Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lab is easier than GK to solo for me. I'm just patient with beetles, don't nuke them hard.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I don't think you can force people to group in dungeons unless the dungeon is at max level, otherwise you just have higher level players facerolling the dungeon by themselves...who could spoil the experience for someone trying to do the dungeon at level"

You can't force people to group in a dungeon, but you can force them to go to the dungeon, and that's half the battle. When I go to a lower level dungeon, I switch to whatever skills are most level appropriate; I have three builds, one level 75/75, one level 50/50, the other level 25/25. It's just as likely a high level player switches to a level-appropriate build and joins a group as steamrolling the dungeon. And, for the record, If I wanted to steamroll a level 50 dungeon, like we have been discussing, I would prefer to do it in a group with level other 50 players rather than alone as a level 75; it would make it go much faster in a group, and the players may enjoy the power leveling.

"I've been thinking about my recent Winter Nexus experiences. My friend and I started duoing there...there were one or two other people in the dungeon but we were working on different parts of the dungeon and didn't really run into each other much."

You are lucky you have a friend to play with; if you didn't, maybe you would have approached the other people to group?

"... zoned into the Nexus and there were other people there. Lots of people. For both of us, our immediate reaction was to start wondering if we should go somewhere else. ..."

That to me, seems askew. Why not ask what they were doing, try to join up with them? I always like a full zone and playing with others. That seems weird to me to want to leave because the zone was populated.

"...while I appreciate the free stomach and other goodies, I'd really rather kill my own wolves. I suspect the experience wasn't that fun for them either - if you are just killing everything in your way without even bothering to stop and loot, what's the point?"

If you are worried about competition over mobs, well, you're going to hate the steam launch.

"...Now if there had been at-level groups regularly running the Winter Nexus, I might have tried one eventually... Which goes back to the initial problem of how to make a non-max level dungeon attractive. I don't really have a good answer... I don't know."

Right now, the problem is there isn't a big enough population for there to be regular at-level groups running any dungeons .

"An adjustment in spawn rates to the number of players around would also make things more exciting"

This, to me, is instancing and a reason I would quit playing, as much as that would suck.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roekai View Post
    You can't force people to group in a dungeon, but you can force them to go to the dungeon, and that's half the battle. When I go to a lower level dungeon, I switch to whatever skills are most level appropriate; I have three builds, one level 75/75, one level 50/50, the other level 25/25. It's just as likely a high level player switches to a level-appropriate build and joins a group as steamrolling the dungeon. And, for the record, If I wanted to steamroll a level 50 dungeon, like we have been discussing, I would prefer to do it in a group with level other 50 players rather than alone as a level 75; it would make it go much faster in a group, and the players may enjoy the power leveling.
    I'd cynically assume that most people would pick whatever takes the least time and effort, in particular if it involves something they perceive as a repetitive chore, e.g. if the only way to get more diamonds was to go the bottom of the yeti cave and they'd have to do it every couple weeks in order to do the content they actually want to do.

You are right that PG players generally seem rather social, so I'd expect a fair number of level 75 folks to be happy to let lower levels tag along, and I'd expect a lot of lower levels to be happy to do so. To me, following along and looting stuff someone else killed sounds super boring though.

You are lucky you have a friend to play with; if you didn't, maybe you would have approached the other people to group?
    Unlikely. I played for over a year before my friend came back to the game, and the only time I recall grouping then was to rescue an enterprising newbie who had given Elmetaph the wrong coordinates and ended up in Rahu when trying to reach Serbule from Gazluk. There was stuff in the game I wanted and couldn't get by myself - ice magic and those Winter Nexus recipes come to mind - but I figured I'd eventually be able to get them through my own efforts and in the meantime I had plenty of other stuff I could do.

I think part of it was just that it never felt there were people my level. Most of the population seemed at max level when I started, and I never quite caught up, especially since my general playstyle involves switching combat skills whenever I get close to max in one set of skills.

