Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hello,

I used to use the very first attempt to Linux launcher, then the next one "new" one, but now with the last bardish update, i can't manage to play again (i didn't try to play for 2-3 months i think).

So i did at first

PATCHER_LAUNCHER_VERSION = 5
    to PATCHER_LAUNCHER_VERSION = 6

without success.

Then i did the other line with URL linux, without success.

Then i did both together, with even less success.

I don't understand this part :

So I was looking at the patcher.py file, and noticed a URL
    URL_PATCHER_DOWNLOAD = "https://ipfs.io/ipns/QmZ86ow1byeyhNRJEatWxGPJKcnQKG7s51MtbHdxxUddTH/Software/Python/pglauncher/pglauncher"
    I grabbed the file, executed it, and it began downloading file chunks for the game. After a short while it stopped with this error:
    What should i do ?

Thanks for support.

Thanks,

Now i'm downloading the update. I didn't see at first your message with the link to the new pglauncher file, as it's in the middle of page*2.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shardragon View Post
    Tagamogi: Actually it's just a runnable ZIP-file, no black magic involved
    So if want to use the self-updating launcher like the previous versions you can rename and extract that file and run the `project-gorgon` file within OR (simpler) just download the GIT snapshots from the GitLab page (https://gitlab.com/alexander255/proj...rchive.tar.bz2). The auto-updater will not work in any of these cases through.
    Thanks for the explanations! This is good information to have. I still think runnable ZIP files could be magic but a little bit of magic involved in launching the game may be a good thing.

Also, I really appreciate you continuing to maintain the launcher, and your fast responses to issues like this. Thank you!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I somehow cant get the "pglauncher"-file executeable. The option unticks itself everytime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, the file had been accidentally removed. It should work again now, sorry for the inconvinience!
    It was? I had no trouble downloading it.

What option are you referring to?
    I cant set the downloaded file to run as a program, as described in the installation guide.

Even "chmod a+x" won't fix it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely there now, so whatever…
    Agreed.
    (The website is quite slow though)

Is the file by any chance on an FAT32, EXFAT or NTFS volume (or anything else Windows-eyy)? Those don't support file permissions and the result of that sounds ratter similar to what you describe.
    No...wait...yes...
    I'm such a noob...

Now it's working.
    But in which directory are the files downloaded into?

Thank you very much!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear

The download directory is ~/.local/games/project-gorgon and can currently only be changed using the command-line or by setting an environment variable.
    Do you think it would make sense to add an option for this in the UI?
    Either that or let it download everything to the python-scripts current location.
    Well. thats what i expected it to do. I re-formatted a partition on my HDD only to see it getting downloaded onto my main-partition, on my SSD.
    Last edited by Intro; 06-12-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a workaround you can create/edit the ~/.pam_environment file in your home directory and add a line like this:

Then log out and back in – could be easier I suppose.
    Next time, when I reinstall the game. I wont tamper around now.

Never touch a running system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having problems with opening the file pglauncher. The error message is as follows:

"The file you opened has some invalid characters. If you continue editing this file you could corrupt this document.
    You can also choose another character encoding and try again."
    The current encoding is set to 'Current Locale (UTF-8)'

Would anyone be able to help with this problem?
    Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Somniare!

It sounds like you tried to open the launcher file in a text editor (like Pluma, Gedit, KWrite, Mousepad, …). As the pglauncher file is an executable Python application, that will not work.

To launch the file please right-click it in your file manager and select Properties. Then, in the Permissions tab, make sure that the Mark file as executable box is checked. Doube-clicking on the launcher file should then ask you whether to View or Run the file: Choose Run and it should work.
    This is also described in more detail here: https://forum.projectgorgon.com/show...ull=1#post1728.

If you still cannot get it to work, please respond with more specific information on the exact operating system & version you are using and we'll take it from there.

Cheers!
    Thanks for your help ShardDragon; although I had already gone through the permissions as detailed in your instruction post, the system was still not coming up with the view/run dialogue box. As someone quite unfamiliar with linux I didn't realise this - but your post telling me that it was trying to read the file rather than run it was very helpful - I have now managed to run it through the terminal.

Thank you!

Thread Footer