Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Group vs Solo Play

I was having a really good discussion with a guild earlier today. We were talking about current builds that allow you to solo through almost all content. Would you guys like to see more role oriented content or are you happy with playing solo? If game remains a "dps race", why even have as many combat skills as the game does (even more when deciding on combat combos)?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually prefer playing solo. And I really like the many different combat skills - I've been having great fun dabbling in different skills and trying to decide which ones I enjoy playing the most. I still haven't unlocked any of my combat skills to go past 50 and my gear is correspondingly bad, so I'm not exactly a powerful dps soloer.

If you are more of a power player, I'd say that the different skills can give you more flexibility and allow you to take advantage of vulnerabilities of different mobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not high level expert but I'd wager you could make some support builds but I'm not sure if it would be more or less beneficial than another DPS. But I do love the variety of options for combat skills. I especially love being able to use ice magic and it actually has some punch to it instead of being regulated to just a CC class.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of underlying elements here, that need to be taken into consideration. One, a lot of people have been playing a long time and have the resources to have the very best all yellow gear, completely suited to their build. Citan has more than once said that he does not intend that to be necessary to complete content. So basically, there are a lot of players wearing gear that outpaces the content we have so far--they're wearing tuxedos to a beach party.

Two, regardless of whether someone can solo content, all players have the ability use whatever skills they want. While there are a few players who have a primary mode, just about everyone is experimenting with a lot of different skills. I'm a sword/psych, unarmed/psych, archery/whatever, who decided to be a cow tank and am now creating a pigment--a mentalist pig who can either dps or go total support/heals. Meanwhile, there are so many ways to structure a situation, it's refreshing. I like to spend time figuring out group synergies AND do solo play. There's no need to stratify.

And that brings me to my final point, which is that with the way this game works, there a lot more possibilities as to how a group works together. As a cow tank, I've been amused to watch how agro functions. Right now there are several players who can top my huge taunts with blazing dps. And that's not so bad, if as a tank, you also set up good support and heals as well. Recently a lot of classes got a taunt skill, which allows the possibility of flipping the boss around like a beach ball!

If there are some groups that enjoy just mowing things down, that's fine. If there are groups who need traditional support of tank and heals, that's great. And if there are players who don't focus on group activities, that's fantastic too.

So when this discussion happens, and it always will, I'm confident in saying that Project Gorgon will defy standard game expectations. No situation should become predefined or solidified in the way so many mmos have fallen into. As players, let's not let that happen by being open to exploring all the possibilities. Moooooo!
    Last edited by Greyfyn; 01-09-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some tiem ago (few months) there was similar discussion. Ciitan the stated that reason why soem palyers cna solo most, if not all content in game is becasue tehya re over-geared. Accordign to what he said, "outdoor" countent should be doable with blue, level appropite gear. Solo dungeons shoudl be duable with pinkish gear, group dungeoins with purple gear.

Right now many players run aroudn with (almost) full yellows. Before last big update, i had max-enchanted sets for 3 diffrent builds.

Accordign to what Citan once said this effectivly mad me aroudn lv 75. In lv 60 content.

This kind of power is not ment to be achived at this point in game. After all i cant imagine anyone will bother making full set of yellow max-enchanted gear for leveling.
    Peopel ahve ti becaue lv 60 was "max" for few months now

So i wouldnt worry too much about few people being able to solo most content in game. Not only we are long way from true end-game, there will be tons of balance changes on the way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I've heard from many people that they are way over geared for the current content. I like solo and group oriented content. Hopefully not too many of the new players get over-geared before launch. Having weaker builds that can't solo everything is great for people like me who want to group up. I look forward to seeing what kind of balance all builds have with each other and all those builds with mob strength.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had trouble replacing some pieces of gear. Particularly chest pieces. And taunt specials seem too easy to get on gear, too.

But once you have a yellow, sometimes that extra ability is just better than having more of one. Usually more of one you don't need more of...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty much always solo unless I am playing with my husband then we duo. I don't really like grouping very much for a multitude of reasons. If I had IRL friends playing PG I'd be more likely to group.

As far as builds I like to find something I enjoy and stick to that. I have been doing mostly Necro/Ment but was getting as little frustrated with it which is why I took a break. I just can't think of any other combo I'd rather do right now. I'll come back probably in a month or so, as I do miss PG.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilibat View Post
    I am pretty much always solo unless I am playing with my husband then we duo. I don't really like grouping very much for a multitude of reasons. If I had IRL friends playing PG I'd be more likely to group.

As far as builds I like to find something I enjoy and stick to that. I have been doing mostly Necro/Ment but was getting as little frustrated with it which is why I took a break. I just can't think of any other combo I'd rather do right now. I'll come back probably in a month or so, as I do miss PG.
    If that is the only build you like to play, I can see why you stopped. Mentalism was nerfed hard. My hope is PG finds a balance between solo play and group play. I'm hoping the group play isn't only dungeons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritfingers View Post
    If that is the only build you like to play, I can see why you stopped. Mentalism was nerfed hard. My hope is PG finds a balance between solo play and group play. I'm hoping the group play isn't only dungeons.

It's not just that. Necro being so completely dependant on pets now, if they die that's it. You're done. Time to start whatever you are doing over from where ever you can resummon them. I just got sick of having to either suicide to get back to the sun vale zone in or having to run back. Back before the necro equipment got chjanged I could just switch to non-pet abilities and get by but since there are fewer equipment buffs for that stuff not having pets isn't viable any more. It's really not fun.
    Last edited by lilibat; 01-13-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Thread Footer