Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necromancy & Dungeons Feedback

I just started playing and I really want to be a necro for RP sake, but the mechanics seem very anti-fun, it's just too punishing, yet the class isn't very strong. So we have to be in a graveyard to summon our skeletons, which means if one dies we gotta run back across the map or sometimes an entirely different map just to summon them.

My suggestion is simply changing it from 3 graveyards to 1 graveyard.

I'm not entirely sure on late game balance, I've asked around and was told it's bad, I'm only lvl 25 in necro so far. I just think it should be somewhat fun and not so tedious. I'm sure there's a ton of other suggestions about balance, maybe adding in spectres, or the ability to make a golem or homunculus from body parts we collect, I think that'd be cool.

Anyway, that's just my feedback for this class.

update: Lvl 35 now, the class has just felt so incredibly weak the entire time. I can't really solo anything now, where as sword/psychology let me solo pretty much everything at my level. Currently playing as fire/necro, I'll try spider/necro soon, regardless, the minions are super weak in all regards, hp, dmg, AI, etc. In the future I'll level bard and druid to try with it too.
    ---------------------------------------------------

On another note, this game seems to be getting a lot of new players and dungeons are becoming overcrowded, I had a suggestion for this too. Without forsaking the open-dungeon aspect, and without making it impossible on solo players with spawn-rate increases, I think the best solution would be to have a 'channel-server' system for dungeons, so when you enter you can choose to switch channels to another one if the first is overcrowded. This will eventually be necessary if the game becomes very popular, it's already becoming an issue trying to farm or simply do quests in lower level dungeons.
    Last edited by Leycian; 06-22-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leycian View Post
    I just started playing and I really want to be a necro for RP sake, but the mechanics seem very anti-fun, it's just too punishing, yet the class isn't very strong. So we have to be in a graveyard to summon our skeletons, which means if one dies we gotta run back across the map or sometimes an entirely different map just to summon them. The likelihood of having 3 graves next to eachother is almost impossible unless you get 3 friends to die. The only alternative is to use the free-summon archers.
    You can suicide thrice in the entrance of the map for 3 tombstones that will last a LONG time. It was a rather popular strat a few years ago. Also, I always find it humorous, because back then the class was too strong, so people didn't care too much about it.

This will eventually be necessary if the game becomes very popular, it's already becoming an issue trying to farm or simply do quests in lower level dungeons.
    You see overcrowding because we don't have that many places to go yet - the intention is for the cap to be level 125. These are higher-level players who are trying to farm stuff, mostly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raviollius View Post
    You can suicide thrice in the entrance of the map for 3 tombstones that will last a LONG time. It was a rather popular strat a few years ago. Also, I always find it humorous, because back then the class was too strong, so people didn't care too much about it.

You see overcrowding because we don't have that many places to go yet - the intention is for the cap to be level 125. These are higher-level players who are trying to farm stuff, mostly.
    Ok, so I've lvld to 35 now and my opinion has slightly altered, yea we can suicide 3x, I still think it should be changed to 1 grave instead of 3 graves though. That's very counter intuitive for noobs, plus suiciding 3x is a bit ridiculous..

Other than that, necromancer just feels so weak... I've tried hard to stick with it so far but it's sort of pointless, I could do so much more as anything else really. I can't really solo anything now, where as sword/psychology let me solo pretty much everything at my level.

Currently I've tried sword/necro and I'm using fire/necro right now. I plan on trying bard, spider, and druid with it to see how they pair, but it'll be a while before I have them all leveled with decent gear/mods to get a good idea.

Maybe this will change in time, but I've been told it stays weak so idk.
    Last edited by Leycian; 06-20-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing pairs well with Necro. No other support ability makes real sense, since other heals than the Necro ones won't work on your pets.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's rough, yeah. I've been thinking about why lately. I've leveled bard, ment, fire, and psych past 50, and ice and necro around 30, and necro is definitely at the bottom of the heap. It's still loads of fun to play. I very much enjoy using the rooting ability, then enraging my skeletons and letting them go to work. They're just inconvenient, though. Necro seems to break the general rule of design for this server - if it's inconvenient, it should be more powerful.

Bard is ridiculously inconvenient to level to 70, and ridiculously powerful. Ice/Fire magic are very inconvenient, and quite powerful. Ment and psych are not very inconvenient, and are not very powerful - don't get me wrong, they're great, just not busted-great. Necro, though...tough to unlock behind a decently powerful boss, tough to unlock some abilities behind a L35 goblinese requirement, tough to play requiring cemeteries and reagents, tough to maintain due to fragile pets, some of which actually kill themselves over time, tough to supplement without any pet/group buff synergies...and not terribly strong in practice relative to all this.

