Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screen freezes every few seconds

After the first 6-8 hours I feel that I am almost in love with this game. The only thing that hinders me doing this is that screen freezes every 3-6 seconds for 0.5 second which makes navigating a pain in the ass (esecially when you turn, which tend to happen a lot in games like this...). It does not only happen in the starting city but also further from the city. It has nothing to do with the graphics settings since the same happens if I turn the graphics to BAD. I have the in-game FPS meter on, it never shows 0 FPS, it just does not realise that a frame drop has happened.

Any idea how can I avoid this?

Edit: Thanks for all the help! I have tried everything suggested. Here is the result:
    - Texture to zero (which makes the game look like Alone in the Dark 1) has absolutely no effect, so it has nothing to do with memory and textures
    - Entity Animation 0.0 seems to have almost zero effect to the frame drops
    - Shadows down to 0-50 meters have a major impact, the frame drops are there but much less frequently (means each 6-10 seconds, which is still bothering though)
    - spinning/turning with keyboard eliminates the problem, but constantly switching between the mouse and the keyboard with your right hand is an utter chore...

Solution so far: I try to play with shadows at 20-50 (below that it looks weird when shadows appear in front of you) and using keyboard for turning. But if it proves to be too cumbersome and bothering then I will leave PG until it gets fixed (afaik they are working on it).
    Last edited by Zygos; 06-13-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I blame big memory transfers. Try to reduce the memory used by textures, there is a setting for that. See if it helps significantly, because the reduction in quality is also drastic.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Are you moving with the mouse or with the keys? If you are using the mouse to move, you might want to try the keys and see if that makes a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niph View Post
    I blame big memory transfers. Try to reduce the memory used by textures, there is a setting for that. See if it helps significantly, because the reduction in quality is also drastic.
    Memory should not be a problem (16gb RAM, 4gb VRAM), but I'm gonna try that. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShieldBreaker View Post
    Are you moving with the mouse or with the keys? If you are using the mouse to move, you might want to try the keys and see if that makes a difference.
    Thank you! I turn with my mouse as I do in all other MMORPGs. I will test doing it with the keys, but I do hope that we can find a better solution since turning with keys is burdensome as hell...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using mouse in towns and anywhere with lots of people, I always get completely turned around by the short freezes. It still happens all over the place, just not as bad.
    Using arrows keys helps a bit.

Thread Footer