Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Some general questions - Skills, Armor, Etc.

So I've been playing DG about a week now. It was a bit of a rocky start (one toon got stuck in Rahu). Pretty much all I have been doing was working on NPC Favors, mostly related to either Storage or Skill access. And that’s where most of my councils have gone as well. At this point, I am getting a little frustrated and could use some general advice on a few topics. Sorry for the wall of text!

Skills
    I working on 4 skills (Unarmed, Sword, Fire, Archery). They are all about level 12 or 13. I'd like to get those 4 up to twenty, at which point I will pick two that seem the most fun to combo with.

I want to build a sustainable solo build, that with a little modification, could be used for group play as well. Mostly though, I'm a solo player and prefer ranged battles rather than melee.

Q1: Maybe there is a better set of combos better suited to my play style?

Armor
    Very frustrated by the Armor drops/selection. Not seeing decent drops for my current skills at all. They all want level 10 or 15 skills that I don't have. I've viewed the "used" selection at the Weapon vendors stall and having the same issues. Right now my armor is so sucky that dealing with mobs with more then 90 health is hard.

Q1: How do the loot tables determine what drops, anyways?
    Q2: Is it based on the active skill, or what?

Councils - Need Better Supply for RIGHT NOW
    I viewed the player work order board, and it's not newbie friendly at all. Based on how often I pick up something now, even the easy ones would take me weeks to fill. I've just started surveying but am guessing it's going to be at least a couple of weeks before it pays off. Got about 1k Councils and training to do.

Q1: Any newbie friendly suggestions?

Amethyst
    Also I desperately need Amethyst, which haven't dropped once in Serbule. They are going for 500-900 councils right now. Drop info isn’t on the Wiki, though the Wiki does say I need Survey level 15 to create Blue Mineral Surveys, which does drop them.

Q1: What's the best way to farm for Amethyst after the starter Island? If the answer is grind Surveys until I can mine them, so be it, I just want to know if there are other options.

Summary: I realize that these questions are probably very typical for new players. If some of these items have been answered recently, I’m sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoBlue View Post

Skills
    I working on 4 skills (Unarmed, Sword, Fire, Archery). They are all about level 12 or 13. I'd like to get those 4 up to twenty, at which point I will pick two that seem the most fun to combo with.

I want to build a sustainable solo build, that with a little modification, could be used for group play as well. Mostly though, I'm a solo player and prefer ranged battles rather than melee.

Q1: Maybe there is a better set of combos better suited to my play style?
    Fire/Staff, Psych/Sword, Psych/Archery. I'd focus on two for now. It's going to make acquiring gear easier, and it's easier to level additional skills once you have at least a couple other higher skills.

Armor
    Very frustrated by the Armor drops/selection. Not seeing decent drops for my current skills at all. They all want level 10 or 15 skills that I don't have. I've viewed the "used" selection at the Weapon vendors stall and having the same issues. Right now my armor is so sucky that dealing with mobs with more then 90 health is hard.

Q1: How do the loot tables determine what drops, anyways?
    Q2: Is it based on the active skill, or what?
    Q1: Drops are based on the level of the area that you're in. This determines the design (art effects), and to some extent the types, for the gear as well as the level range of the mods that are included. Most often you'll find gear that includes mods for the skills you're using, but that isn't always the case. Sometimes you'll get very random mods.

Q2: Based on skills on your skillbar when you loot a mob or a chest. Group looting gets weird unless it's turn-based.

Councils - Need Better Supply for RIGHT NOW
    I viewed the player work order board, and it's not newbie friendly at all. Based on how often I pick up something now, even the easy ones would take me weeks to fill. I've just started surveying but am guessing it's going to be at least a couple of weeks before it pays off. Got about 1k Councils and training to do.

Q1: Any newbie friendly suggestions?
    Surveying is a good way to make money right out of the gate. Some of the items on the work order board are higher level, and you won't be able to acquire them. Some, like stomachs, are available at all levels but get easier to farm as your relevant skills improve. There are still going to be some hidden gems for you, such as a stack of beets. It'll take you a couple hours to farm them, but the pay-off is your time spent. I put together a list of tips on Steam under the guides section for new players looking to make cash. You might want to check it out.

Amethyst
    Also I desperately need Amethyst, which haven't dropped once in Serbule. They are going for 500-900 councils right now. Drop info isn’t on the Wiki, though the Wiki does say I need Survey level 15 to create Blue Mineral Surveys, which does drop them.

Q1: What's the best way to farm for Amethyst after the starter Island? If the answer is grind Surveys until I can mine them, so be it, I just want to know if there are other options.

Summary: I realize that these questions are probably very typical for new players. If some of these items have been answered recently, I’m sorry.
    First off, amethysts aren't necessary, and they aren't going to save you all that much time if you're only bouncing around from Serbule Hills, Serbule, and Eltibule. Don't worry too much about them right now. You're going to get used to running places. The supply hasn't caught up with demand caused by the recent influx of players, but prices will stabilize back to around 300 per. Surveying is a great way to get them, and if you're going to be surveying anyway for cash, then you'll soon find yourself with plenty to use and sell.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer a lot of your questions, I'll offer up that this doesn't seem to be a game that encourages rushing. Nor do you need too. You can take your time, do a bit of this, a bit of that, and figure things out.

Gear: Lots of gear drops, some of it will be usable, and a lot is just for feeding to vendors either as councils or favor.

