Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alleryn View Post
    I agree. What would make sense to me is the person doing the crafting pays in councils for the mats. Then the other person pays the crafter for the finished product. This way there is no chance to scam.
    That is the fairest way to make the deal work. The only problem is the economy in PG is so raw, it's hard to say what the value of mats are and what the value of a finished product is.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who pretends 'roleplay' means running off with someone's stuff without consent - isn't a roleplayer. They're an asshat.

Roleplaying requires active, enthusiastic consent. Presence is not consent.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    Anyone who pretends 'roleplay' means running off with someone's stuff without consent - isn't a roleplayer. They're an asshat.

Roleplaying requires active, enthusiastic consent. Presence is not consent.
    Tell that to the icon that appears on my screen telling me i forgot the concept of the number three! I didn't consent to that! Well... i suppose i shouldn't have died

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grobyddonot View Post
    Yeah, you discribe a table D&D, not a videogame. In a videogame you don't describe what you're doing, you're just doing it and that's the roleplay. Hell this is what the entire 3D enviroment is for, skip the talking, go straight to doing.

If I have to talk, describe and write down stuff to actually roleplay in a videogame, why do I need a videogame? I can do that by playing any RPG irl, per skype, etc.
    All roleplaying, whether around a tabletop, or on a screen, is telling a story. You might only be telling it to yourself, or to whoever you're doing it with, but you're still telling a story.

If you were an actual roleplayer, and not just using it as an excuse to justify an action that should not be taking place, you'd know that.

Again, you need cooperation to do any kind of roleplay. For instance, lets say you're playing an assassin. If you want to try to kill somebody, you have to either type out the action, or the person you're trying to kill has to either meet you in the PVP dungeon, or drink pvp punch. If you don't have cooperation on the typing out the action, they can ignore you completely, and nothing was accomplished. If you don't have cooperation on the actual stabbing in game, well, you can't exactly stab them now can you?

Cooperation is absolutely essential to any kind of roleplay in or out of game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khariel View Post
    All roleplaying, whether around a tabletop, or on a screen, is telling a story. You might only be telling it to yourself, or to whoever you're doing it with, but you're still telling a story.

If you were an actual roleplayer, and not just using it as an excuse to justify an action that should not be taking place, you'd know that.

Again, you need cooperation to do any kind of roleplay. For instance, lets say you're playing an assassin. If you want to try to kill somebody, you have to either type out the action, or the person you're trying to kill has to either meet you in the PVP dungeon, or drink pvp punch. If you don't have cooperation on the typing out the action, they can ignore you completely, and nothing was accomplished. If you don't have cooperation on the actual stabbing in game, well, you can't exactly stab them now can you?

Cooperation is absolutely essential to any kind of roleplay in or out of game.
    If I want to roleplay an Assasin or PvP, I go and play a PvP online game, PvP MMO or a MOBA.

I agree with cooperation in roleplaying, it makes roleplaying so much better, but it's not a must. You can still tell the story by yourself to yourself, just as you said.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back and re read the OP since this whole thread seems to be moving towards a RP reasoning behind the scam. Since some people can't let this go I will say this. If people can play evil characters and can scam at will the game should be set up with a punishment system (jail, etc). I don't know of any law abiding society where you can be evil with no consequence - role playing or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritfingers View Post
    I went back and re read the OP since this whole thread seems to be moving towards a RP reasoning behind the scam. Since some people can't let this go I will say this. If people can play evil characters and can scam at will the game should be set up with a punishment system (jail, etc). I don't know of any law abiding society where you can be evil with no consequence - role playing or not.
    I agree completely.

And, if you can be in character and steal from somebody without their consent, then whoever is roleplaying the local constabulary should be able to throw you into the jail without yours. Assuming there aren't guards who would do that.

Can't have it both ways.

Other games have had crime systems that will flag you if you break the law, whether it's stabbing people, or picking pockets. The in game guards would then turn on you. And you might be able to take one or two, maybe even three... but not 20.

So, if we are to permit in character scams that actually scam people, and don't require active willing participation, then we need guards who will beat down the thief, lock them up, and return the stolen goods. Also without active willing participation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khariel View Post
    I agree completely.

And, if you can be in character and steal from somebody without their consent, then whoever is roleplaying the local constabulary should be able to throw you into the jail without yours. Assuming there aren't guards who would do that.

Can't have it both ways.

Other games have had crime systems that will flag you if you break the law, whether it's stabbing people, or picking pockets. The in game guards would then turn on you. And you might be able to take one or two, maybe even three... but not 20.

So, if we are to permit in character scams that actually scam people, and don't require active willing participation, then we need guards who will beat down the thief, lock them up, and return the stolen goods. Also without active willing participation.
    Yes, totally. But first, you have to catch the thief, second you have to make sure the goods were not sold/wasted/spent/whatsoever. Otherwise, jail time only if you catched the thief while hes flagged as criminal. Usually no more than 15 minutes after commiting a crime tho, so good luck. Cause you can't really put someone, whos not there, in the jail , and you can't return something that doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Grobyddonot; 02-02-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grobyddonot View Post
    Yes, totally. But first, you have to catch the thief, second you have to make sure the goods were not sold/wasted/spent/whatsoever. Otherwise, jail time only if you catched the thief while hes flagged as criminal. Usually no more than 15 minutes after commiting a crime tho, so good luck. Cause you can't really put someone, whos not there, in the jail , and you can't return something that doesn't exist.

What I'm getting at, is that unless there is a system in place to deal with the behavior in game beyond simply shunning the scammer, the behavior should not be allowed by any standards, in or out of character.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nobody in the real world goes to jail for the kind of scamming outlined by the OP. If someone comes up to you and tells you they'll gladly take the brocolli you're carrying home from the grocery store, cook it up, and bring it back to you, sure they've technically entered into a verbal contract with you.

Gut if you hand over the said broccoli, never see the guy again, and try to get recompense through the court system, chances are you're not gonna have a lot of luck.

Admittedly this is an online game, and with chat logs it's probably easier to enforce that kind of thing than it would be in the real world, but i'm on the side that people should have some common sense. If they get scammed like that, they earn a lesson in protecting their own interests and not trusting people blindly.

Thread Footer