Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Impressions

Hey all! Just wanted to write my first impressions.

Firstly, I want to congratulate the developers on this project. Its amazing that two people can, in a space of only a few years, develop a game which many much larger teams cant manage in a much larger time frame. Its a really great story, and I think that everyone involved in the project, even in a small part, from casual players really appreciate the work that has gone into this.

I played Daoc way back when, and pretty much every other major mmo since. I think the major thing that the old mmo's had that has been lost in the new ones is a sense of community. When the guild you chose meant something, and the relationships you make were remembered and respected. I'm not saying that it cant happen in new mmo's, but it seems the older ones really emphasized this particular social interaction and working together.

The community thus far from my limited experience in PG has been really good. Global chat has been for the most part intelligent and helpful. Its a really good sign moving into the future.

I wanted to start by saying the parts I have loved, even though I've only played it for 6 or so hours so far. The quest system is really good, and gaining favor with specific npc's is an idea that some developers have had, but I think you have kept it really simple - and sometimes simple is best, and has made it enjoyable and connects you with the story - something that has been lacking in other games.

The skills are a bit to get your head around at first. I read about what I wanted to do before starting playing, and I assume most players probably would, so it was no issue knowing where to get the first training off. I love how there is so much space to make mistakes or play in your own way. Its really refreshing.

In saying the above there were a few things I picked up that deteriorated from my experience:

1. BAF / Agro Range: I brought this up in global chat. When pulling with a bow, often additional mobs are called by the one I am attacking. No problem there, but sometimes they are called from a mile away. The range that they call friends seems abnormally far. The other thing is agro from different mob types. For example, if I pull a pig, and the pig calls a spider. I dont know if that was intended, but I would have assumed that if you are going to call for friends for help, they would be of the same species.

2. Issues with mobs in general: I went to the sewers/crypt in beginner town. I am not sure if the slimes in the sewers are supposed to fully heal themselves after beginning combat, even from being on 10% HP. Those and the dinosaurs also seemed to have additional mobs spawn when they agro ( They wern't respawns). Meaning you may pull one, one add comes, then two more teleport out of nowhere to be in combat with you, while the first one has fully healed. As i said, I dont know if that was intentional, but it seems a bit buggy. It happened outside of that zone too where mobs would sometimes teleport right next you.

3. Shooting through Walls: Mobs in the Crypt were shooting through walls. This takes away from the strategic line of sight that can be used as a strategy to lure particular mobs into melee range.

4 Animations: The graphics are pretty good considering the emphasis is on gameplay and not on graphics and I realize there are some improvements to come in this area. The suggestion I was going to make here was that the player animations seemed a little clunky and concentrating on that particular improvement would make a huge difference to the game play.

Anyhow, I love my first try at PG and will be back for more. If I can help make this game even better, I would love to do so.

Whyse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!! PG is a breath of fresh air compared to other games out there. Yes, a lot of other games have more "polish", but PG has more substance in my opinion. Have fun and try everything!

Lemme know if you need anything.
    ~~ Brizzt ~~ a female Drow of no consequence....YET

Fire - 70
    Ice - 70
    Shield - 36
    Unarmed - 33
    Psychology - 52
    Noob - 100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome and glad you are enjoying the game. On the animation issue, I believe the Dev's said a new animation system will be coded in soonish.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to address number 3.

While the animations of mobs travel through the walls at times, mobs will not launch a ranged attack unless they have a clear line of sight on you. You can also interrupt their line of sight to make them approach you. The attacks that travel through the walls are attacks that were launched when line of sight was established on you. I think typically unity functions with projectiles that travel extremely fast and "peek a boo" type luring wouldn't work. But since the projectiles in this game have been slowed down so much they appear very messy with how they interact with the enviroment ( they dont interact , just ghost through walls)

I really hope we can body pull @Citan to talk about projectiles and how they interact with environments. In the future will we see projectiles that lack homing but have increased speed? Is there a way to make that projectiles can have their path interupted after being fired?

On a side note, what is up with when a fire ball lands on a target but then bounces around the target super rapidly like a hopped up mosquito trying to land. It doesn't ruin immersion for me at all but it does make me laugh.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    I really hope we can body pull @Citan to talk about projectiles and how they interact with environments. In the future will we see projectiles that lack homing but have increased speed? Is there a way to make that projectiles can have their path interupted after being fired?
    Would also be interested in hearing more on this. As it stands now, it doesn't seem possible to avoid ranged attacks through movement since everything has a heat-seeking honing device. I know accuracy and evasion function as stats which roll for each attack/defense, but it was very confusing at first learning that mechanic. Since melee mobs can be kited to reduce their number of effective hits, it would be nice if you could use similar tactics to avoid ranged attacks. Not sure if this is something that physics on Unity engine prevent, but I know it worked well in other games. Dodging in AC for PVP was crucial for instance, and made movement during combat more strategic. I often find myself standing completely still during combat, and it can seem like repetitive button-mashing.

Thread Footer