive poor Gretchen even more crazy than she already is. We'd have to help Gretchen get rid of the ghost ofc

One that is more complicated but the mechanic is kinda implemented already in Amulna-the NPCs panic before a sandstorm and take shelter. Instead of a sandstorm spawn some elite mob, NPCs start fighting it, players help and die in a very unusual way, idk i think the already existing feature has endless possibilities^^

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These are great ideas @Khaylara

I'd like to share a few additional ideas.

A few months back a few of us in Holy Order were able to play some PVP games on newbie island. This helped us see what worked and what didnt. With that research we suggested some ideas for a PVP grounds/space/NPC . I think this would be easier to sell if we could create lore for the NPC and provide a much of the information needed as possible.
    An NPC(REDACTED) to sell the pvp pots at the start would be a nice addition, as well.

King of the TP hill. NPC starts it, chess lever system. Game ends when first team gets five minutes of ownership.
    For the pvp potions, it would be nice to have it so that attacks are reduced, and people can't one hit everyone.

As for respawn points - Not quite sure if this is something that could be done, but either random respawn points, or a set position for each team that way we could prevent spawn camping. The issue is that everyone respawns at the same location which requires players to resist spawn camping and come up with a range on their own for "how far from spawn is far enough"

For gear, we have a few ideas so, I'll just start a list.
    - Different colored pvp potions. One color makes your character red, or blue, or whatever for a set amount of time, and then revert when the time is up on the potions. This enables "team colors" and makes it easier to identify who is on which team.
    - The group leader could speak to an npc and set their team to that color. This simplifies the above feature by having 1 player handle the team's color
    - A suggestion for telling the difference between teammates, have two different pvp potions, one blue, and one red. The blue would give you a blue icon above your head, and the red would give a red icon
    - Add regular white gear with no mods and the same armor values (so probably just one kind of set of armor) to a vendor as well. This could be done with the potion, the goal is to put everyone on a level playing field so everyone can enjoy pvp and it isn't just the highest level with yellow gear slaughtering everyone.
    - Set it up so that we all get level 50 gear that everyone, including the newer players could use. Same reasons as above, even playing field makes it more enjoyable.

At some point, a sort of PVP dungeon that's kind of like Under the Hand would be cool to see. We did a bit of testing there, and had loads of fun with it.
    We also created a game where the goal was to destroy the other team's mob. It was a mob with high health so it wasn't a 1 shot win situation. It took about 30 seconds to a minute of hitting the mob to win. This "game mode" suffered from the same issues as king of the TP hill above. Both were extremely fun and could benefit from their own space. Maybe this could be an arena in a "fair grounds" zone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of these ideas sound really good. I especially like the idea of world bosses, which require a very large number of players to beat (significantly more than 1 party). I've already suggested that, and some sort of "event mob" tag to certain mobs which allows everyone to loot them (more like the old loot system, but only for enemies or groups of enemies who are supposed to be fought by multiple parties). I also like the idea of random events, sort of like what Guild Wars 2 has. Those events really add to the immersion, and make you feel like you're in an actual, changing world, rather than the completely static feel that most MMOs have. Furthermore, you could give Rita and Blanche changing dialogue, based on whether the players succeeded at an event recently or not. Them always repeating the same things with absolutely no change kind of adds to the static feel, rather than the immersion for me.

Both of those things would take effort to add, but once you added support for them it should be relatively easy to just add a new event quest, or a new world boss occasionally. Besides occasionally adding a new one to keep things interesting, they should be able to basically run themselves, no GM intervention required.

As for Khaylara's ideas on the development stages, Citan and Srand, you're both professional developers with tons of experience, so I'm going to assume you know what you're doing (or at least more than me) when it comes to the development cycle, but I will say that imo making the game more interesting should really take precedent over adding new levels. Right now, to put it simply, most if not all skills are basically just a grindfest. many crafting skills are basically "click the button then sit there bored for the next half a min, but don't do something else, because you only have 20 sec left. once that time's up, rinse & repeat 100-500 times". Surveying changes it up a bit with "Travel through 3 different zones just to get the materials (at high lvls), then spend a half-hour to an hour organizing the maps, then a half hour wandering aimlessly, actively getting frustrated when things distract you because you've seen them a dozen times already". Combat skills are "For every one of them grind 10,000 mobs in x dungeon at lvl 40-50, then grind 15,000 mobs in y dungeons from 50-60. btw, if you don't do this solo, it will generally take far longer". Crafting skills could be solved with some sort of minigame, which could be a popup window or something in the actual game. If you wanted to go the easier but not as interesting route, you could just make things take far longer, but use larger quantities of ingredients and gives larger rewards per batch. Then people could set it in motion and do something else while they wait. Of course ,they wouldn't actually be playing the game then.

