Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Animal form and soulmates

Would it be possible to allow NPCs to interact with players in animal form, once they reach the "Soulmate" level? It would add incentive to become soulmates with as many NPC's as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either that or animals need a few more NPCs to talk to. I love animal town but it doesn't contain everything needed to move out there and also unless Enter the Light gives you different options Serb will always be homebase. Right now most of the major NPCs in serb won't talk to animals. I love the concept but it makes full time animal nearly impossible, imo.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I don't think it makes sense to "unlock" an NPC after it reaches Soulmates, because that requires you to NOT be an animal for a long time before you can then be an animal. The conceit of most animal forms is that these are curses -- sudden, horrific transformations. (And in many cases they really are sudden and undesired, such as when you fail to defeat Maronesa and find yourself turned into a cow.) So I don't want to give extra benefits to people who do lots of legwork beforehand. Unlocking things as an animal should be done in animal form. But there will definitely be more animal-form NPCs -- and animal-friendly NPCs -- over time.

Also, remember there will be more travel options in the future. The way Enter the Light works is temporary -- it won't always be a magical transport to the newbie town. I've left it that way until we have mounts and some of the other travel tools that are planned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense, I can't wait to see what is coming in the future for animal forms. I often forget that there are other travel options coming along, will be interesting to see.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Citan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Citan

Per the above, are there any plans to lock localised storage for animals? I.e. the bookcase in Serb - you can access Marna's storage and such as-is and I find that largely just pushes staying out of animal form further.

Somewhat related, but are there plans for animal forms to actually become curses down the road? The cow-curse is the only one right now - and it's fairly trivial to get rid of it; it doesn't really feel like you've earned your freedom anymore. I wager that pig form at least will be an actual curse, but it's been years now and it's still just a hindrance to pick up the various juices instead of activity working around the downsides; we're still in half-measure territory - playing an animal doesn't feel like a curse, rather it just feels like skillsets gated behind tedious busywork.

It's pretty interesting that people get so worked up about animal forms, and I think PG is on to something interesting here, but I'd really like to see something happen to rock the boat.

As an aside, though somewhat relevant - Do you think curses will ever be reworked? A lot of the time getting decursed usually just means asking for help - some curses being a bit more complex than that would be fun, in my opinion, so you actually have to work with the consequences of your failure towards a solution, rather than just asking for a zerg to help you out (i.e. something akin to the Harry the Wolf solution for cows - something to work towards).

Also, any updates on potentially removing deer form from druids?

Sorry for poking with questions >_>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now you can max out storage with whatever anti-animal vendor as humanoid, then animal-up and access that storage from the bookshelf. I'm not sure whether that's going to stay in or not, however.

Also, seconding Oxlazr's question about deer/druids.

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxlazr View Post
    @Citan

Per the above, are there any plans to lock localised storage for animals? I.e. the bookcase in Serb - you can access Marna's storage and such as-is and I find that largely just pushes staying out of animal form further.

Somewhat related, but are there plans for animal forms to actually become curses down the road? The cow-curse is the only one right now - and it's fairly trivial to get rid of it; it doesn't really feel like you've earned your freedom anymore. I wager that pig form at least will be an actual curse, but it's been years now and it's still just a hindrance to pick up the various juices instead of activity working around the downsides; we're still in half-measure territory - playing an animal doesn't feel like a curse, rather it just feels like skillsets gated behind tedious busywork.

It's pretty interesting that people get so worked up about animal forms, and I think PG is on to something interesting here, but I'd really like to see something happen to rock the boat.

As an aside, though somewhat relevant - Do you think curses will ever be reworked? A lot of the time getting decursed usually just means asking for help - some curses being a bit more complex than that would be fun, in my opinion, so you actually have to work with the consequences of your failure towards a solution, rather than just asking for a zerg to help you out (i.e. something akin to the Harry the Wolf solution for cows - something to work towards).

Also, any updates on potentially removing deer form from druids?

Sorry for poking with questions >_>
    They're all curses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvonis View Post
    They're all curses.
    Only two are from bosses, the rest are just juices so you know what you're signing up for; the deer curse is ridiculously easy to get rid of, given the solution to your problem is right outside of the dungeon & defeating the boss to decurse rarely seems like something that'll ever happen.

I apologise for the lack of clarity there, though. They're "technically" curses, but right now they just feel like arbitrary restrictions for skill-sets, given if you want to play a pig, you'll likely need to pay ~4000 gold for some unpig juice to decurse, then wait 3 hours to interact with animal town every now and then, whereas the cow curse was initially "oh crap I'm a cow, better find out how to deal with this"

Either way there's a lot of idle potential there that's not being tapped into. Normally I'd shrug it off as alpha-testing but at this stage I kinda feel like the status-quo is going to continue to hang around forever; it's been 3 years and all you have to do to play around a "curse" is spend some gold and afk for awhile, or run over to a cave and one-shot a boss.

Animal town was a neat addition, but it almost feels contrary to the "sudden, horrific transformation".

Sorry it's all a little peculiar. It's always a point of discussion in-game, time and time again for years, and it'd be really nice to know what the plans are going forward so we can figure out what to do with our characters.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still say it makes most sense for there to be NPCs that have a pooled benefit. So that for Marna not liking you, there's an animal-friendly NPC that'll take pity on you (perhaps unlockable or bribable) to gain access to that.

Right now, not even counting the storage, it's still smarter to go human(oid) before going animal.

Thread Footer