Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback: Remove Sexual References and Lower Profanity of NPCs

While there are quite a few aspects of PG that I am enjoying, one area that I'm not a fan of is the high amount of sexual references and profanity of NPCs. I have two main problems with this text being so prevalent...
    1) I sometimes have my younger kids are nearby and possibly reading over my shoulder, so having these types of things going across chat and quests is a drawback.
    2) If you want a more mature audience, then I don't think this is the way to go. I actually think you could end up with a less mature audience by feeding sex and profanity (for generalities, think Darktide for an AC reference). I would propose going with deeper questions/lore/riddles than talking about having sex with a tornado.

I realize I'm a bit more conservative in my viewpoints and that there are ways to avoid/remove some of these interactions, but for general feedback of the game and where I could see it actually leading to, I just thought I'd mention it here.

Thanks for a fun (and currently free!) game!
    =Yertle

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand where you are coming from. I would like to make a couple of points though. For reference i am a 42 years old married male and have played video games religiously since the early 90's.

- Sexual innuendo and sexuality is everywhere in mainstream media, let alone a video game. You would have to isolate yourself from all forms of television, radio, online content and printed media to not see it.

- Profanity is also very prevalent in society and now formally accepted as a common social norm in terms of public use and acceptance. In Australia it is often a part of general banter and conversation.

- It is refreshing to see that a game designer is not adhering to a specific audience and creating a nanny state.

- It is better then seeing blood and gore, decapitations, mutilation and depravity in high definition which is often the case in modern computer games.

Please do not take this as rebellion or a personal attack on your views. I just see it differently is all.

Regards
    Ant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it being in there. Kind of cements it being a game for adults. Some of the sexy stuff is just funny, well at least the first 200 times you see it. I like the profanity being in there, again... a game for adults. Plus I swear a lot myself IRL, so I find it oddly comforting. Honestly it's one of the things I love about PG. It's the little things!

Also... a game for adults.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an adult game. It's not PG, although the initials are PG. The adult references and comments by NPCs are part of the game and aren't going to change. I refer you to an old post by Citan that was recently brought over from the old forum:

http://forum.projectgorgon.com/showt...ull=1#post2298

From that post:

"This is an adult-rated game.

The game has no ESRB rating or similar yet, but we consider it "rated R" for adult situations, language, drug and alcohol use. There will never be dramatic blood, gore, or (particularly sexy) nudity, however."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilibat View Post
    Also... a game for adults.
    I get it's a game for adults, but I don't think having these types of interactions means the game will only be played/seen by adults or even that that is in fact what makes it a game for adults. So while my point #1 is what is a drawback for me, #2 is actually what would concern me more as the game goes GA.

I definitely do agree with Ant in regards to the limited blood/gore is nice and that the level of details of PG are excellent. I'm not offended by opposing views, but I do think different dialogue could make the game even better from my viewpoint.

As far as Greyfyn's "...aren't going to change.", of course things could change. Even when Citan said "never" in regards to PvP he backtracked and said it could be discussed.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I actually enjoy that part very much, it can be crude at times but c'mon, shagging a tornado xD It is meant for adults and most of the community is adult (slightly geriatric even). It's probably not a good idea to let your kids watch your screen when you play video games though, especially if they are very young. It's a bit much to ask for a feature to be removed based on "my kids are watching" imho, sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, for instance, why are the elves so sex crazed anyway? Well, there's some history behind that.

The elf models were rather skimpy, and the females even wore high heels (lol plate metal high heels). As a result...

But it's [the models] distracting. I’m making a city for the elves to live in, and over time this ridiculous sexualization has seeped into its culture. Whenever I create a female shopkeeper or a quest giver or anybody else, they’re hypersexualized. I know I should have ignored their appearance, but when writing dialog for a woman in a slut suit, it’s really hard not to write them as being really kinky.

So I finally decided to run with it. I decided the elven race as a whole is just really sex-addled. They constantly talk about sex. They have inappropriate conversations about it everywhere. They obsess about it. That’s why they never stop being sexy, even when cooking, even when fighting, even when sleeping.