That to me, seems askew. Why not ask what they were doing, try to join up with them? I always like a full zone and playing with others. That seems weird to me to want to leave because the zone was populated.
    Well, in general I'm a highly antisocial person who possibly shouldn't play multi-player games. My friend is less antisocial, but in this particular case we'd spent a lot of time planning out our 2-person ogre strategy and we didn't want other people either making it too easy or dragging us down.

We've grouped up with other people on occasion when we were just in a dungeon to kill random stuff and while it's been ok, it's always felt slightly awkward to me. My friend and I communicate via Discord, so if someone else joins, we get to type and slow down. ( Technically, we could also spend some time trying to find a common Discord server, but that seems like a lot of effort for a random stranger who may only be grouped with us for 30 minutes.) We've also had some minor issues with needing to change our loot rules. It's nothing that can't be overcome, but if we already have a setup that works great, why fiddle with it? Which is of course where the idea of forcing people to group up comes in...

I realize my opposition to grouping is rather counterproductive. In WoW, I spent years playing with some very good friends whom I all met by saying "oh, why not" to a level 10 pickup group. The friend I am playing with now is from my EQ days when my husband found him in another random pickup group. So, objectively, grouping with random strangers can work out great but ... it still doesn't make me want to do it.

I'm rather on the far end of the anti-grouping spectrum, so I don't know if my feelings are generally applicable, but it may be worth noting that the reason I quit EQ for WoW was very much that I was loathing EQ for forcing me to group for every single thing I wanted to try.

Anyway, I think it does make sense to have incentives and rewards for grouping. I'm just objecting to the "forcing" idea. In my opinion, people should want to group because it's fun and rewarding, not because the alternative is not being able to do anything worthwhile in the game.

If you are worried about competition over mobs, well, you're going to hate the steam launch.
    I know I will. It's ok, I know we need them to keep the game running.

"An adjustment in spawn rates to the number of players around would also make things more exciting"

This, to me, is instancing and a reason I would quit playing, as much as that would suck.
    Even if it's just stuff like spawning mobs faster, so there is enough to keep 3 groups instead of 2 occupied in the same area?

I personally like the idea of being able to do something with 0-10 other people and still have the content be roughly equally challenging and rewarding. It may not be practically obtainable since the more people you add, the more level, gear and skill varies, but I really hate scenarios where a game tells me "oh, you can't do this content because you only have 5 people instead of 6" or "oh you can't do this because the friend you want to group with is a rogue instead of a cleric."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagamogi View Post
    Even if it's just stuff like spawning mobs faster, so there is enough to keep 3 groups instead of 2 occupied in the same area?

I personally like the idea of being able to do something with 0-10 other people and still have the content be roughly equally challenging and rewarding. It may not be practically obtainable since the more people you add, the more level, gear and skill varies, but I really hate scenarios where a game tells me "oh, you can't do this content because you only have 5 people instead of 6" or "oh you can't do this because the friend you want to group with is a rogue instead of a cleric."
    any sort of adjustment, even in the slightest way would cause me to cease playing forever.

the world is static and the players are the variable; the world is not the variable, there are not two variables, there is one variable. otherwise, fuck it all to hell.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm. You could argue that the world is already adjusting itself by spawning mobs faster if players bury them. Are you ok with that because that is based on actual player actions rather than just a certain number of players being in the area? What if respawn rates were based on how fast mobs in the area were getting killed?

Sorry if my questions sound dumb, I'm trying to wrap my mind properly around the concept. I think I get part of it since I don't like single player games that constantly scale either - there doesn't seem to me much point in leveling up if the mobs just get harder. So, in this case, there's not much point in bringing more people since the game would try to present the same experience to you regardless? Making the world seem less real? Eliminating the fun of getting the right people into your group?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grouping is kind of awkward right now, but you get less xp going on your own.

Not just spillover.

So there's no reason not to group, even if the newbie is just soloing adds on the side or stripping the corpses. It's all xp.

Thread Footer