Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxlazr View Post
    Only two are from bosses, the rest are just juices so you know what you're signing up for; the deer curse is ridiculously easy to get rid of, given the solution to your problem is right outside of the dungeon & defeating the boss to decurse rarely seems like something that'll ever happen.

I apologise for the lack of clarity there, though. They're "technically" curses, but right now they just feel like arbitrary restrictions for skill-sets, given if you want to play a pig, you'll likely need to pay ~4000 gold for some unpig juice to decurse, then wait 3 hours to interact with animal town every now and then, whereas the cow curse was initially "oh crap I'm a cow, better find out how to deal with this"

Either way there's a lot of idle potential there that's not being tapped into. Normally I'd shrug it off as alpha-testing but at this stage I kinda feel like the status-quo is going to continue to hang around forever; it's been 3 years and all you have to do to play around a "curse" is spend some gold and afk for awhile, or run over to a cave and one-shot a boss.

Animal town was a neat addition, but it almost feels contrary to the "sudden, horrific transformation".

Sorry it's all a little peculiar. It's always a point of discussion in-game, time and time again for years, and it'd be really nice to know what the plans are going forward so we can figure out what to do with our characters.
    As you already said, it's been a few years in ALPHA. Usually players aren't involved in this early of development and it's just something you'll need to wait on as we don't have anything new to announce at this time. It's not as if it's been a few years post launch. Just hang in there. If you're bored with them then focus your game time elsewhere until we have more to announce or until those changes are actually in game.

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
    I still say it makes most sense for there to be NPCs that have a pooled benefit. So that for Marna not liking you, there's an animal-friendly NPC that'll take pity on you (perhaps unlockable or bribable) to gain access to that.

Right now, not even counting the storage, it's still smarter to go human(oid) before going animal.
    This is one of the reasons that they are considered curses. There's always going to be drawbacks to these cursed animal forms, if there weren't then they wouldn't really be curses.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now, there's just no real way around it. The animal NPCs are harder to get favor with, way out in BFE, and sometimes under water (looking at you, suspicious cow!)

It's already a huge curse to lose one (or more) skills because they don't work as an animal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvonis View Post
    As you already said, it's been a few years in ALPHA. Usually players aren't involved in this early of development and it's just something you'll need to wait on as we don't have anything new to announce at this time. It's not as if it's been a few years post launch. Just hang in there. If you're bored with them then focus your game time elsewhere until we have more to announce or until those changes are actually in game.
    Eh, "Alpha" development seems to be the way of things these days. Throw enough money at a kickstarter and you're in; as simple as that. In my experience, I always found it easier to just release content and fix it on the live servers than thoroughly test it myself; it's much easier to find bugs when you've got a community of people testing them. If anything, I'd expect development to slow down significantly post-launch, but that's neither here nor there.

It just feels like animal forms have always been a heated discussion point, and inevitably we end up with half-measures that aren't particularly fun. For example, much earlier on I recall animal forms potentially being permanent beyond level 50 - okay, great; you've time to test it out, then commit to a form forever. Alts gain a bit more value, and the restrictions are enforced and experienced. You make a choice, you live with the consequences.

As it stands, it's just continuously been a balancing act - you need to plan out your interactions, figure out how much of X item you need for favour with Y NPC while in human form, how much gold you'll need to train Z skills, figure out if it's worth decursing to vendor items to Joeh, because you'll need that cash to train new skills, and so on. It's just unnecessary logistics gating skills.

I'm not saying there's a best course of action, but merely that, as it stands, it's just a frustrating mess more often than not, and new features continuously contribute to the ambiguity of what playing an animal form entails (I.e. the storage issue), so some clarification and design perspective would go a long way.
    I can't say I expect anything to happen in the immediate, or even distant future - hell, if anything it doesn't make sense to commit a lot of time to content a minority of players will appreciate - but some clarity wouldn't go amiss, even if it's just PR.

At any-rate, it's difficult to justify going back and trying out new low-level zones with the current character development requiring so much time to be pooled into a single character; at the very least it'd be good to see some incentives to play alts, and I figured animal forms being involved in some capacity would be an interesting way to do it.

Regardless, when it comes down to it it's your guys game, and while I can make suggestions and bug reports, at the end of the day I'm more interested in seeing the product you come up with.

Thread Footer