Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is parsing log chat files allowed by the EULA?

I'm currently writing an application that can display the content of PG chat (Global, Help, Trade, Guild) even if offline or on a computer without PG installed. This app is based on reading chat logs of people playing the game with the "LogChat" special setting set.

I believe this doesn't break the EULA since it doesn't touch the client program nor read communication between the client and servers. Chat logs look like public files that we are free to parse or use as we want. But I would like to be sure, because to finish my proof of concept I need a few people to use it together and I don't want to ask them to run anything that could break the EULA. When it's ready I intend to make it public (unless it creates problems).

This app will not be able to send messages to players until the game supports it. As far as I know, this particular feature has been postponed.

Looking forward to look at Global drama from the office.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yep, you can parse chat logs, as they aren't part of the game installation itself.

Two relevant things to note:

1- As mentioned in the "Special Settings" help screen, LogChat will eventually become VIP-only. That's a ways away, after we robustify it and extend it to support other kinds of logging. But the point is that eventually players will need a VIP subscription to log chat.

2- we're still planning to create a system where guilds and groups can plug in chat bots to the game's chat channels, which will allow a way for two-way communication via external tools. (Although for sanity's sake, we won't allow chat bots in standard channels like Global chat, so that may not be relevant for what you're trying to do!) That's not likely to happen until mid-2018, however.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the confirmation. (First post was from the wrong account, makes me look bad for a question about the EULA...)

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's okay, @Niph. <narrowed eyes> We know exactly who you are ...

(<grin>)

Thread Footer