Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ErDrick View Post
    What up my glipglops!

I'm not sure where to even begin, but here goes.
    ------------
    ...sorry about that but I feel like all of this is important or I wouldn't have bothered.
    <3 this
    i would add but nothing to add you said it better than i could.
    Last edited by awol_lsd; 05-26-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ErDrick great post. Agree with all of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I support making Elites weaker and with more HP to prolong the fight, I sent a suggestion for this before, but it truly is stupid, when a mob can kill me in 3 hits. Getting so much dmg that I cannot even click the fighting abilities but just the 2 heals I have and die anyway cos the delay between when I click and the heal/armour is applied is so long.
    @ErDrick 1k health and 900 armour - how is that even possible, I have nearly half less and I am actually lvl 70 with full yellow gear -_-

Anyway @ErDrick, thanks for a great post, I agree with all the parts I read from it :-)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erthiel View Post
    I support making Elites weaker and with more HP to prolong the fight, I sent a suggestion for this before, but it truly is stupid, when a mob can kill me in 3 hits. Getting so much dmg that I cannot even click the fighting abilities but just the 2 heals I have and die anyway cos the delay between when I click and the heal/armour is applied is so long.
    @ErDrick 1k health and 900 armour - how is that even possible, I have nearly half less and I am actually lvl 70 with full yellow gear -_-

Anyway @ErDrick, thanks for a great post, I agree with all the parts I read from it :-)
    Shamanic infusion on "red" gk armor and mods for druid skills fill with bile and brambleskin that increase max hp / armor, also top tier foods.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Sudo, and pretty much every word ErD used with the exception of Welp, I'm sure I could of used something far more deserved than that.

I really don't like game mechanics that push me back to lower lvl dungeons to be under the feet of the up and comings to be honest. Must suck for them to battle bravely as a group past fog just to find some old timer bashing on endless spawns of elementals.

Never been the min max gamer that Awol and ErD and others are, my builds tend to just be some semi workable things to have some fun with whilst I grind the lvls before moving onto the next or newest thing. So I'm not overly attached to much.

Have seen how dramatically broken Bard was/is, Hammer I understand can hit 3 things for 10k or so damage, also think wolf had an issue that it could buff its damage to a stupid point.
    Were any of these actually addressed or are they to be left as is?

Still can't understand why the 2 most important things have not been added.
    1 Where is the Spider Crossbow Harness?
    2 When do I get a Harmonica (preferably with a neck rack and bard enablement) ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knife, AoEs, Performance

<Post>
    <Knife_Fighting>
    As a psycho knife killer, I welcome the damage mod changes and ability changes that made knife a lot more fun, but also more viable at higher levels. The expansion of "not looking at you" to include stuns and fears was much needed, and opens up new combo possibilities where before it was *always* the same (mes, then backstab or surprise throw). I especially love the bleed mods for DoT trauma and poison, which bring my bleed abilities up to a useful level for Venomstrike and Backstab.
    The buff for throwing knife abilities makes my heart sing, as those are my bread and butter knife damage. The damage might need a little reigning-in, but I have not tested extensively and I was not taking more than 40-60% of the kills over an archer/druid while in Gazluk Keep (with all useful mods on her suit). It's still not terribly overpowered because metal slabs are required for the throwing knives, and that seems loosely-akin to archery's fletching.
    Adding the offhand knife was a great way to introduce knife in combo with other skills with a wield requirement in the main-hand, although I have not seen any with skill wield requirements (they were all no wield) and they do not seem to be dropping on Gazluk Keep mobs aside from a select few bosses. This means that unless you are lvl 1 Knife, the offhand knives are not viable at the moment since you cannot get the full whack of offhand mods necessary for a build.
    </ Knife_Fighting>

<AoE_Damage>
    I am guilty of at least partaking a few times in the Kur AoE farming gig (although I never did so when anyone else was out there) and Knife does have an AoE, That being said, I can see where a diminishing return on damage for AoEs is necessary or one risks everything high levels camping low dungeons and areas using these attacks, leaving little to hunt for the lowbies. Personally, I never really use burst attacks on more than 3-5 mobs, and its usually just to grab their attention away from a group-mate about to get toasted. Sure you will have complainers, but I think that is a necessary growing pain for a game in development.
    </ AoE_Damage>

<Performance>
    Serbule still seems bad during peak times, but I have noticed a decrease in bottlenecks and increased response time during these times of server stress. Oddly, even though the peak times seem better, there is still a little stuttering even with <120 players logged in. This is somewhat perplexing but since I am not privy to the inner workings of the server it would be inappropriate to comment much further. Keep the performance fixes and changes coming, because they seem to be working.
    </ Performance>
    </ Post>

Spoiler Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent feedback Erdrick! Great job.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @ErDrick I find myself agreeing with a lot of what you said and you do point out some big problems, but some things I would disagree with. I feel like we have very different perspectives about issues since I'd call myself a tank, and it's interesting to get your view point.

