Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Opt-in for reputation

For this suggestion forum, and since there is still time while the game is in alpha, I would like to suggest an (optional) in-game reputation system. By optional, I mean turned off by default, and a player would need to explicitly turn it on to acquire public reputation.

Also, I'm envisioning a system that would give positive reputation only. In no way I want people getting trolled with negative reputation, on the contrary. I'd like it made such that the worst someone can do about your reputation, is nothing at all.

Of course, if a majority of people opt-in to acquire reputation, then it can become socially unacceptable to not opt-in, so the 'optional' part could quickly become mandatory. I believe that would happen only if the system is successful, and if it does, then that's exactly what I'm looking for.

In fact, this post was prompted by recent incident in my guild, that convinced me that some level of assistance from the game would be beneficial when you have to judge players. For example when you can invite them in guild, or when you're confronted with the decision of booting them out. Guild dynamic would probably be the area of the game where reputation would have the biggest effect.

How would that work? I don't have something really solid to suggest, so I will just list some ideas. If you opt-in:

• All alts on your account would be connected, so that if you play Joe, people could tell you're Bill's alt (or vice-versa). Could extend to multiple accounts.
    • If you group with strangers, after you disband, their name could remain for a little while with some 'Like' button. Adding to someone's reputation ought to be as seamless as possible.
    • Grouping consistently with high-reputation players would increase yours.
    • Reputation should probably be something that grows slowly. If you just helped someone, there should be no way to really tell if they increased your reputation, so that you can't blame them if they don't.

A know issue with this system is the 'circle of friends' problem, when a clique of people mutually congratulate each other, trying to artificially raise their reputation as high as possible. I haven't studied this case, but I believe it's both detectable and correctable (scientists have it, they certainly can tell more).

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Positive reputations have the same problem that systems with negative reputation have: Someone with a circle of alts, accounts, or friends can game the system.

They also penalize those who play less frequently.

I'm usually for ideas, but I literally don't know how this one could be made useful; it needs really close community monitoring to find where the abuse cases are and to make sure the opacity is working.
    Last edited by Crissa; 09-16-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like this idea. I wonder if it could turn into a skill and give cosmetic abilities to players.

Grouping consistently with high-reputation players would increase yours.
    This reminds me of a show on Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8tX9zjO698

https://rateme.social/

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that was horrible and tore apart the community.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, but some method for identifying undesirable folks would be nice.

Is there a place where a rating system like this has worked?

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We'd really need to have a working example of an MMO where that was successful, so I could crib the details. If I were to code it from scratch, it'd need tremendous amounts of experimentation and tweaking to find a hard-to-exploit system that's actually useful... and I just don't have that bandwidth. The game still have lots of existing systems that need more experimentation and tweaking!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I understand that. I didn't provide a complete model, and even then the experimenting part would be necessary.

If there are no working examples in other MMO (and my experience is too limited), I will have to do some research (see what was tried, and why it fails), before I can make another suggestion, in-game this time.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I experienced that system on a private lineage 2 server (idk, maybe the official had that too but by that point I wasn't playing on the official anymore).
    How it worked
    -clicking on a character would give you the option to "rec" that person, basically a "like" button.
    -at certain amounts of recs a player name would be displayed in a different color i.e. blue for 100+ recs and yellow for 200+ recs (btw a nametag would be great in P:G, it's very hard to tell players from each other given the limited selection of clothing and character customization)
    -the recommendations would decay over time if you didn't receive new ones (that kinda made it impossible for a person to organize a "my alts like me" session) so people would have to like you consistently in order for you to maintain a good reputation.

I was guild (and alliance) leader so that feature was very useful to me as recruiter.The main purpose of reputation was PvP related though. During PvP (but especially in PK) you had a good chance to drop items, having a good reputation reduced that possibility.
    In P:G, especially when the population increases we might need a tool of this sort to help with grouping and ofc guild recruiting. We had several instances when dishonest people would join with several alts (without them saying they were the same player behind those alts) and ofc the instance that Niph is referring to. Going forward with the guilds numbers increasing and with larger guilds we will need some way to identify alts or dishonest players. @Citan-maybe just this type of rudimentary mechanic -a "like button" on name tag (and name tags ofc xD) would be good if it's not uber difficult to add. Idk what's in the new UI but an option to see at least a char's name w/o clicking on it would be really good.
    Last edited by Khaylara; 09-17-2017 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On small servers, reputation usually takes care of these things. Heck, even on WOW servers in vanilla, you knew your "neighbors", and that were 4-digit communities.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I knew an example, but if I did, they'd pay my way at GDC.

This is the holy grail in social games - a system that works and doesn't require alot of moderators.

I think one tool that did work was WoW's report+mute; that reduced the workload of mods because they could see where all the mutes and reports were synchronized, which generally meant someone was being disruptive. But even that requires a huge amount of moderation.

Didn't Blizzard recently reveal that the moderation was taking so much work in Overwatch that the game was literally being delayed by the amount of trolling?

If the biggest company has trouble with this, well, I think we should have sympathy for Citan and crew.

Thread Footer