Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khariel View Post
    With the switching between clashing permanent choices thing... I think there should be a cost beyond the material for doing it. I think you should give up everything associated with the skill when you drop it. That means (for example) if you give up being a wolf, you lose all howling, beast metabolism, and lycanthropy xp gained. The reason for this is that, when you're a wolf, it's not just that you are a wolf. You deal with the werewolf goddess. I imagine she would not be happy to see you giving up her gift. So to get back in her favor, you have to start over from scratch (or claw in this case... We're not pokemon!)

This would enable people who regret the decision to have a way out of it... but it would also ensure that you didn't go "Ooo, Vampire sounds cool! *switches without thinking it through* Awww, this isn't as fun as I thought... *switches back*" It should be a hard choice to make... Do I give up everything I've fought so hard for to try out this other thing... or do I stick with what I know, and maybe make a new character to try this other thing later.
    I think this makes sense. There should be an actual cost to changing forms, but I wouldn't want it to be all xp lost; just want it to be a significant opportunity cost to do so. If the player lost say 25% or 50% of their skills, it would be a decision they have to ponder, but they don't lose everything if they switched back.

It would be an interesting twist if you could do check gates for if they join an opposing view. So it's -25 for leaving and another -25% if you join the opposing faction.
    "Sometimes, a good dagger is your only friend."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khariel View Post
    The reason for this is that, when you're a wolf, it's not just that you are a wolf. You deal with the werewolf goddess. I imagine she would not be happy to see you giving up her gift. So to get back in her favor, you have to start over from scratch (or claw in this case... We're not pokemon!)
    This makes me think of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup where if you eschew worship of one god for another, the god you left will often smite you with (un)holy vengeance periodically for a time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lidocaine View Post
    I've been thinking about what I want to do in PG during this alpha phase, but one thing that I'm really on the fence about is Permanent Character Alternations (PCA's)--namely, for me, druidism. Now, first, I want to say that the general idea of PCA's is great, imo. I get them and their purpose. I actually like the idea that some decisions you make are permanent--like choosing a specialization in a tradecraft. Even though other MMO's almost always offer a way for you to revert your decision (sometimes for a monetary cost, sometimes at the cost of all progression down that path), I don't even necessarily mind that PG doesn't appear to plan on following suit.

However, this is what's bothering me: if this change is, in fact, permanent, it would require me to level another character in a different (opposing) skillset in order to test this other aspect of the game. Basically, what I'm saying is that knowing that, it is discouraging me from playing (and, in effect, testing a certain aspect of the game during this stage of development), which I feel is counter-productive.

Now I am new to PG, so correct me if I'm wrong! Using Druid as an example, there doesn't seem to be anything you're locked-out of by learning druidism. If, in fact, you can learn all PG skills regardless of PCA's like druidism, then I've written all of this for nothing. But if becoming a Druid now locks me out of vampirism (when it's released, for example) it seems like there should be an option to abandon druidism in favor of vampirism...at least during this alpha/testing phase.

Sorry for rambling a bit--I'm at work and had to get this out of my head!
    THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS ...I could go on. Dear Devs its ALPHA i know many people that want to help test what ever they can but have ZERO incentive to try permanent change classes. Druid is great cause of all the benefits I am really thinking of Lycan right now. Why should i try to help test that on my main character? answer you shouldnt. I do not understand the logic of making permanent choices in what is essential play testing. anyone??

I like the idea of removing you penma-choice... with a cost :

- You have to gain the same amount of XP you have when you decide to de-perma your skill. Click on a button, or do a quest, then do whatever you want, but you need to gain an overall equal to the total amount of XP you need to remve from your perma-skill.

- Or more immediate, "forget the skill", and lose ALL the progress. So if i'm level 54 in Druid and i don't want to be Druid again, i can with a button. Then if i want to be Druid again, i still can, but i have to start from nothing, like the very first time.

However i think i remember Citan said several times "no, no, no, perma is permanently permanent, deal with it".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm controversial but I wonder if wiping combat skills would be such a bad idea. Reset druid/wolf to allow for mistakes to be redeemed.
    Wouldnt take that long to relevel combat skills.
    I just dont want to see tradeskills and favour reset - that would make me consider the drag in redoing them. I see that as the reward for doing alpha and beta testing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be nice if at game release or 1 stage earlier when at character selection you are prompted to you skill page, there it will show all your skills the level of your skills and maybe be able to let go of a specific skill and pick another ( preset amount of skills) this process will cause you to lose x amount/ percentage of xp.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly don't know if I need the ten-fifteen levels in sword and fire I have, but... I have avoided the 'permanent' choices just because they get in the way of leveling.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    I certainly don't know if I need the ten-fifteen levels in sword and fire I have, but... I have avoided the 'permanent' choices just because they get in the way of leveling.
    I've avoided them because I don't know how they'll work after launch. Things change in testing and the skills as they end up probably won't be what they are now.

Citan could decide to make the perma-costs very different and I could end up unhappy with what those costs are with no way to avoid it.

Thread Footer