In the spirit of not complaining without offering suggestions:

1. Remove the graveyard requirement and replace it with a humanoid corpse OR femur+rib+skull, or make a new craftable called "Bag of Bones" which alchemists can make at low levels. Rib + femur + skull + canvas = bag of bones. Make the bag of bones the reagent for casting skellies, but without other requirements. Or heck, give us choices - bag of bones OR corpse OR graveyard. The three gravestones thing is a neat idea in theory, but in practice, it just becomes a chore.

2. Give some passive side-bar slot-able skills which juice up skeletons. Make them stackable. It'd let necro customize our skellies a bit more. Maybe include some HP boosters, Armor Boosters, Rage Boosters, maybe one that increases summons cap further, and some which change skeleton damage types or somesuch. That way, we would sacrifice more side-bar utility to make our skellies more viable. You'd probably also see more necros addicted to gur horta.

3. Perhaps lower the cooldown on enrage and make it cost HP or something. Change the name to Bloodlust. It could be made a channeled ability - lose hp while you're channeling to drive your skeletons berserk.

4. Make group spells affect summons in some limited form. Perhaps make it a gear mod - "Your party abilities affect all party members including summons, but at 75% effectiveness." Hell, something to give some synergy. Let our skellies get those mentalism auras or bard song boosts. They don't need to be 100% effective, but right now, minion-mancers don't really feel like there are any synergies.

Obviously, implementing all these at the same time would be insane. Hopefully, there's something in here that might be helpful. I'm definitely enjoying necromancy, and am hoping I can find a way to make bard/necromancer work - I like the idea of skeletons dancing to my creepy music a la Danse Macabre. Also, anyone interested in grouping up, I'd like to start a necro-themed guild. See the guild forum, Legion of Bones.

-Soulspinner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to start by saying that when I was first looking in to this game necromancy was the thing that pushed me over the edge and got me to to pick it up. It's one of my favourite skill/classes and not nearly enough games let you do it. That said, I have to agree with everyone else here, necromancy is just plain weak. So far I'm at 54 necro and I honestly believe that at this point it is actually holding me back from taking on appropriately leveled content. There are a few reasons for this I believe.

First off, summons. Skeletons seem to be trying to do two separate things at once and there is quite a disparity between them. They are weak, fragile, relatively cheap to summon and very impersonal which tells me they should be disposable fodder that you just toss at your enemy. Unfortunately they also have a rather debilitating summoning requirement that seems to say they should be something you need to invest in and more or less treasure. Beyond their split personality issues, each of the skeleton types have their own issues. Warriors are completely useless because they only deal no damage to anything with armour and can't draw agro because of that. Mages have a good concept in that they are glass cannons, high(er relative to the others) damage with low armour and health, in practice this just leads to them getting one shot if you fail to properly control agro or a pat walks up from behind that you don't notice. And then there is my personal favourite/the only useable type, the archer. The archer strikes a decent balance between the warrior and the mage with decent (for my level) survivability and good damage (which is just as good as the mages for some reason therefore making the mage obsolete) but has a tendency to get afraid of enemies getting too close and sprinting down the hallway to agro several groups of enemies or having issues pathing on narrow paths and running off to who knows where and dieing while not attacking the enemies it drags back to you. In short, warriors don't do enough damage. Mages are too squishy and don't do enough damage. Archers are decent but it's annoying when they freak out in melee and just agro more stuff.

Next up we have the meat golem. I like the concept of this, something that as you play rots away and you have to keep buffing it with create super zombie to be relevant, but in practice I don't think it works out very well. It just melts too quickly and as someone who isn't really playing a support character I don't have all that much time between spraying out my ranged DPS to run over to a corpse and poke it back in to the semblance of a meaty dwarf. Not only that, but the fact that it takes up not one, but two normal skill slots means you have even less you can spend on other more 'useful' skills. There are two ways I can see to fix this skill, first is to make meat goblin a sidebar skill that doesn't melt itself in to oblivion, instead it exists as a slider between weak and strong, it starts at strong and over two to five minutes it's stats slowly degrade towards the weak side, but it doesn't outright die. You would use the create super zombie skill to reset it's stats back to the strong side. The other option I could see would be to get rid of create super zombie entirely and have shambling corpse act as a toggle ability. Instead of having to run over and prod a corpse you would simply turn on the skill and it would generate an aura around you that when it detected a corpse would raise it as a meat golem as long as you had power available. These versions would obviously be weaker than the current shambling corpse, wouldn't last as long and wouldn't be able to take advantage of create super zombie. The upside would be that they would truly be disposable because you wouldn't have to spend all your time poking bodies, you could have more than one, and they would die off fast enough that you wouldn't have to micromanage them.

