Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    Nobody in the real world goes to jail for the kind of scamming ...

Gut if you hand over the said broccoli, never see the guy again, and try to get recompense through the court system, chances are you're not gonna have a lot of luck.
    No. It would be against the law. Someone scamming old people and taking their food would be arrested. And thrown in jail.

It doesn't matter if they convinced them to hand over their stuff. It's still illegal to promise and run off.

Asshats like to be cops and they like to be lazy. So they often don't protect old people from scammers like these. But it's still illegal.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    No. It would be against the law. Someone scamming old people and taking their food would be arrested. And thrown in jail.

It doesn't matter if they convinced them to hand over their stuff. It's still illegal to promise and run off.

Asshats like to be cops and they like to be lazy. So they often don't protect old people from scammers like these. But it's still illegal.
    Maybe in the suburbs people get arrested for this... I really doubt it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    Maybe in the suburbs people get arrested for this... I really doubt it...
    Theft is theft, even if you convince them to hand it over.

Usually it takes something of greater value to get the cops interested, but legally, anything between a certain value range is the same crime.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khariel View Post

Usually it takes something of greater value to get the cops interested, but legally, anything between a certain value range is the same crime.
    I never argued it wasn't illegal.... i only ever said you wouldn't go to jail for it... so thanks for helping prove my point.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That cops are lazy doesn't, in fact, prove that you won't go to jail for stealing candy from a baby.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=114301025

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khariel View Post

depends. If you "convince" them by force or threat of force it's not "a theft" anymore. It become extortion which actually is much serious crime no matter if you succeeded or what you got from it.

Not sure how it's where you live, but here (Czech Rep.) cops NEEDS to be interested in anything someone reports. They can't just say "we don't care". They need to investigate and they need to report it. It will be concluded, that theft (or scam) caused damage below (around $200), they say it's not a crime, it's just an offense. You can't go to jail, but they send that file you local administrative where you live and you have to pay a fine (with other consequences, especially if it's not your first one) ).

Scamming and griefing in the game is bad. It does nothing to do with RP. RP assasins do choose their target between characters whos players agreed to (usually by RPing in the same group). If RP character scams another character but that player reports it as a scam. Then it's not RP anymore and the player need to bare consequences. It's easy to tell them apart. Because if you scam someone as RP player you can always say when you talk to other character complaining and solving it in RP way or you pissed off the player (RP NEVER do that as a goal) and he wants things returned. There is no excuse in "being RP assasin/thug who randomly kills/scam other players - not characters".

If you find scam/griefing fun. Ok. Just find someone who agrees with the same thing and play together. Otherwise, face the punishment for ruining other players (not characters) gameplay.

In other words: players are always more important then characters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gervase View Post
    Let me start off on this foot first, I do not condone scamming nor would I ever partake in it. I believe it is a very untrustworthy thing to do, it's morally (game-wise) wrong to do, and it tarnishes your name beyond belief if found out or caught.

But should it be considered a punishable offense by administration? No, I do not think so.
    Untrustworthy? It's a completely scummy thing to do. "Name tarnishing" means nothing to the player base as a whole because if you don't know the names of a player's alts they can just scam and swap chars. In my experience would-be scammers care very little about the fallout afterwards. That said, there is talking points for both sides.

- Against Scamming: It's shit, if it happens to a player its very demoralising, it doesn't send a positive message about the community as a whole since we'd all be lumped in together.
    - For Scamming: There are no positives for scamming, but some people would take the stance of 'if they were dumb enough to get scammed it's their own fault'. This is both profoundly true but sad. It's a double edged sword, I believe the PG community prides itself on it's community focused mentality. That's one of the draws of the game I like to think, new players joining the game see this and perhaps want to join in. For some I believe this lures them into a false sense of security.

I agree with some of the other comments above, @Easylivin for one. "How do you scam?"

In my mind this means either:
    - promising something but demanding to be paid first and never delivering. (i.e. getting mats/crafting stuff etc)
    - cheating someone out of money by means of underpaying on purpose to a new player who knows nothing about item prices.
    - asking to be paid for mundane things that warrant no payment whatsoever. (Answering questions in help chat etc)

I believe good players / people are just as much allowed as evil players / people. What do I think is allowed, and not allowed?

Not Allowed:
    Hacking - Obvious reasons.
    Exploiting - Obvious Reasons.
    Harassment - In the form of, bringing things from the real world. I believe RP has it's place in a game like this.

Allowed:
    Scamming - People like playing con artists.
    Griefing - How ever you can do that, it should be allowed. While staying within the fair bounds of the game.
    Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. This isn't D&D or tabletop where you can stare a friend in the face as their alignment leads them to do you over and rob, murder or trap you. Being "evil" in PG denotes going against the very core of the community: Not being a dick.

I kind of feel like all of these things are fields away from scamming. Hacking is more like game abuse, rather than player abuse. Sure exploiting is like 'scamming the game' but even still. And like... Dude, seriously? Your take on harassment? If people want to bring shit from RL let them, and IGNORE THEM if you don't like it. If they want to talk about how they had a shit day and are glad to be on PG, LET THEM. We don't just dismiss people because they want to talk about their life. RP (role-play) does have a place in this game, I believe there is a chatroom for it though. Not in the world as a whole. Sure there are the death RP tabs, but that's a whole other thing. Maybe you didn't mean it in the way that I think but how you described it? Just, sigh.

