Welcome to Project: Gorgon!

Project: Gorgon is a 3D fantasy MMORPG (massively-multiplayer online role-playing game) that features an immersive experience that allows the player to forge their own path through exploration and discovery. We won't be guiding you through a world on rails, and as a result there are many hidden secrets awaiting discovery. Project: Gorgon also features an ambitious skill based leveling system that bucks the current trend of pre-determined classes, thus allowing the player to combine skills in order to create a truly unique playing experience.

The Project: Gorgon development team is led by industry veteran Eric Heimburg. Eric has over a decade of experience working as a Senior and Lead Engineer, Developer, Designer and Producer on successful games such as Asheron’s Call 1 and 2, Star Trek Online and other successful Massively Multiplayer Online Games.

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously considering dropping this game because of the shaming

I have almost 500 hours into this game. Up to now it was my favorite MMORPG ever and I made all my friends into MMOs buy it.

But now I'm starting to regret it.

I'm starting to have a good solo build and to be able to solo dungeons. However, two times in less than a week, someone shamed me on global chat for... killing a boss in a dungeon before them? Calling me a griefer. How is that griefing? The first time the person was waiting for the boss' respawn, I thought he was afk, my mistake, I even apologised, never got an answer. Now I'm in a dungeon, I see a group, I run ahead of them, kill the boss that's a few rooms later, then when they come and see the dead boss, they shame me. Why? Just because I'm solo I don't have the right to kill bosses? I'm not even camping them, I'm just killing, looting and going away.

Is it the etiquette of this game of just going back and to not touch a single monster if some people are already in the dungeon?

This is ridiculous. I like to solo, I like challenging fights, I like to push the limits of the system. Grouping with level 80 characters to do a level 40 quest is not fun for me. And because of that I'm called a griefer?

And it's not even just me. At least once a week I see someone calling out someone else on global chat. At first I tended to ignore it but I now notice it a lot more.

Normally I would just block the people doing that, but the community is so small that I feel like my reputation is gonna be ruined just because I like to solo dungeons. It's not like I follow people and steal their kills at the last minute, or camp and farm bosses. I'm not griefing, I'm just playing. It's not my fault the game locks the loot and that the quest requires an item, I'm not the one who designed the game this way.

What am I supposed to do? Just wait until nobody is around? But then, should I then call griefers the people who kill a boss before me?

I keep seeing people saying how this game has a great community, but now I'm seriously starting to doubt it.

Never mind. Forget it. I uninstalled the game, this is getting too stressful. I play video games to relax and have fun, not to get accusations and people dirtying my name. This community is too small and I'm only around since a few months so I don't feel confident about this. You won, I won't be around anymore to "steal" your kills.
    Last edited by Procura; 08-31-2022 at 06:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m sorry that you had such a negative experience. For the most part I’ve found the community helpful when asking questions in chat. Less so when it comes to grouping. It’s been my experience that many of the lower level (sub 40), less advanced players are unable to group as the player base is more advanced that I am.

Concerning your direct comment about griefing. This is tough because I see both sides. If a group has been clearing a dungeon and they have cleared most of the mobs before the boss, then someone takes that boss, that’s 100% griefing. I’m not saying that’s what you did. I’m just clarifying what I think is bad game etiquette.

It might be a good idea to ask before you start working your way to a boss, to ask in chat if anyone is working on that boss. This can save you from wasting time on a boss that’s already being worked on. This is how things were done 20+ years ago in EQ as most kills were open world so we had to take turns to kill bosses. It’s important to understand that a lot of the player base comes from old school games and still has this mindset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During pre-Alpha, dungeon etiquette was to offer to group for boss fights. If a group was full, you waited your turn (was 15 minutes, now 8?).
    Many vets still have that mind-set, newer players can behave differently.
    The key point is to use /n to communicate.
    It was also common practice to auto-invite people to group when they entered the dungeon.

Also, if you entered a dungeon to 'grind' and someone else was already doing so i.e. grinding already, it was considered polite to say 'Hello' and leave.

Times change, people come and go, but the PG community is better behaved than many others.
    That said, poor behaviours should be brought to the attention of the Admins.

I would suggest that you do not permit the actions of a few, stop you from playing a game you enjoy.
    Last edited by poulter; 09-01-2022 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weilan View Post

1. Get your sh*t together and face your problems and resolve them and continue playing the game you enjoy.
    I appreciate your post SO MUCH! This is what I try to teach my kids. Life isn't fair. Deal with it. Face your problems. Anyway, sometimes we all need a little dose of tough love. Thanks Weilan.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can happen in the lower level dungeons where it's easy for a higher level to solo. But there shouldn't be people calling you out in global. The respawn on those bosses is amazingly quick for a purpose. You are correct that people shouldn't be calling you out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A. I doubt 2 knuckleheads will be listened to on a level that would affect your reputation.

B. If you allow 2 people who lashed, in what was probably a moment of frustration more than anything else, to bother you, then you will never enjoy any MMO, as that is the least amount of grief you will get in any game.
    Coglin, Master Bard, subsequent druid. - Master of all Animals that can be Handled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in a daily that had group A take out a boss before group B got there and trash talking ensued. While group B complained, and btched, and belly ached, and whined, and p*ssed, and moaned and beleaguered the turn of events group C came along took care of business too.

In short, you can't control people, but you can control how you respond to them.

If you think threats or harassment has happened copy the chat logs into a support ticket. Block/Ignore is a beautiful thing too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As they stated they were few rooms away from boss, not last group of mobs before the boss. And what do you mean that they don't get to reap the rewards, lol? Its not like they will NEVER get rewards or something lol, and OP said he ran to the boss so doesn't matter if mobs were up or not. Boss respawn timer is ~8min, if they were few rooms away from boss by the time they come to the boss he will respawn in 3-4 min anyways so its not that big of the deal, that goes same even if its not the last boss where by the time they come boss will be soon to be respawned. Its not like they are camping or literally snatched the boss 2 meters in front of the group. Word griefing is being thrown around too easily.

Are you suggesting that OP should have waited the group to finish the daily? That would make trivial daily dung run 2 or 3 times longer than it should, and for the group that got ran ahead it was maybe 8 -10 min slower.

And if you think that if someone who is frustrated gets to publicly shame, especially about something like that , is okay , then I'm not sure what kind of 'positivity' this game is trying to promote. Yeah let me just log on look at the player work order board, get frustrated and go off on resellers in global. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the global stuff is a bit off but if I was moving through a dungeon and came across a group that looked like they were moving towards a boss I would wait to see if they managed it. Just feels like the right thing to do. If they are half a dungeon away then fair enough but a few rooms and they are clearly moving towards it, I would wait or go somewhere else.

Thread Footer