Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Live events and the development stages

I wanted to give an overall feedback on the stage PG is in (my thoughts but also conversations with other players) and start a suggestions for live events thread.

From what I understand at actual release Citan aims to have everything out, level 100+, all races and skillsets ready. It's common practice in MMOs to raise the level cap post release. Idk if this interferes with his plans for development stages but my suggestion (discussed with others too) would be to rather keep these things for post-release updates. Again just a suggestion, it would be much better (in order to increase and maintain a decent playerbase) to focus on the following:
    -further fixing and balancing skillsets (especially the summoner type ones)
    -new UI working smoothly
    -improving the group content experience

Don't get these suggestions the wrong way (@Citan and the rest of the staff) your work is appreciated a lot, they are just thoughts meant to keep people playing more consistently and not have 3 weeks of playing then 4 months break (which is the case right now). Players are racing to unlock more and more skillsets (solo ventures and not everyone's cup of tea cause let's be honest only a small percentage of us enjoy "make cash, unlock, max, rinse, repeat") and group dungeon runs are not happening much so many players go on very long breaks (many of my high level game friends have 4-5 months breaks if they ever come back). Imo they need to have fun in order to play regularly.

As overall suggestion on the development stages (and touching on the frequent wipe threads) I think for release it's more important to have balanced skills even if these skills are at level 70, not 125, than to have everyone level 100 upon launch and everyone playing the same 5-6 skillsets that are actually decent to use. Very few will be willing to level necro, AH, hammer, knife etc (the underwhelming skillsets). So new players will be hit in the face with a game community already max level and playing the same "classes" which they will probably follow. There are already multiple Global chat discussions in which new players are advised not to start certain skillsets cause they're "rubbish".

Now onto the second part-live events, I have a few suggestions (which might not work from a technical point of view but I think they would up the fun factor)

-animal tournaments: for example a "pvp" event with just bunnies or deer in which players will be awarded special prizes for categories like "cuteness" "sneakiness" "best dressed" "best at playing dead" "scariest bunny". The prizes would be some cosmetic items like hats or tiny knitted tops for rabbits or even fur dyes (I wanna be a purple rabbit please)
    -country fair: this is what I wanted to do but w/o a GM present we might have the items wiped within minutes. We're planning to try using one of the rooms in Serbule Citadel and using player stalls to dispense food. It won't be as fun though as if we were to do it in an open area with free food dispensers, picnic blankets etc. If we ever do a country fair live event we could have srand keeping items from despawning and handing out cake (Yes, I've never had cake in PG so I'd like a piece too, it looks very festive)
    -actual PvP tournaments, maybe team vs team type. The GMs would manually lower our damage output to say 10% to make the fights last longer and the team rewards could be only special permanent badges (ofc you could hand item prizes too but idk if they're needed).
    -curse events-Citan did this before when everyone was turned into bats.
    -music and dance festivals-maybe an ornate harp or lute as reward for the bands, maybe a pair of dancing shoes for the attending dancers
    -survival races-a race through Gazluk or Kur, prizes being permanent campfires or a fur coat (something silly along those lines)

As I said I'm not sure how many of these are doable but if we make a lot of suggestions maybe Citan can sift through them and find a couple that are easier to organize. I have more ideas but I thought these would be enough for now, note I tried to keep the "rewards" part to fun prizes and not overwhelming, gamebreaking items.

So shoot some more suggestions, not exclusively for live events but what would be fun for you and not take a lot of actual development time (achievable stuff)

edit-I didn't read before I posted, I realize the first part might come across as "telling devs what to do" and I wanted to underline that it was not my intention. English is not my 1st language so the tone might be misinterpreted. I only posted development stages suggestions based on observing the general chats and the forum posts (many complaints about pets, necromancy, skills not being viable) and noticing the lack of dungeons runs lately, at least the high level ones.
    Last edited by Khaylara; 11-09-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the pvp events, but I don't think reducing damge output by a % would cut it, you would need a different stat balance for pvpmaybe there could be pvp gear and pve gear?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We tried before and we 1-shot each other (I agree that reducing damage that much would be exaggerated, just an example though)^^.As for PvP gear that would be ideal but I thought it would take development time to accomplish that (given that PG is not balanced for PvP). Idk, my suggestions are mostly based on "fun and involvement" rather than serious events:P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like all your suggestion and think all could work .. I really like the idea of dying our fur . LOL
    Not all animals have hats /barding/ so coloring our fur sounds out of this world totally like it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "scariest bunny"

I'm in! I am the most feared bunny in all bunnydom!
    "We few, we happy few - we band of piggies."