There's a difference between being a con artist and just a shitty person. I'm a fan of the show Hustle, so I don't view playing an online game and essentially tricking people (in rather mundane ways I might add) to give you their stuff. I don't think scamming is essentially a bannable offense, but ostracize worthy? Definitely. This isn't minecraft - or a sandbox game - so griefing is minimal really. The only instance I can think of is interfering with other people while they forage or are grinding mobs.

Now like I said, I don't condone what I believe should be allowed - I dislike it, and wish people /didn't/ do it - regardless.. It should be allowed as I don't choose the play styles of others and have no right to ruin that for them so long as it is fair.

My question to you, the community and administration is this - Should this be a bannable offense? Is it a bannable offense? If it's not, what would -we- the players do about this. I'm just curious where every one stands on the topic.
    I get that you don't condone it, and I get you don't like it. I think the vast majority of the community, or communities in general within online games, look upon it in an unfavourable light. Your indifference to it though... Cheating others, scamming, tricking - It's not something clever people do. It's what people who think they are clever do, when in fact they are actually just lazy. The main reason I've seen most people try to cheat others out of things is because they are too lazy to grind it themselves. Isn't that pathetic that at the core, the motivation is just utter laziness. I mean if you were nasty to someone, and they got you back by scamming you, that makes more sense in that there's a reason why it happened. Doesn't mean it's okay - just 'less not so'.

Maybe I seem a bit passionate or 'ranty' but before PG I'd been playing in another community where scamming was commonplace. It was one of the only ways to get a lot of money fast since so many people hoarded the currency. I never did it myself but came close to being scammed before the chancer tripped up talking to me. There was no moderation in that game, little to none at all. Scamming was a bannable offense but it was also hard to catch them since they were merely character bans, not account wide. (And players could have between 8 and 20 characters on an account depending on how many slots you unlocked.)

I think there should be some recompense, not necessarily bans. I'm trying to think of it from the point of view of someone banned. Being locked out of say a character instead of the account is quite punishing as is. That said, scammers would probably use alts instead of new chars. How the old community I was a part of combated it was by creating a list on the forums of trusted currency sellers, (since that was the main scam), in PG I guess it could be along the lines of new players asking the community in global if the player they are dealing with is legit. The counter to this being if a scammer has friends that vouch for them. To counter this I think bannable offenses should be put in place.

Once offs are one thing - you can come back from that and learn your lesson. Premeditating it with others though? GTFO of the game.
    Last edited by Tsugumori; 02-08-2017 at 06:14 AM.
    - When you wanted a lot of Gene Wilder gifs, (Wonka.. obvs), but instead have to attend a funeral for the signature section. Rest in RIP, RIP in Piece o'ever-lasting cake. -

(Pssst . . . https://media.giphy.com/media/5ZYlp0bF7qMBa/giphy.gif . . . You're welcome . . .)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually am for it being allowed in game. It's a crazy thing I know, but I am with the OP in that hacking/stealing of cash value items (real life bank accounts, CC#s, SSNs, etc) is bannable and against the law.

In a game that does not allow the sale of virtual items for real life compensation, the value of what a scammer would take in game is, like it or not, zero.

It is one thing I liked about Asheron's Call, the game I previously played. You had to deal with the repercussions of your actions. So, the more you scam, the more infamous you become. The more infamous you are, the less likely it is people will make deals with or listen to you. There is a sense of community in games that do not allow name/race/servers changes that I like. You make a spot for yourself in that community, good or bad.

While I wouldn't RP nor advocate for scamming/thievery, I find it creates an interesting facet to the community. TLDR - Don't encourage it, but don't ban for it.

As much as someone may not like it, there is an RP aspect to thievery. I'm sure some are lazy, but if that's how they choose to play the game, that's how they choose to play it. If every player was cognoscente of what they were doing, these thieves would absolutely be left wanting.

That being said, can we make Tar and Feathering a skill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Umber View Post
    In a game that does not allow the sale of virtual items for real life compensation, the value of what a scammer would take in game is, like it or not, zero.
    There is really big misconception of what is worth "something" and what is worth "zero". I would suggest to really reevaluate that attitude. What do you thing "real money" are really worth that "not real" are not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it has value in the game, it has value.

Regardless of whether or not it should be bannable, there must be consequences for bad behaviors. If there were a system for dealing with in game "crimes" other than reporting and getting the person banned, that would be one thing, but as it stands right now, there is no such system, so banning/suspending is currently the only way to get through to people that such things are not permitted.

In the anime Log Horizon, the council they set up dealt with crimes by locking criminals out of vital services. The game world also had a system in place to deal with players attacking players inside towns. The later is not a problem for this game, because there is no random pvp.

As far as I know, there hasn't been a huge scammer/thief problem in PG yet, and I sincerely hope that we never get to that point... but as I stated, unless they want to program in systems to deal with such things, I am a firm believer that it cannot be allowed to happen.

Thread Footer