While it’s instantly clear that females are walking sex symbols, the males might be able to go about their lives without having to feel too oversexed. So I fixed that with NPC dialog. Turns out male elves all have very long penises. Two of them. Oh, you can’t see it in the model because their clothes are on, but everybody talks about it (and about how odd those humans are, with their one-penis anatomy). Tada!

Yes, that’s real content. I made it mostly out of frustration. I kind of doubt it will stay in the game, because of how conservative the US culture is about this sort of thing. Heh… but weirder things have happened.
    So, yeah, it could change. If it does, that won't be for a long time probably.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tia--that's hilarious!

History and backstories make games more interesting. So far, npc dialogues have been more imaginative than in some mmos; I appreciate the difference. Changing the nature of elves by making their statements more neutral to suit the audience removes that bit of flavor.

As for the audience itself, I think it's impractical to assume that players will primarily be from the US. I've encountered people from Bulgaria, Morocco, Sweden, Argentina, Poland.... And of course, we have a lot of players from Australia and New Zealand.

When it comes to sexuality, I like how this game has handled some aspects. Gear for example, looks the same on male or female models. That's significant. Spring Fairy gear--hahahaha.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd agree if the sexuality/profanity were gratuitous, but where i've seen it, i'd categorize it as appropriate/realistic, which to me is what's important.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elves: Old Forum Discussion

I found another relevant Citan quote from 2 years and 1 month ago. Since the old forum content might not be accessible in the future, I'll attach it here for reference.

They lost me... Citan 2 years 1 month ago #1928

Yeah, there's no need to crucify somebody for their opinion. I read his post, shrugged, and that was that. If he felt strongly enough to bother posting, then at this point I want to hear it: I did ask for feedback after all! And people have complained about almost every aspect of the game's design. I don't think that's bad. If they weren't complaining, I'd know the game wasn't treading new ground.

There are definitely people who will not play the game because the NPCs say dirty stupid stuff. If those people would also refuse to play a game with "lingerie model armor", then I can't fault them for that: they have beliefs about sexuality, and as long as they aren't hypocritical about it, that's fine by me. (If they're the sort who like women in games to be nearly naked, but to keep their mouths shut about sex, then that doesn't sit as well with me. But still, whatever. I'm not here to lecture people: play or don't.)

The design of the elves came from seeing all the prefabricated "elf models" I could buy when I was developing the game. They were supposed to be mighty archers and swordsmen, but they could never take off their high heels or wear a supportive bra... it was ludicrous. So I did the indie thing and dug into why: if they look like this when they're fighting, they must have a reason, right? They wouldn't dress this way just to entertain the game player. And it became obvious that elves would be pretty into sex.

That artwork is long gone and elves are much more modest in their appearance (which is how I want it). But they remain very "into" sex. I find it a useful racial attribute. Most games have elves which are just "humans but arrogant" and dwarves which are "humans but stubborn". If we have to stereotype a whole race in order to make it work in a fantasy game (and we kinda do -- otherwise they just come across as "humans with different appearances"), we can at least give them new stereotypes!

That stereotype also helps explain racial animosity between humans and elves, provides backstory hooks, and gives roleplaying opportunities. (Although it also has created a few unfortunate "roleplay" scenarios, too, so like every design, it's a double-edged sword.) As the game goes on and we see how each race approaches sexuality, it will let me highlight the differences between the races in a way that few other games manage to do. I find it interesting, and that's basically my litmus test.

If I had to change the elves in order for to be successful, I'd just remove them. I don't really need "humans with long ears and no other discernible differences" in the game -- I'm an indie, and artwork costs a fortune. I need every aspect of the game to pull its weight from a gameplay point of view. Elves weren't in the original design of the game, it was going to be only humans. So I have considered removing the other races and tightening things down -- but at the point I'm not planning to do that. It doesn't seem to be a deal-breaker for most people.

Anyway, as a community we need to avoid jumping on people who have different opinions. It's useful to mention that you disagree, and to say why. But being too hostile will just make this forum an echo chamber where people only post if they have the same views as the majority. That would really be detrimental to the game. So please consider your words carefully when responding to an opinion you disagree with!

Thread Footer