As for combat skills, maybe just making partying up give more exp, or making combat more skill-based, so it actually engages you. I like the idea of having large dungeons where players can meet up, and parties can switch members, but that can't really happen if most high lvl dungeons can't be soloed, and especially not if they are designed to need a full party to beat (Which means that if 1 person leaves, the entire party immediately can't do as much). As for the actual combat, it's for the most part just pressing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, s1, s2, then checking whether I need to use heals. Rage builds so quickly that it's pretty much pointless to bother with Soothe, at this point we almost always need to use our entire bar because the cooldowns were increased, Which I'm not saying is a bad idea, but means it's not like we can just use the most effective 3 skills for every individual enemy.

Of course, that still wouldn't really solve the problem. Eric's idea of things like vulnerability and taking advantage of it could be promising, but as of right now it seems like all combat skills would need a major revamp for vulnerability to actually make much of a difference in the attention needed. However, I think one of the best ways to increase the low level of attention combat requires most of the time would be to implement things like dodging and actual movement into the equation. Wanna avoid the mage's high damage aoe fire blast attack? Then just get outta the way! Wanna not get decapitated? Then just back up! Wanna take on 3 or 4 melee enemies around your lvl without dying? Then just use advanced tactical maneuvering to keep getting behind them so they can't hit you! Right now, something that really annoys me is that there's no way to avoid damage. If you run away from a melee guy at a speed 5 times faster than he can move, but he already initiated his attack, you'll still generally get hit. Mages are even worse, to the point where their fireballs will chase you 3 times as far as the maximum spell range just because you got within 50 meters of said mage.

In all honesty, despite the game still being considered in alpha, I'm guessing it's too late to implement any of the things I suggested. However, I think they would improve the game a massive amount. Of course, I'm not a developer, so I could be wrong, but I'm just pulling features that I liked in the 50+ mmos I have played, and the multiple hundreds of total games, including non-MMOs, and features I have heard other people saying are great.

EDIT: Wow, I really got off on a tangent. Sorry for derailing your thread Khaylara.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's no derailing, just detailing on what you would find fun.

I'm gonna have to repeat something though, I have no doubt Citan knows what he's doing, my development suggestions were only based on "the feel of the community" so to speak, what I noticed people complaining most often about, what seems to bore them and what seems to get them involved. I'm sure everyone noticed older players returning for the Halloween event even if this year is not a loot fest so loot/items/cash is not their main motivation. Ofc I couldn't offer a poll result with "what players want", just my thoughts on it. Even adding new skillsets, I'm looking forward to priests but these addons could be nice surprises included in updates after launch, new players would find it exciting too and the combat content stays fresh, same goes for new races imo. I so want to play a dwarf but I can wait till we have few hundred players getting to try it just my $.2.

@Easy - about the naked Anagoge PvP (lol) I still think the damage output should be lowered and maybe not the run speed? And for TvT maybe disable the possibility to attack allies (tbh I don't remember if that feature already exists or not). As for gear we could each get an agreed upon set of white gear and dye it white/blue/red, idk if we need a separate set (dev created). We should have the damage lowered though or we one-shot and it's not that fun to one-shoot:P
    Adding some PvP events would also be a nice compromise between players who would like open world PvP and the ones who like PvE only.
    Last edited by Khaylara; 11-10-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .......but what about the bunnies?
    "We few, we happy few - we band of piggies."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Chiming in here to state that the biggest, most important, and most necessary fix to the game needs to be AI improvements to all combat NPCs. Their AI needs to be much less buggy and much more interesting. This change would have a large effect on the state of the game. I would be willing to commit to testing regularly for another year if I knew this would be addressed. I already love the gearing and skill system in the game. It is the AI that makes things unbearable often.
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerwyld View Post
    .......but what about the bunnies?
    Bunnies are busy taking over the world! The bunny event would be awesome though

@Hood-pets kinda follow the same pattern as the mobs (except their stats are a lot lower) which explains the complaints about the summoner abilities

Thread Footer