- AoE Changes
    I would disagree that AoE isn't very helpful outside of farming/grinding or forced situations, as I feel like there are many times where you can try to speed things up in dungeon runs or such by pulling more than one mob if you know you can handle it, or maybe just pulling a couple of mobs while leveling since you know you can handle two mobs. I definitely agree that the game has situations which forces you to fight many enemies at once, which is fine, but I do think the AoE nerf should be slightly changed because more mobs actually start to make AoE worse than just single target which feels really backwards.

-Archery Changes
    I'm not an archery main, but I agree. Archery's damage has honestly never seemed that great, and I feel like this nerf is mostly a result of people spreading around the idea that Archery is super strong or something. I never understood it, but for the longest time I keep hearing people talk about how strong Archery is when in reality it doesn't seem OP or anything. I think this archery nerf is just a case of the skill being popular rather than actually being strong which I don't think is fair. However, if everything is going to have its damage lowered the same way like it's been hinted at, then I guess archery was just hit with the nerf first and it'll balance itself out later.

-DoT
    I do think DoT's are a bit on the weak side, but they show a lot of potential! I think that a Knife fighting DoT based build could easily have the best DPS over a long period of time, but enemies dying too quickly does kind of put a hamper on it. It's hard to use in a group scenario, but if you pull more mobs then DoT's do get a bit better, especially after the AoE changes.

-Rage reduction
    Yes I agree, rage reduction skills can't keep up with a full party. That doesn't mean they're useless though, as I have seen some players with strong rage reduction and good timing lower the enemy's rage just as they're using their rage attack, which cancels it. When a player can do this with bosses it's excellent... but it's quite hard to do (Especially with any kind of lag) and I do think the system could be a bit better.

-Heals
    Now this one I do disagree with. I think healing can be very helpful! Healing can be a huge life saver in dungeons and a good healer can make a dungeon go much smoother! Not only that, but having even just a semi-decent healer around can make a dungeon run much faster by removing down time if the puller can constantly pull. I think one big thing to note though is that typically single target heals are very ineffective at lengthening's one's life span unless if they're very tanky. A heal on a strong tank could keep them alive for another 20 seconds, but could only keep a DPS alive for another 3. Another thing to note is that heals in this game are limited by cooldown rather than mana/healing rate like in other games, so even though you might not think an extra 3 seconds is much, it could let other heals come off cooldown and end up turning into another 10 seconds of extra life or even an infinite loop quite easily.

-Crowd Control
    Some crowd control, like Ice Magic's AoE Roots, are incredibly strong in group play. In fact I would say it's OP because as a tank, you can taunt a rooted enemy and then just back away which essentially reduces that mob's damage to 0! Mez on the other hand, is in a weird spot. A well coordinated mez where you know none of your team mates will break it is extremely useful, but trying to use it in the middle of a fight or without communication is basically impossible. I don't think Mez should be unbreakable for 5 seconds, as that would just turn it into a 5 second stun which is ridiculously strong, but some brief period of unbreakability like 2 seconds would be enough for players to realize they should switch targets. Either that or mezzed targets should take less damage.

-Incoming damage/Tanking/Clear Speed
    Now this is a big topic, especially as a player who looks at tank builds all the time. Damage from mobs IS high, especially when elites from Gazluk Keep seem to do just as much damage as bosses. The thing is that the answer to surviving against these enemies isn't more health or armor, it's getting more mitigation (Although armor kind of counts for that). Additional health is just an extra buffer before you die, and armor is the same although it gives you a little bit of direct mitigation for the start of the fight. More mitigation not only increases your survivability, but it also makes things like heals much better because heals are based on flat amounts (A 200hp heal basically acts like 400hp if you negate half damage).
    The issue I find though is that there's two kinds of mitigation, flat and percentage. Now flat is good when fighting weaker things because it can reduce damage to 0, but against big mobs like Gazluk ones it's extremely ineffective because mobs do so much damage! A skill stacking all the flat mitigation mods on it typically gets around 30-50 flat mitigation, which isn't enough to be noticeable with the 200-300 damage hits you take at Gazluk, and most flat mitigation is only for a few damage types too! This means unless you have a huge amount AND you have a support character helping you (Ex. A battle chem with thick skin giving you more) it's not going to reduce damage by much. On the other hand, percentage based mitigation is excellent in Gazluk keep, because it reduces a ton of damage due to the high amount of damage. Just using the 20% fire resist meditation reduces the damage you take from Elite Troopers by a huge amount, more than any non-fire magic build could even get close to with flat mitigation. This is also why unarmed tanking is so effective, because it works with percentages, not flat amounts.
    My suggestion to the devs would be to improve how flat damage reduction mods scale (Surely 6 physical mitigation on a mod isn't enough at level 70! with mobs hitting for 200!) and consider adding more percentage based mitigation options. I do know there's the worry of making a character with so much flat mitigation they become invincible, but if every tank could get a bit of good flat mitigation and good percentage based then they would be a lot stronger without the worry of being invincible due to how the mitigation formula works (Flat first, then %). Also maybe some % elemental resist on gear pieces would be nice.

