Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Thread: Reward Tiers
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @alleryn

Amen, brother!
    "Sometimes, a good dagger is your only friend."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvonis View Post
    As for the question of whether there will be a wipe: it depends. We have said that we don’t plan on a full wipe, but we do plan to wipe certain elements. That statement also includes the caveat that our plans are subject to change. Ultimately, we will do what is best for the game and the community as a whole.
    Thanks @Silvonis, out of curiousity - I know you can't say for certain at the moment what will or won't be wiped or when, but if let's say steam launch is this December, would you be able to comment on when the information on that topic would be released? One month - two maybe beforehand?

I'm not going to chisel your response in stone, I was just wondering if it had been discussed at all.
    - When you wanted a lot of Gene Wilder gifs, (Wonka.. obvs), but instead have to attend a funeral for the signature section. Rest in RIP, RIP in Piece o'ever-lasting cake. -

(Pssst . . . https://media.giphy.com/media/5ZYlp0bF7qMBa/giphy.gif . . . You're welcome . . .)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easylivin - fyi I have several skills at 70+ and will have several more there way before steam release. The last thing I want is a skill wipe - I will QUIT altogether if this happens and I did buy the $75 package. Again, I just don't see how wiping things other than skills is doing the community/new players good. Having people skilled/geared only helps the newer players - this isn't a PvP game so why not?
    Peasant - Fire/Ice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easylivin View Post
    Sounds like you want your character wiped. Maybe for those that don't want to create a "massive advantage" for others could opt in to have their characters wiped.

@Citan can this be an option for those that are interested, like Peasant?
    Trust me, I don't want my character wiped. Just thinking about all the work I'd have to do over makes me shudder. But a wipe would probably bring in more players and potentially more money to the game which could only help with future development.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind a full wipe. Sure it would be a lot to do over again (well i've only been playing 2 months so far), but it was an enjoyable enough process that i think i would have fun streamlining it coming at it with additional knowledge.

As for "opting in", i guess that was a sarcastic response, i'm not sure. But the advantage of a wipe is that new players:

(A) would probably prefer to feel on a more-even footing (sure game knowledge is an advantage but not on the same scale),

and (B) would be challenged by the game. Without a wipe, many new players will be able to coast through on the assistance of others. Of course this would be optional; no one can force you to take help, but the temptation is strong. Players are probably more likely to stick with the game if they feel accomplishment at overcoming obstacles on their own.

Obviously the big downside to a wipe from a "top-down" perspective is that some players might leave, feeling that they're hard work was wasted. It's not as though this is a closed alpha. Sure, probably a lot of people will discover PG when it hits Steam, but nothing is preventing them from playing it now other than their own lack of plumbing the interwebz for a game like it. And typically, maintaining an existing customer is much easier than finding a new one. So there's defintely some advantages in rewarding players who "opted in" early.
    Last edited by alleryn; 03-03-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of think it's a little early to even have this out really. Not to mention that before commenting, a step back is needed instead of just throwing in your two cents unless you're made of two cents. And if you are, I think you have better things to be doing!

Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    (A) would probably prefer to feel on a more-even footing (sure game knowledge is an advantage but not on the same scale),
    I could have taken the whole thing - but this will suffice.

For someone who has only been playing two months you -sure- seem to 'know' a lot.
    ("PSA: Sarcasm" - little homage to my main man alleryn)

Disclaimer: I have no real strong opinions about the wipe. I reiterate the pointlessness of speculation. To my understanding, it wasn't going to be a full wipe - some skills kept, some not. Maybe, maybe not, which skills you ask? Who knows. For the time being it doesn't matter.

Now....

If a full wipe happened, time investment aside, it really is just a massive inconvenience. People complaining about it? Oh yeah, understandable. Player frustration? Yeah, totally expected. For those new to the game and seem to like showing off how much they know, (or how little *cough*), one of the biggest things about PG is: Knowledge. Take a good, long, hard think about it before typing a silly, little, petty reply.

Perhaps its your -inexperience- that highlights how unaware of this you are, but knowledge is a valuable commodity itself. In a game that requires grouping for dungeons (- knowing what bosses are where and the layout of a zone, not to mention the names of things and certain environmental mechanics), has puzzles obstructing progression or that require memorisation, that does not straight up TELL you things, knowledge is quite literally money, in the value sense. Time is money? Please. You can waste all the time you want, make all the money you want, won't amount to anything when stacked up against knowledge.