Money: Getting stuff to sell will quickly change to "where do i sell it?" Don't neglect Favor. The amount they pay per item, and the pool of money they have each week, will both go up with favor.

Tradeskills: These help with money eventually, but at the start are a money sink. Cooking will immediately help, so will alchemy. Tanning lets you sell hides for more and leads to leatherworking. Blacksmithing takes metals you won't have. Toolcrafting takes skills you don't have.

Surveying: Cheapest way to get gems and metal. Tough at first because you will run into a lot of things that will eat you. It will be easier to just buy the Amethyst you need for now, than to try to gain enough skill to run surveys.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate both of your replies to my questions.

sudostahp - I'll check out Steam today. Meanwhile my concern about Amethysts is that unlike most everything else (skills, ability levels, favor, etc.) my Teleportation skill has not advanced at all, and hence, I figured that it was falling behind all my other advancements. If that is not the case, I will stop worry about it.

I'll check out Pysch - I tend to play fire mages, so of course, I went RIGHT there when I was able. But I am open to other ideas. One Question: When you say "it's easier to level additional skills once you have at least a couple other higher skills.".....What does that actually mean? I'm getting tired of heading back to the Island to level a new skill. Maybe you mean that if a couple of my skills are like level 30, which lets me be in a slightly higher level area, it's easier to level a new skill there? Just checking.

Mikhaila - I don't know that I am rushing. I'm playing at the pace I normally do, which is not the pace "some" people consider safe. Personally, I like to "set up" before I actually "play" so that's mostly what I have been doing, while leveling a bit here and there. I just have reached a point with Councils, Armor and Skill questions that I felt I should post, and get it out of the way. That way, I can address each topic as I have time while I do my normal routine in the game. Haven't forgotten Favor, but wow with a timesink. I'd probably be level 25 in a skill or two by now.

I'm glad to hear tradeskills get better. In many games, they are a money sink until they get high enough to pay for themselves. I'm just not used to having to "pay" to level Tradeskills, and consequently did not balance my Councils accordingly. I'm actually just hording all my hides, because I need to work on some of my existing tradeskills like fletching and carpentry first. I don't even want to deal with Blacksmithing until I am much further along with "applicable" tradeskills are related to my skills.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your teleportation skill will lag behind. It's no big deal, teleportation is fairly limited in scope, and you're not going to get much benefit from the additional skills after you have bind and recall.

You can have, I believe, up to a 25 point difference in combat skill pairs. So if your archery skill is level 5, you can also use level 30 (and below) fire magic attacks. This means you can kill faster, and kill mobs worth more xp, hence being able to level new skills more quickly. Also, don't feel pressured to hang out on the island. Hit Serbule Hills and Serbule, there's plenty to do in both zones at lower levels.

Most trade skills will never make you money, even filling work orders. Carpentry is an exception. If you're concerned about skills that will make you cash, focus on resource harvesting: foraging, butchering, skinning, surveying/mining, gardening, tanning etc. You'll spend far more in leatherworking, cheesemaking, tailoring, blacksmithing, and toolcrafting than you'll ever make back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like you are me!! I love your questions - only played 3 days so I have no answers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm low 20's in my current active skills. I've been farming a lot to keep up with easy player work orders, as well as keeping all my shopkeepers, trainers and misc NPC's happy. In 3 zones. Mostly because I don't want to level fast, as I am still trying to figure out what battle style I prefer. Thanks to an earlier recommendation in this thread, I've settled on 4 current skills, all of which can, in theory, work together. Ice magic might be something I try later, but am not concerned about that.

Meanwhile, I am also working on getting some synergy skills, like Calligraphy, going. The darn trainer was "out fishing" for 4 RL days while I was trying to get that darn skill, heh.

Anyways, I guess at my current "level", I'm doing ok. I can manage smaller bosses solo, and am almost done with everything in Serbule (except for the Crypt, which for some reason, I really hate).

Now, if only finding level 20'ish gear was easier. Serbule Hills drops mostly the same newbie stuff (5, 10, 15) as Serbule, and Entibule is too high level for me to go running around in yet.

Finally, this is my 3rd week in the game, and gosh darn it, I love it. I feel totally like this is what Everquest was in the early days. It's hard, but it's also the sort of challenge that has been missing in a lot of common MMO's.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @IndigoBlue Eltibule is full of level-appropriate things for a level 20; the problem is that there are things through level 40. Just keep an eye on what chases you and avoid the things that squish you flat. Stay mostly in the west/south and take on one thing at a time and you'll be fine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The caligraphy trainer is always "out fishing" during the full moon.
    Also, I wouldn't bother hoarding your hides for now, I'd suggest giving them all to Marna, the extra storage space she gives is nice at low levels.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmatx View Post
    The caligraphy trainer is always "out fishing" during the full moon.
    Also, I wouldn't bother hoarding your hides for now, I'd suggest giving them all to Marna, the extra storage space she gives is nice at low levels.
    I've got hides for Marna (currently half way through close friends), and I've got hides for learning tanning (alibit REALLY slowly), heh. I may also do the Marna thing on one of my other toons, but not sure.

And since I've unlocked storage on other NPC's in Serbule, I'm starting to hang on to some other things, like cotton seeds, and misc things I'll need in 10 levels or so.

@Chrissa - There are level 20'ish mobs in Eltibule? Well, that is a surprise. Seems when I go do NPC stuff or farm wood there I'm running around something that's got 600+ HP. I'll make a point to travel around a bit in that zone and check things out further. Thanks for the tip.

Thread Footer