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    As overall suggestion on the development stages (and touching on the frequent wipe threads) I think for release it's more important to have balanced skills even if these skills are at level 70, not 125, than to have everyone level 100 upon launch and everyone playing the same 5-6 skillsets that are actually decent to use. Very few will be willing to level necro, AH, hammer, knife etc (the underwhelming skillsets). So new players will be hit in the face with a game community already max level and playing the same "classes" which they will probably follow. There are already multiple Global chat discussions in which new players are advised not to start certain skillsets cause they're "rubbish".
    I wish people would stop hating on knife. I love the skill to pieces, and I'm afraid one of these days Citan will take the complaints seriously and revise the skill to something I'll no longer enjoy. I don't read global chat much, but I did see someone there recently sagely pronouncing that knife was rubbish or something along those lines, and staff/fire was a great end game build. I dunno, I sort of feel that if people want to follow the one-line advice of a random stranger without asking why or considering what they themselves may enjoy, they may deserve what they get.

Anyway, skill quibbles aside, I largely agree with your thoughts. I think it's more important to have a fun early experience - if someone didn't enjoy the first 40 levels, they probably won't care much whether the level cap is 70 or 100. I do think the current early game experience is very fun but I'd rather see some polishing of Serbule Hills or Ilmari before new level 80 content.

Unfortunately, a lot of what attracts people to a game tends to be eye candy - I think it would really help if we had prettier character models, more character customization choices, more armor models,... And colored rabbit fur, definitely. With polka dots, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaylara View Post
    [...] many players go on very long breaks (many of my high level game friends have 4-5 months breaks if they ever come back). Imo they need to have fun in order to play regularly.
    Another side track I think, but playing a game all the time gets pretty exhausting, too. Sometimes, taking a break for a month or even five helps make the game fun and refreshing again. The trick is just that people on a break need to want to come back, rather than deciding they are done with the game for good.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just from my experience when I stop playing for half a year I usually stop playing alltogether. It's good to have breaks ofc (I have them too, not long ones but still overall I have less game time than people who started playing more recently than me) but at some point the game will be fully released and it would be optimal for the players to play regularly and stay involved simply because optional VIP subs will be a source of income to keep the server going. That's my reasoning anyway Another thing, I think it matters what one's playstyle is too, if someone farms 8 hrs daily and completes everything it can cause a burnout ecco long break or forever break.

In my opinion this game is great for casual players (meaning the opposite type to the hardcore grinder) and doing something fun for 1-2 hours daily wouldn't cause a fast burnout hence the events idea to change things up a little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the weekend events were a good touch but a random buff isn't really going to cut it in terms of making the game interesting again.

I've tried to try alt events, but I can understand that people don't really want to new characters given the game's current set-up.

Anyways, I figured I'd contribute a few ideas -

First off, random chest spawns throughout the world (i.e. 5 active chests, when one is looted another spawns somewhere else) - the loot contained within scales to the player opening, regardless of where the chest is found, and it also contains extra items - Eternal Greens, Minor Panaceas, as well as other valuable and special items - such as cosmetic items for humans, special instruments, animal items, councils, and max-enchanted gems.

Secondly, random rare spawns - same as above, except with monsters.

These would essentially make exploring more fun than grinding a static location for hours.

Then, some conditional spawns would be nice - i.e. certain deadly monsters spawn only at night, and despawn at day (if not in combat), again with special loot; likewise, some monsters may only appear during the day (other monsters appear during rain, later on, for example) - and special werewolf NPCs roam the land during the full-moon, which drop special lycanthropy items.

So that'd be a good foundation, but then I'd imagine we could do more:

Cursed Areas / Dungeons - Dying in these areas applies a curse, which cannot be removed through usual means (or by using a Minor Panacea) - you'd have to either complete a quest, or meet some sort of goal to dispel the curse.

For example, through whatever means you can access a special version of GK where the monsters are roughly 25% stronger, and drop lv80 loot that you can use at level 70. However, dying here would turn on Hardcore mode permanently until you manage to not die for 8 hours of play time.

Then, finally back on the topic of the thread -

World bosses - these spawn randomly, are large and noticeable.
    Rituals - Certain materials are required to summon a special boss - which must be collected from other bosses on a weekly cooldown. The boss can be summoned once per week ( could have a curse, and despawn if not defeated, meaning dispelling the curse would take at least a week. )

Beyond that, we've the standard array of events - X monsters invading Y location, princess X needs help from monster Y - these are all fairly generic, and I figure would actually play out a lot like the druid events.

Having lots of minor events would quickly get overwhelming in terms of development, though, but GM-controlled events sound like a good idea. Just chipping in some ideas for now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The GM spawning random bosses by surprise sounds fun^^Just summon a random boss in the middle of serbule with 100 k HP and vulnerable only to basic attacks! Like the goats *sheds a tear for Miss Chivious*

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live events are very costly for development time.

On the other hand, some of my favorite events in WoW were the silver or semi-rare events which would happen in zones with a certain summon or quest was triggered, or some weren't involved in quests at all. They just showed up, and you'd see some random NPC or boss show up and the zone would be really different for awhile as it tromped around. Those kinda of mini-events I loved, because every zone had them.

Kind of like the druid events, but less cataclysmic.

Thread Footer