Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool New tool for Mushroom Farming!

Hoi folks!

The other day I got the idea to write some sort of program to simplify throwing down new shroom boxes. I sometimes have to check which substrate I need, and don't ask me to remember all the phase associations. So instead of toil in the soil, I devised a little web page powered by a script that not only calculates the moon phase for you, but also displays the fungi that grow best in each phase.

The project has an MIT (EDIT: now GPLv3) license, so feel free to make edits and redistribute to your heart's content (please read the LICENSE.txt and include it when you share this software), just please give credit where and when it is due.

EDIT: updated links (again, 13 Nov 2020)
    http://phasepharmer.app

Here's a screenshot:

I would love some feedback as to whether or not players find this tool useful, or if you have a good suggestion for a project. That's all from me, happy farming!

-SJ
    Last edited by SausageJavelins; 11-13-2020 at 03:47 AM. Reason: update links, license
    🗡️Sharp knives🗡️ and 💔hurtful words💔
    YouTube: insult&stab
    Twitch: sausagejavelins

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its great. If anything, id say move the today's phase to the top and the select the phase under it so that it's more clear what mushroom phase you are looking at.
    If you make more versions, maybe including box info could be helpful. material requirements +time added per mushroom.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How do you like your formula to calculate the current moon phase? Did you check how accurate it is?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SausageJavelins View Post
    I sometimes have to check which substrate I need, and don't ask me to remember all the phase associations.
    But that's why we have spreadsheets, right? Well, actually - your web page looks much nicer than my spreadsheet. Thanks for making it - I look forward to trying it out when I have some free time! In the meantime, some feedback based on what I see in the screenshot:

What I always want to know is how many hours until the next moon phase, so I can know whether my current crop of mushrooms will have time to actually finish growing or end up with the next phase's growth benefits. So, if you are calculating the moon phases anyway, that would be helpful information to show ( as far as I know the cycle resets at midnight Eastern time but I'm not sure how the game determines how many days per phase since that can vary).

It may also be helpful to have an option to show growth time * 1.25 or * .75 or whatever, to account for epic yield or fast boxes.

It might be useful to show mushrooms that just grow ok in the current moon phase, too - or put in a warning for mushrooms that don't grow well - since sometimes you may want to grow a particular mushroom right now, as long as it isn't the poor moon phase.
    Last edited by Tagamogi; 05-14-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbaums View Post
    ...id say move the today's phase to the top and the select the phase under it so that it's more clear what mushroom phase you are looking at.
    I will definitely tinker with the layout a bit per this suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbaums View Post
    ...including box info could be helpful. material requirements +time added per mushroom.
    Hmmm....not a bad idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    How do you like your formula to calculate the current moon phase? Did you check how accurate it is?
    See https://gist.github.com/endel/dfe6bb2fbe679781948c for the original. I have not thoroughly tested the algorithm yet, probably something I should do since I plan on moving this project forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    ...What I always want to know is how many hours until the next moon phase, so I can know whether my current crop of mushrooms will have time to actually finish growing or end up with the next phase's growth benefits.
    Noted.

It may also be helpful to have an option to show growth time * 1.25 or * .75 or whatever, to account for epic yield or fast boxes.
    I actually use the high yield boxes, so I thought about throwing that in there at some point.

It might be useful to show mushrooms that just grow ok in the current moon phase, too - or put in a warning for mushrooms that don't grow well - since sometimes you may want to grow a particular mushroom right now, as long as it isn't the poor moon phase.
    Should be easy enough to implement.

Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely try and make some of these proposed features reality!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE

I have decided to go with a Node.js module called Lune to do the moon phase calculations more accurately. I looked into the math and I honestly don't have any interest in going back to that crap just to be able to calculate time until next phase. See https://www.npmjs.com/package/lune

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Niph's PG Moon app for this purpose, but it doesn't list the substrates unfortunately. Thanks for doing this one too... The more the merrier!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daguin View Post
    I use Niph's PG Moon app for this purpose, but it doesn't list the substrates unfortunately...
    Oh I was not aware there was one available. I was planning on eventually implementing a feature where I could track my box times outside the game in real time.

@Niph Is there any way I could please check out your app? I would like to avoid duplicating features if at all possible, and I'm just curious what other players have cooked up.;

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's open source, you can find it at https://github.com/dlebansais/PgMoon.

Edit: you can add comments to each mushroom, for example the substrate to use.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I slapped v0.1.1 onto my server and set up some links, so now it's available as a live script for all at:

EDIT: updated links (again, 13 Nov 2020)
    http://phasepharmer.app

@Niph I need to consult you on doing the heavier math in order to calculate the moon phase better at some point. I was looking at your algorithm and I think that's probably within my grasp.
    Last edited by SausageJavelins; 11-13-2020 at 03:48 AM.

Thread Footer