I feel like we have very different opinions on tanking in general, as I would argue tanking is very helpful and a big reason why dungeon runs can go much faster. A competent tank can make a dungeon run go much faster than adding more damage, because they can pull more mobs more reliably and with less downtime. I've had some great Gazluk Keep runs where I've reached Beakhorse by the time the first room repopped, so the respawn timer isn't nearly as harsh as you seem to make it out to be (If you have a good tank). I do think the repop mechanic is pretty dumb though so I agree with you with that. AoE taunts are helpful (Although I wish there were more!), and players can definitely pull more than just one mob at a time consistently! This makes AoE builds better, sustained DPS builds better (Like DoT builds) and healers better, and it's all faster too! I think Citan should give more love to weaker tank skills, but at the very least I believe players should get into the habit of trying to pull two or three mobs at once if they want to call themselves a "Tank" and to avoid downtime between pulls.

I do think the taunt skills need more love in the game's current state, as I find that it's very difficult to pull aggro from higher DPS players without investing very heavily into taunt bonuses, and I believe many taunt skills simply can't keep up. This is probably a result of damage being higher than Citan expected, and if damage is getting lowered over time it will make taunting easier, but I do agree that some skills need to have their taunt bonuses boosted. However, I would highly disagree with your suggestion to remove % based taunt bonuses, as it's those exact bonuses that make holding aggro much easier with some builds than others! The thing about % based taunt bonuses is that they also multiply flat taunt, which is what makes shield so helpful for taunting things when you combine take the lead with something that applies flat taunt. I think that other tank skills either need much more flat taunt, or their own little % based bonuses. Something like Deer can only taunt for around 2500 while something combined with take the lead's % bonus can potentially taunt for over 12k even before damage!

-Reducing mob damage and buffing health
    Now this is a really huge change, and while I'm interested in it, I don't think mob damage should be halved currently, not with how mitigation works currently. If you were to halve damage, it would be very easy to reduce damage to near 0 so you could live forever with some cantrip healing or a dedicated healer. Now if this big change also makes the game more interesting, then sure! But halving damage right now isn't a good idea if you ask me. You'd need to make a lot of other changes before a change that big.

-Respawns
    I totally agree. Respawns in dungeons are pretty ridiculous and unforgiving! Although I think the timer is a lot more lenient than you think, but that also depends on the area and what your plans are. Backtracking through an already cleared area is so risky because of the sudden repop, and some areas like in Labyrinth make it very risky to go through the side branches because you risk wasting too much time. I think things respawning a few at a time would be a nice change (Enough so a good party could handle it, but a single player can't farm). It would also be nice if there was some kind of warning too so it wasn't so sudden, like if respawning mobs wouldn't aggro onto players for 5-10 seconds on respawn (But would attack if you started attacking them). That would give you some time to run away at least.

Sorry for the huge wall of text, but a wall of text must be answered with another! I do like some of your suggestions, but I do disagree with some of the ideas you have as well. Your post has given me a new perspective to view dungeon running which is quite interesting and I thank you for that! Please let me know what you think of what I said!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tanks should have to invest in taunt bonuses. Well geared DPS players need to dial it back.

The problem I see in some of the thinking is that it disregards group interaction. DPS should be aware of their threat, pulling aggro, and breaking CC.

People want to burn through dungeons, but group content should be challenging beyond mobs having bigger health and more damage. The complaints about taunts not overpowering well geared DPS tells me people expect skills to do their job in a vacuum. Group play doesn't exist in a vacuum but we're discussing skill tuning and group balance like they do. People are okay with the nerfs as long as they can find some other way to burn through stuff as fast. That's not how it should be.

I agree mez breaking should be shorter. LotRO, as an example of a CC heavy game, has short safety timers on mez and root that are about 2 seconds. It's enough to allow for an "auto attack" or bad timing for an attack that hits when the mez does, but not so long as it ends up being a stun + mez combo like Yaffy pointed out. CC and debuffs should be required overall or every encounter will always be a dps race.

With regards to high levels being driven to low level zones. If that happens then there should be a drop nerf to prevent farming trivial con mobs. I hate that solution because it stratifies content and contributes to zone abandonment. But if high level characters are going to exploit level mechanics for easy farming then that is necessary. Gray con mobs shouldn't drop items. Those items should be found on appropriately conned enemies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps there should be a threat meter for dps to keep an eye on to know when they are pulling too close to the tanks current threat. Perhaps the party interface should also have a way to set a player as a tank so everyone else can know who the tank is and follow behind, and also track on the threat meter where the tanks current threat is and play accordingly..... there are many improvements both in gameplay, mechanics, and user interface that could go a long way into making group content much more enjoyable.

Thread Footer