Necromancy isn't all about minion mastering though, it's also got a small repertoire of black magic which I can honestly say is kind of meh. The damage skills feel more like they are just their to pull enemies. Death's Hold is probably the best skill in all of the necromancer skill tree and would be one of the few things I wouldn't touch. Deathgaze should either be renamed spookytouch or given at least a ten meter range, because running twenty meters over to the enemy just to fear them is not my idea of fun as a ranged attacker. Lifesteal just sucks damage wise, and sucks as a heal unless it's aoe. heal undead and rebuild undead are kind of redundant and with how fragile and low agro undead are makes these two skills completely useless. Either your minions are already dead, or haven't taken damage in the first place. Spleens Power is a well designed skill and I very much approve of it, the health one I can assume is just as useful, but I haven't tried it. Wave of Darkness is actually decent compared to a lot of the other necromancy skills.

Now that that is out of the way I have to say that I like a lot of what Leodane was saying, although I would go a little further. I think that necromancy could honestly use a companion skill in the vein of bucklesmithing, fletching or meditation. I would call it something like bonestitching and it would be used to make the bag of bones that Leodane mentioned. Additionally it would be used to make inscribled skulls/ribs/femurs that you could use to upgrade and customize your skeletons (sort of like disposable gear that would go away when they died.) This would handily resolve a lot of the issues with skeletons as they are because you would both be able to summon them (a lot more expensively) anywhere, and then make them not completely useless at higher levels by gearing them up. Also skeletons should totally be able to take advantage of non-priest party buffs and heals.

Anyways, as a dedicated necromancer there are a couple of things I would love to see. First off, a bone bearer, a summon that would act like a storage chest. It would be a great place to keep all the bags of bones/inscribed bone bits you would make with bonestitching. An useful ability for fighting undead, it's weird that as a necromancer undead are one of the strongest things against me. An aoe CC option, or a knockback (perhaps in the form of being able to explode one of your minions.)

Either way, I'd like to thank the devs. I love the game, and I love the flavour of the necromancy skill, even if it is kind of weak right now. So keep up the good work! And please give us necromancers more toys to play with. >.>

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Necromancers should have one proper, permanent pet they can put gear they find on, and that levels when they level. Doesn't have to be as good as the AH pet (which really isn't great either), but it should generate AOE aggro.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not really touched a necro build yet, but I was told just totally ignore the pets. Once you think of it like a pet that has bonus pets, it becomes easier to appreciate.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate what?
    That you can use half of the skill?
    Other skills work 100%, why appreciate the fact that you can only use 50%?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update: Lvl 35 now, the class has just felt so incredibly weak the entire time. I originally leveled as sword/mentalism, but even as sword/necro it's just disgustingly weak. Currently playing as fire/necro, I'll try spider/necro soon, regardless, the minions are super weak in all regards, hp, dmg, AI, etc. In the future I'll level bard and druid to try with it too.
    I'll give you a tip: there's a mod in necro that improves your slashing damage by a LOT, because it's a % increase that's calculated after almost everything. You can have 100% uptime on it. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbaums View Post
    I have not really touched a necro build yet, but I was told just totally ignore the pets. Once you think of it like a pet that has bonus pets, it becomes easier to appreciate.
    This. 2/3 of the complaints itt are about pets or pet mods.

Pets aren't in a nice place currently, actually ever since the blanket pet nerf. Back then, necromancy was considered THE best skill, in no small part due to the pets!

That said, you guys should pay more attention to the other skills/mods in necro. It isn't a top-tier skill anymore, but it isn't meh tier either.
    They are weak, fragile, relatively cheap to summon and very impersonal which tells me they should be disposable fodder that you just toss at your enemy. Unfortunately they also have a rather debilitating summoning requirement that seems to say they should be something you need to invest in and more or less treasure.
    The free skelly archers are disposable. The warriors are able to be modded into usability - mod for provoke undead(damage +136%; +36 for 10 seconds) and taunt(1700% extra taunt! Burn some of the enemy's armor if you have to, they should get the aggro back easily enough). Also the 70% less rage mod on skellies is OP. Try it.

Drop shambling corpse completely, it's not worth it.
    Deathgaze should either be renamed spookytouch or given at least a ten meter range, because running twenty meters over to the enemy just to fear them is not my idea of fun as a ranged attacker
    Let's not make all fear skills equal, ok? Thanks. It's a tool to peel stuff from you, not for ranged fear'ing.
    Lifesteal just sucks damage wise, and sucks as a heal unless it's aoe
    That's because it does both of these things at once. You can mod it to be better, but it shouldn't be naturally good at doing both.
    I think that necromancy could honestly use a companion skill in the vein of bucklesmithing, fletching or meditation. I would call it something like bonestitching and it would be used to make the bag of bones that Leodane mentioned.
    I believe it's already in the game, it just was't expanded on yet. From the wiki: "All skeleton-summon abilities besides Free-Summon Skeletal Archer require a Femur (Free-Summon requires a Humanoid skull)."

I imagine higher-tier undead will use better skulls.

About dealing with enemy undead... I think necromancy should NOT have an ability to kill undead easily. It makes no sense. What they should have, imo, is a way to bind enemy undead as temporary pets.
    Last edited by Raviollius; 06-22-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Thread Footer