Take away skills, money, items, everything. You think you're on equal footing with a lot of the community? No. An advantage? It is so much more than that.

Tut tut
    - When you wanted a lot of Gene Wilder gifs, (Wonka.. obvs), but instead have to attend a funeral for the signature section. Rest in RIP, RIP in Piece o'ever-lasting cake. -

(Pssst . . . https://media.giphy.com/media/5ZYlp0bF7qMBa/giphy.gif . . . You're welcome . . .)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Why not wipe everything? Because alpha testing is hard. Putting a lot of hours into an alpha game that can and does change all the time is stressful! You deserve some reward for dealing with all the bullshit involved in alpha development."

Okay, old debate. I underlined the essential (for this topic) part of Citan's statement, maybe if it's colorful it hits home.

He literally means A LOT of hours...some of us have been playing for years and he wants to reward THAT. Anyone who wants a wipe and has been around for few months would not understand that. It's YEARS not MONTHS we put into this game, many times w/o any reward, we saw our skills and gear nerfed, wiped, broken (and we stayed with this game) we helped with testing, bugs reporting, constant feedback, hundreds of game hours etc. If anyone thinks that's unfair too bad. As Easy said if someone feels that after 1-3 months they have an unfair advantage I'm sure that petitioning to support would solve that. This is not a personal attack but with every new wave of players we get this same ol' debate about wipe again.
    I don't know if Citan needs to change his mind based on opinions from players that might not stick around anyway. Let's revisit the topic in a year, most will sing a different tune then.
    Last edited by Khaylara; 03-03-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Deep knowledge of the game would allow the same players "at the top" of this completely non-competitive game to rise again to that same subjective, meaningless spot 2 weeks after a wipe. Thank you, Tsugu and Easy. I agree.
    energy derives from both the plus and negative

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugumori View Post
    Not to mention that before commenting, a step back is needed instead of just throwing in your two cents unless you're made of two cents.
    I couldn't disagree more. We need more opinions not fewer. There's nothing wrong with expressing uninformed opinions. In fact, that's one of the best ways to become informed.

Discouraging people from participating in discussion is the surest way to make sure that discussion is unproductive, or, at least, only reflects the opinions of some (possibly 'elite') subset of the population.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was going to be a major wipe I would want to know as soon as possible. I play and invest heavily into my character with the idea that most of the skills won't be wiped. This knowledge absolutely determines how I currently play this game. Being a completionist really adds to this issue. If there was to be a complete wipe, I would not have even started playing, or played extremely casual. At this point would quit if there was going to be a major skill wipe. This goes heavily against what I was lead to believe would happen. Yes, I know, everything ever stated is subject to change but any comment is going to act as some sort of reinsurance, for better or worse.

Simply put, not having the wipe was an incentive, at least for me, in the beginning. It gave me the freedom to completely invest, test, grind, report, make suggestion, etc. Like I said, without that, I would had done everything differently. I would be willing to bet I am not the only one that the idea of no wipe greatly affected their investment in the game, both monetarily and time.

I agree with Khaylara in that the majority, not all, of the people calling for a complete wipe are probably casual or new players. Which there is nothing wrong with any type of playstyle, but as Hood pointed out, I believe they are trying to view the game in the wrong way. This is not a competition. This was the first game in a long time that I haven't felt as if I was playing catch up with other people. That mindset is detrimental in many ways. I have met so many great people that quickly drop what they were doing to help others out. They have given away items and councils, ran quests for random people and generally offered up their time for strangers just to be helpful. That is not a sign of competition. As also stated, advantages come in many forms. Everything from the combat skillsets you pick, time availability, people you know and general game knowledge. If you want to talk about advantages, you can't remove them all and knowledge will trump everything.

Honestly speaking no one can say with any sort of accuracy what is best for the game. I would argue that wiping everyone would create competition as all the beginning areas will be cramped and frustrating. A lot of the same items, for favors, quests and crafting, will be highly contested, and there would be more people looking out for themselves as they are too busy working back to gain what they lost. Working to gain what you lost is far stronger than being a newbie to a new game. They will be too busy trying to control or dash for certain key and needed resources. Some of which will completely lock down some skills. Why help other level up so they can compete against you for the same needed resources? I believe you will see a major shift in general attitude for a long period of time due to these facts. You will see more guilds only helping themselves and less general cooperation and openness. As you see, this can be argued easily from any viewpoint.

Either way, I hope a conclusion is made one way or the other, sooner rather than later, so I know how to invest my time.

Thread Footer